Sign in to follow this  
brucewtb

FSX in a virtual Vista sky

Guest flight

The Vista OS was created with "Live Anywhere" in mind. I for one welcome Vista as to me it blurs the line between console and computer. The ease by which FSX could be played with an XBox 360 online with fellow computer friends is exciting to say the least. There's very little an XBox 360 cannot do in comparison with a high end computer. How exciting would it be to have an online virtual sky filled with fellow simmers, all communicating on their headsets to one another? Such could be possible with Vista and XBox Live.An article from the Official XBox magazine explains why a new OS, plus why all the new security features are inherent with that OS. The following is from the Aug. 2006 issue of the Official XBox mag."In a nutshell, the Live Anywhere vision integrates your XBox Live Friend's list with your Windows Vista PC and your cell phone, allowing you to see what your fellow gamers are playing - and what platform they're playing on - at any given time from any device.""Microsoft is able to extend the online experience to multiple platforms.""In the Live Anywhere vision, you'd be able to use Live Anywhere in Forza 2 to, say, create and edit paint jobs for all of your cars on your Vista PC at work, tweak the suspension and handling characteristics of it on your mobile phone, and then jump on your XBox 360 when you get home and take your newly tuned creation out for a spin."(Just think of creating scenery and planes from your computer/cell phone/XBox 360)"Shadowrun, the upcoming cyberpunk-inspired first-person shooter from Crimson Skies developer FASA Studio, will be the first of many Vista-360 dual releases in which we'll finally be able to grip our XBox 360 controllers and go head-to-head with mouse-and-keyboard-wielding PC gamers.""We are building our mobile solution to support all major phone platforms, including Windows Mobile, Java, and BREW..."(And now the reason there's so much security features in Vista)"But what about security? PC games, as they're on an open platform, are vulnerable to hacking. What's to stop a PC gamer using the Vista version of Shadowrun from hacking the game and ruining the experience for XBox 360 players? "Security is a No.1 concern of the XBox Live team," Microsoft says, "and you can guarantee that we'll do everything we can to maintain a secure environment to maximize the entertainment experience of playing online.""I have to chuckle when I read posts in here about the XBox 360 being an inferior console when compared with a computer. Some in here must have not looked at a console since the early Nintendo days, by the descriptions they give. The XBox 360 is not a console, it is a top of the line home entertainmentcomputeronline gaming experience. The only thing similiar to the XBox 360 and past consoles is the word "console". There are games out right now that the majority of computers owned by members of this forum would have to turn the effects down just to get them to run. Games that use real time, real lighting, real weather, etc.So I'm just waiting to see how things work out. I'll get FSX eventually, and buy a Vista computer eventually. But I really hope the day comes when everything will be integrated seamlessly. And as far as Microsoft seems concerned, that day is not far off!

>(And now the reason there's so much security features in>Vista)>>"But what about security? PC games, as they're on an open>platform, are vulnerable to hacking. What's to stop a PC gamer>using the Vista version of Shadowrun from hacking the game and>ruining the experience for XBox 360 players? "Security is a>No.1 concern of the XBox Live team," Microsoft says, "and you>can guarantee that we'll do everything we can to maintain a>secure environment to maximize the entertainment experience of>playing online.""Ohhh, now everything's finally clear! The security features in Vista are there to prevent PC users to cheat when playing online with Xbox users. :)Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Guest flight

I believe that's part of it. XBox Live is Microsofts flagship right now. A lot of their energy and resources is being dedicated solely to championing this. Heh, heh. Maybe that's why such a poor job was done on FSX!?

Blimey scary stuff indeed!Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."