Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

Stability is definitely linked to temps

I have had a LOT of CTDs since SU5. I bought a new PC a few weeks ago and did stability testing prior to SU5. My GPU and CPU never got that hot, as my CPU was in the high 70s C and my GPU was rock steady at 70 C. Trying to track down CTDs today i was closely monitoring temps and my GPU was in the high 80s. That was after maybe a 15 minute flight. I installed MSI Afterburner and created a basic fan profile to crank the fan up should temps exceed 65 C and so far very stable. 

If you are having CTD issues and haven’t done this already, download something like HWMonitor and watch your GPU and CPU temps during a flight. I don’t like to see my GPU exceed 70 C or my CPU cores exceed 80 C. If you see temps higher than what is considered safe for your GPU/CPU you may need to use something like MSI Afterburner to get those fans humming when temps start rising. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

The exact reason why I delidded my processor when I did my overclock, and also lapped the CPU as well.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

The exact reason why I delidded my processor when I did my overclock, and also lapped the CPU as well.

Yeah that definitely helps but most people won’t do that. Some will, but i think most need a simpler solution and managing temps with fan software is pretty easy. But more importantly, this sim is heating up GPUs much more than before the update. My GPU is 99-100% continuously, and my stability testing prior to SU5 was worthless. People experiencing CTDs need to monitor their temps pronto. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Not sure I’ve had a long enough flight yet to get to those temps before it crashes.

I’ve been monitoring temps and yes my cpu is now in the low seventies but my gpu is getting less of a work out than before.

Also, DCS in VR gives my system much more of a work out and that does not crash.

Not convinced it has anything to do with temps...

Temperature issues?  Is this a whole New World?

• Like 1

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

1 minute ago, JDWalley said:

Temperature issues?  Is this a whole New World?

A lot of that going around, suddenly.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Yep .. Im Overclocked but the cpu is under an AIO so thats fine. Im more concerned with the GPU.. Pushing 90.. and its one of the best coolers for the GPU type. No CTD's yet but im probably going to cool it down with just running it with a milder OC and undervolt rather than ramping up the fans. This service update is now serving up some serious temps. since more cores are being used and the GPU is now running pretty much at full speed all the time. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

My issues with SU5 haven't been so much with CTD's, though I've definitely had a few. Problem I'm experiencing are screen freezes. These seem to occur roughly every 10 minutes or so, during both navigating menus and flight itself, and last anywhere from 20-45 secs. Audio and mouse continue to work throughout and, if the freeze occurs during flight, the flight continues once the freeze passes. Rarely do these freezes lead to a CTD. Prior to SU5, the sim ran wonderfully so this has been perplexing. When I can manage to get a flight started, I'm seeing the expected FPS increases on full Ultra so I'd sure like to figure this out.

I too thought maybe my temps were running high, causing the freezes. But I'm running MSI Afterburner, and GPU and CPU temps are both running mid-60's C, so I don't see a problem there. Double checked all drivers and they are up to date. Wired keyboard and mouse so I have no Bluetooth device connections.

Rig is fairly new. I7-9700, RTX 2080 Super w/8GB, 32GB RAM, SSD

So i did several hours of flights tonight using the CJ4, 787 and FBW A320. Zero crashes. The CTD issues i was having seem to be completely attributable to my GPU overheating, because now it is consistently running at 70 C without issues. Also i was able to maintain 75-79 C for the CPU, and nothing strange has happened all night. Interestingly, i did a bunch of load testing prior to SU 5 and my system was running well, and cool. The new update really taxed my system far beyond the previous release. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bartolet7 said:

My issues with SU5 haven't been so much with CTD's, though I've definitely had a few. Problem I'm experiencing are screen freezes. These seem to occur roughly every 10 minutes or so, during both navigating menus and flight itself, and last anywhere from 20-45 secs. Audio and mouse continue to work throughout and, if the freeze occurs during flight, the flight continues once the freeze passes. Rarely do these freezes lead to a CTD. Prior to SU5, the sim ran wonderfully so this has been perplexing. When I can manage to get a flight started, I'm seeing the expected FPS increases on full Ultra so I'd sure like to figure this out.

I too thought maybe my temps were running high, causing the freezes. But I'm running MSI Afterburner, and GPU and CPU temps are both running mid-60's C, so I don't see a problem there. Double checked all drivers and they are up to date. Wired keyboard and mouse so I have no Bluetooth device connections.

there have been issues reported with sound drivers.

Cap your fps and your computer will run cool and stable.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

7 hours ago, Bartolet7 said:

Is it a Alienware? We both have the same GPU and problem.No idea if this is normal, because this is the most high graphics game i got but the fans go crazy from the very start to shutdown.

• Like 1