Sign in to follow this  
Fiorentoni

Extremely blurry / low re ground textures from high altitude

21 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Wasn't there a thread somewhere about MSFS graphics settings not saving and somehow reverting to medium or even low without telling you? Read it yesterday i think.

Maybe you're a victim of this bug?

Edit:

Here is the link:

Settings do not stick since SU5 - Install, Performance & Graphics - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

No it scales proportionally with the LOD setting, so it works as it is supposed to. No server issue either, I can replicate that anywhere.

Image Sharpening set to ON in the NVIDIA control panel seems to have improved the awful blurry ground textures. Still not ideal though...

I'd like to challenge anybody to take pictures from FL 400 top-down, terrain LOD 200 (important). If it NOT completely blurry and low-res, then there is something wrong on my side, whatever that is.

Ah by the way, please don't do this over the Himalayas, since LOD calculates down to the ground elevation level 🙂 So terrain elevation of 0-1000 feet should be okay (Central Europe, South Europe, East Coast USA etc.).

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

I'd like to challenge anybody to take pictures from FL 400 top-down, terrain LOD 200 (important). If it NOT completely blurry and low-res, then there is something wrong on my side, whatever that is.

Ah by the way, please don't do this over the Himalayas, since LOD calculates down to the ground elevation level 🙂 So terrain elevation of 0-1000 feet should be okay (Central Europe, South Europe, East Coast USA etc.).

Thank you!

I get the same as you at FL400. However around FL330 I get this . So I'm thinking a bug somewhere as it shouldnt change as you go higher

This is 4k, Ultra settings , GPU 3090 FTW3

OvXItSG.jpg

Edited by joec63

Semper Fi 

3 hours ago, joec63 said:

I get the same as you at FL400. However around FL330 I get this . So I'm thinking a bug somewhere as it shouldnt change as you go higher

This is 4k, Ultra settings , GPU 3090 FTW3

OvXItSG.jpg

Yes that's right, but it is not a bug, the LOD just drastically changed in SU5. If you edit your terrain LOD to 275 (usercfg file), you will see that you can go up to FL400 before it gets blurry. So it's not a bug, it is an intentional reduction of the LOD slider. That's the one thing I  really don't understand, since up there - without autogen or photogrammetry to draw - even the XBOX S gives you a solid 60 FPS no matter what LOD. So why in god's name did they have to dumb that down, too?

No matter what I do MSFS seems to overwrite the cfg file. Sooner or later.

6 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

No matter what I do MSFS seems to overwrite the cfg file. Sooner or later.

For me only when I change graphics settings in game. So yeah, if you use manually edited LOD values you cannot adjust your settings in game (which is annoying, since for FPS reasons I would love LOD 100 at KJFK and LOD 900 at FL380...).

On 7/30/2021 at 10:23 AM, Fiorentoni said:

I don't understand that. There is no autogen, no trees, no nothing drawn from that high up, so there is hardly any strain on the system. Why reduce textures even more? For 120 FPS that no one needs?

The textures in my picture are FS9 quality, and I'm not exaggerating. I don't understand that.

Detailed textures require memory, load and swap operations. When you fly high up you need to load more tiles because you see a larger portion of the planet. Maybe for some reason they thought some random hardware might not have enough resources for that. Go figure.

Just my speculation, but this could be the reason.

A.

Just check system memory and Vram usage. It’s been reduced to Xbox levels. Wasted system resources right there. Use to use 9 gigs vram and upward to 20 gigs system memory before update. Now not coming close to half that. Nothing wrong with lower end systems, but higher end systems are take the brunt of this update.

Hi, I have a problem of this kind:

Normally nearly everywhere the scenery has been sharp enough for me - even in the distance. Now on couple of flights ( FBWA320, Finland) the situation has been like: sharp scenery in the distance, but everything becomes gradually blurry and "dark" when near/under my plane.. Is it settings or isn't my GPU powerful enough? ( 1660/16GB)

Petteri

Petteri Pulkkinen

EFNU, Finland