Sign in to follow this  
andy1252

SU5 seems to be working for me

Like a lot of folk, I had a terrible download for this update - started about 17.30 and still only at 30% at 02.00 when i gave up and left it. Main part done at 09.00 and the remaining 24Gb went quickly. First couple of nervous flights got the CTD thing going on. Turned off AI traffic and haven't had one since. Had a couple of occasions where the flight I'd set up refused to load, in that I had to forcibly close the sim via task manager after waiting maybe 20 minutes for the flight to load, but that turned out to be a specific addon (part of Bijan's seasons, the UK Gorse file, but I'm not entirely sure it should have been in use anyway). Initially saw a few iritating pop-ups but upped my LOD and not really aware of that much now.

But once I did get flying, a couple of tests up from EGMC to London, and LFPO around Paris, I find that I'm getting a very smooth flying experience. I'm capped at 30 fps (that's all I need) and I'm getting that 99% of the time, and it is very smooth so far. I've gone back to my old LOD values of 500 (via the .cfg file) and I'm still getting the smooth 30 fps and the scenry is looking good out to the horizon. Got Bijan's seasons / trees working, just put all my libraries back in (via addons linker) and they haven't caused problems, The only thing I've found broken is some of the Mugz mods, which is a shame, but maybe they'll get updated.

So I've yet to work my way through my various add-on scenery packs - that'll take a while as I have hundreds, but for me, it seems to be working fine.

So why am I posting this? Not to brag in any way, but just to say that it's not necessarily all doom n'gloom with this update. There obviously are real issues for some people, and for all I know I may yet regret posting this as I explore further, but it seems to me it can work, and work extremely well. I just hope that either the upcoming hotfix, or any further ones to come, resolve the issues for those of you who are suffering with problems.

So, here's a couple of shots grabbed over LA. PG is turned off - I'm not a fan - and these are all shot on a 4k display, LOD at 500, and everything set at ultra. Frame rates hovering mostly at 30, occasionally dipping to 24-25 very briefly, but not for long enough to affect the smoothness of the flight. LA has usually been maybe 20 fps tops for me before now, with the occasional pause/stutter. My CPU was around 20%, and GPU around 40% for these shots.

kaVVXCI.jpg

FwrTyi7.jpg

(Mind you - I won't be surprised if the hotfix actually ends up scr3wing things up for me, I have been on the receiving end of some issues with previous updates so I do know how this might all pan out <grin>)

• Like 6

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm quite baffled there are two groups, the ones being happy with the update (including me) and the ones facing CTDs, blurries, overexposition, or can't even start the sim.

Given, basically both report the truth, there should be some discerning features / settings / hardware / addons... obviously causing the difference.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 6

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Gents, quite similar for me. Right now I’m flying a test run in the just updated today FBW a320 from KBAB to KMIB, two of four AFB I served and controlled Air Traffic at in the eighties and nineties. So far the aircraft is performing as expected meaning it is working well. 

I for one am well pleased with this update and they have a hot fix promised for tomorrow.

As an aside, I worked at a Fortune 500 in IT for 15 years. Saw many releases, some were hum drum, some were big darn hairy deals and those ones were often deployed in a “Fail Forward” posture, no rollback desired. The logic is we gave you a ton of “new stuff”. Sure we broke some things, but well fix those. Go use the new stuff!

And that’s what I’m doing right now LOL, I’m using the “new stuff” and patiently waiting for them to fix the broken “old stuff”.

Good things come to those who wait!

-btacon

Edited by btacon
  • Like 1

I've tried the sim twice taking a 172 over Manhattan at 4K HDR but also capped at 30fps by Rivatuner.

For me as well, the Sim is quite smooth, with my fps averaging at 21 fps over Lower Manhattan. What amazes me is that RAM use is now around 8-9GB contrasted to the previous 16-22GB that I would see the sim hit.

Whatever Asobo did, seems to be a good job. I dont think I will upgrade my pc for a while to come now. If DirectX12 is released, I'd expect the sim's efficiency to improve further.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Home 64-bit; CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K; GPU: GEFORCE RTX 2060 Super 8GB; MB: Gigabyte Z87-HD3; RAM: 32GB@1866 MHz; HD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB SSD x 2, ; Display: 3840x1080 (Samsung 1080p/60 24" + Samsung 1080p/60 24")

andy, those pictures looks amazing, are you running in HDR mode. Because if you are, then how did you manage to get those screenshots without them being overexposed?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

How about this for some realistic looking SU5 clouds. 

RjDagXQ.png

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Hello all,

I cannot even get the update.  I click on the MSFS icon and get the start up sequence which proceeds to mandatory update (click ok). This goes to the market place and a half screen showing xbox xs and the install button in blue.  However, that does nothing and everything appears to be locked up with this screen. 

The same applies if I go straight to the Market place and click on MSFS 2020. I get the same screen that I mentioned before and that too is locked up and I cannot do anything further. I have looked through the forums and cannot find a similiar fault described.

Any ideas please?

Tony 

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I notice some long overdue fixes, notably that the full screen window no longer spreads across a screen and a half. I like the resizable interface. I did not lose any settings, I have yet to see a CTD, I have seen only a couple of stutters and one of those was at a major city.

As ever, there are indeed so many possible variables in both hardware and method used to update at whose door blame can be laid that it should be no surprise that there are those for whom this update just worked and those for whom this update just did not work.

If I had a complaint at all, it would have been the long time that it took to download, however, I have no complaint about that either, as it was my choice to try to do the update at the same time as probably millions of others were trying to update or install onto their XBoxes. That it was successful at all, after three PC reboots and almost 23 hours is an achievement by Microsoft and Asobo that is deserving of praise.

Basically ...

Issues resolved:

- initially failed to update but the suggestion to uninstall Process Lasso solved that problem

- had to revert to legacy mouse as the new mouse system simply will not work with my current addon aircraft

The Good:

- typical FPS went up from 55ish at 1440p pre-patch to more like 85 FPS post patch. I do not actually need 85 FPS but will I suppose it give me some headroom if I ever decide to get a VR headset.

The Bad:

- some of the visuals are not near as good. The sim in random places and weather (but not always) now looks cartoon like. In particular clouds at Ultra can range from acceptable through to looking truly kitsch and tacky depending on the weather

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

4 hours ago, MarkW said:

I am finding it rather good as well.  Interestingly if you actually fly the aircraft rather than inspecting scenery you don't notice any slight imperfections.

Slight imperfections, you mean like when you pull up to a jetway and it is invisible?

All kidding aside, well I suppose it works pretty well as long as you stay high enough in the air, don't focus your eyes on any clouds, don't use very many addons, and don't land at too many custom airports.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

42 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Basically ...

Issues resolved:

- initially failed to update but the suggestion to uninstall Process Lasso solved that problem

- had to revert to legacy mouse as the new mouse system simply will not work with my current addon aircraft

The Good:

- typical FPS went up from 55ish at 1440p pre-patch to more like 85 FPS post patch. I do not actually need 85 FPS but will I suppose it give me some headroom if I ever decide to get a VR headset.

The Bad:

- some of the visuals are not near as good. The sim in random places and weather (but not always) now looks cartoon like. In particular clouds at Ultra can range from acceptable through to looking truly kitsch and tacky depending on the weather

My thoughts exactly.  I also LIKE that fact that it loads quicker, huge help.  I also like that fact I can load a saved flight now.  Flying the floatplanes are a unique experience.  

Also, in VR, the gauges are clearer, so that helps as I use the Quest 2.

Simon

Edited by simon747
  • Like 1

Simon

5 hours ago, captain420 said:

andy, those pictures looks amazing, are you running in HDR mode. Because if you are, then how did you manage to get those screenshots without them being overexposed?

You would think that after 12 months of using MSFS that I would know all of the terms commonly used in posts but for the life of me I cannot work out what HDR mode is, can you put me out of my misery please?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

48 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

I suppose it works pretty well as long as you stay high enough in the air, don't focus your eyes on any clouds, don't use very many addons, and don't land at too many custom airports.

You forgot "and don't read too many of the more hysterical critics on here" who want you to believe that the end of the world is nigh. 

Edited by Espana Pete

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

4 minutes ago, Espana Pete said:

You forgot "and don't read too many of the more hysterical critics on here" which might lead you to believe the end of the world is nigh. 

A lot of stuff will need to be re-compiled and re-done, it's a first, maybe a second depending on what you count. To the end user, it might be fine depending on what you are doing, but it's got stability issues too, more so than the last 3 updates.

As far as your HDR question, well some TV's and monitors support HDR which is a specialized gamma and color mode with extended range. It basically means your brightest white can be brighter than before, but some colors can also be richer. It's the same thing as the HDR you see advertised on TV's and when they have an HDR mode.

The issue is with the problems of standardization with HDR, so your hope would be the display you have has a decent implementation of HDR by default, otherwise it requires complex calibration procedures to try to match the HDR of the game to the HDR capabilities of your display. 

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram