Sign in to follow this  
jarmstro

X-Planes big chance!

4 hours ago, Gulfstream said:

...when you have tens of millions of lines of interdependent code...

Are you just guessing at that number ?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

I would never fly XP11 in a Vanilla state. no one does either. 

I do (except for add-on aircraft).

I have not a single third-party scenery or library installed now, although I used to have the Aerosoft EDDF airport and one airport from Boundless to troubleshoot a compatibility problem.

I also don´t run any orthophotos, weather addons or other plugins altering the looks.

Pretty much vanilla - and I am totally happy with it 🙂

I am not suggesting that this is the way to go - I am probably on the far end of the "don´t care so much about the looks of it" spectrum...just shows that there ARE some (at least one) that does run it vanilla.

Edited by Janov
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Janov said:

I do (except for add-on aircraft).

I have not a single third-party scenery or library installed now, although I used to have the Aerosoft EDDF airport and one airport from Boundless to troubleshoot a compatibility problem.

I also don´t run any orthophotos, weather addons or other plugins altering the looks.

Pretty much vanilla - and I am totally happy with it 🙂

I am not suggesting that this is the way to go - I am probably on the far end of the "don´t care so much about the looks of it" spectrum...just shows that there ARE some (at least one) that does run it vanilla.

Where's the place for the romanticism of flying ??? 😉
Beautiful views outside the window, clouds, sky, sun, landscape in the distance - all this is also a love of flying ... not only a detailed cockpit.
There is always a moment to look out the window 😉 

53 minutes ago, Bulva said:

There is always a moment to look out the window 😉 

I do that enough in my real job...

20210908-062801.jpg

Edited by Janov
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

XPLANE11 Vanilla, alI have is the freeware mesh and weather,nothing else. I cannot see the sense in spending money on airports when you are sitting in the cockpit preparing the flight.Close enough is good enough, which is why I edit the default for the gate way. All I need.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Janov said:

I do that enough in my real job...

Yeah. And you get paid for it.  I have to spend a lot to have a small substitute for it 😉 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

XPLANE11 Vanilla, alI have is the freeware mesh and weather,nothing else. I cannot see the sense in spending money on airports when you are sitting in the cockpit preparing the flight.Close enough is good enough, which is why I edit the default for the gate way. All I need.

Unless you’re a bush flyer. Nice, small airports really adds to the fun and immersion. 

11 hours ago, Murmur said:

Good to see that in one year, people went from steadfastly stating: "Another nail in the coffin for XP!!!1!11!!1" (even before the competing sim was released!) to: "Let's see how XP12 will try to compete".

For balance it's also good to see that the X-Plane loyalists have finally come to terms with the fact that X-Plane is now outdated and that XP12 is badly needed. That was very far from the case a year ago and I had many months of stick for pointing out that MSFS was in fact very good. Also that eye candy is not in fact unnecessary, MS have not pulled the plug, MSFS users were not serious flight simmers .etc etc. I look forward to XP12 which will hopefully enable me to enjoy both sims in equal measure.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

For balance it's also good to see that the X-Plane loyalists have finally come to terms with the fact that X-Plane is now outdated and that XP12 is badly needed. That was very far from the case a year ago and I had many months of stick for pointing out that MSFS was in fact very good. Also that eye candy is not in fact unnecessary, MS have not pulled the plug, MSFS users were not serious flight simmers .etc etc. I look forward to XP12 which will hopefully enable me to enjoy both sims in equal measure.

your PC was outdated before you bought it, as was your phone and everything else you by. XPLANE is not "outdated" its just catching up with the ever changing tech, which as you see even for Vulcan takes time to get right. All to please those who love eye candy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jarmstro said:

Don't know who you're referring to, but since the first trailer of MFS came out, I recognized that it was visually much better than the contemporary sims. And I always recognized that XP needed many improvements, especially in the weather and lighting department.

Infact, I'd say 95% of XP community agreed, since visual improvements in those areas were (by far) the top voted requests in the XP feedback website. Anyway, glad that the presumptuous "another nail in the coffin" crowd was terribly wrong... 🤭

• Like 3

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

56 minutes ago, Murmur said:

Anyway, glad that the presumptuous "another nail in the coffin" crowd was terribly wrong... 🤭

Indeed.

4 hours ago, Murmur said:

Infact, I'd say 95% of XP community agreed, since visual improvements in those areas were (by far) the top voted requests in the XP feedback website.

Heh. If those 95% are the 95% that never post in internet forums, then maybe 😄

Anyway, glad that the presumptuous "another nail in the coffin" crowd was terribly wrong... 🤭

I'd say this one is still ongoing, wouldn't you?

• Like 1

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

5 hours ago, Murmur said:

Don't know who you're referring to,

I was referring to all those who called me a troll in an effort to get me cancelled simply for stating the bleeding obvious. I wont forget but I may forgive.😀 Not so much on this forum but on another.

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

All to please those who love eye candy.

I never understood this sentiment.  A lot flying in the real world would consist of navigating via specific buildings on the ground, dodging around a build-up on the horizon, trying to get into a fog-shrouded airport in a mountain valley, or landing in the thick grass of a remote strip.

There's a reason "eye candy" is important to a flight simulator outside of "ooohs" and "aaahs".

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rka said:

Heh. If those 95% are the 95% that never post in internet forums, then maybe 😄

Very likely. The vast majority of users don't post in forums.

13 minutes ago, rka said:

I'd say this one is still ongoing, wouldn't you?

Everything's possible, but I explained with data why that is unlikely.

XP12 will certainly have the current users (i.e. the same users it had less than 2 years ago, and they're more users than it ever had before), plus users who are not using XP11 anymore but will buy XP12 (if only out of curiosity), plus the new users who will discover it at release. So yes, I'd say the "nail in the coffin" comments were quite ridiculous in hindsight.

• Like 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]