Sign in to follow this  
beatle

Dual boot?

Guest goon

I have a dual boot system - XP Pro and Vista Ultimate. I installed FS-X under XP, and exported the registry entries to Vista (I don't know if that is correct, but it's worked with other games)When trying to run FS-X I get 'The application has failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail' and no FS-X.I'm not sure where I'm looking for more detail in the log, so I'm a bit stuck there. Is this a symptom of the activation thing, or has anyone got a single install to work on two OS's on one machine.Cheers,Gareth

Guest allcott

Yes, it is a a symptom of the activation thing, but you should be able to install a second installation of FSX to Vista if MS are to be belived and the changes to the EULA ave actually been made, rather than as a paper(less) exercise. Otherwise your type of installation is specifically EXcluded. Allcott

The Side by Side stuff is something that is installed as part of the setup process, but its not in the Registry, so just doing a registry copy wouldn't make that part work (it's in one of the OS managed directories, probably under C:Windows or whatever its called in Vista :-> ). This isn't directly related to activation (although the activation code may use one or more of the side by side assemblies), so even if you managed to copy the side by side stuff into the correct locations, the app would still know it wasn't activated under the Vista OS and would still need to be activated.You should be able to reinstall under Vista with no problem though. There are other things that won't be sync'd between the 2 OS's though, like the FSX.CFG file which is in different places between XP and Vista (the "Documents and Settings" subdir became "Users" for one thing), so anything related to that file (or the other files stored in the same location, like the scenery config file for addons, etc) would need to be kept uptodate by hand (or addons would need to be installed under both OS's). Generally, with most apps these days (at least those with an installer :-> ), you pretty much have to install the app for it to work correctly because of all the various bits and pieces that might need to be registered with the OS (or some subsystem, like COM or the Side by Side stuff, etc).

Guest goon

OK, thanks for the replies. To be clear, could I reinstall 'over the top' of the existing FS-X directory under Vista, and therefore save the space of having two installs of FS-X (Although they would operate as separate installs under each OS)?Thanks again,Gareth

I believe that will work, but I haven't actually tried it yet myself (I don't actually have any "installed" copies at the moment, all of mine are built from source :-> )