Sign in to follow this  
dogmanbird

Head movement stutter - how is it for you?

Are you experiencing any stutter while moving your head 90 degrees?

Does it continue for about a second after you stop moving your head?

The flights are perfectly smooth for me until I quickly move my head to look out side windows, or return to forward, even with graphics at minimum. Slower movements are fine.

Cheers,

Happens even in 2D. FPS dip each time with a quick panning around.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

Today I've been experimenting with fps cap in nvidia control panel. 45 so far seems to minimise it with the G2. It's a little worse with openxr reprojection on, but almost gone with it off. There might be a magical number to be found.

Edit - it seems to change with each restart of the sim. 

Edited by dogmanbird

Although Su5 has improved my fps by about 10 fps in VR with reprojection off, it's unfortunately done something whacky that's causing reprojection to have head tracking stutters and a rubber-banding effect with fps (speedups / slow downs), which weren't there in SU4. (Reverb G2, OpenXR WMR using latest versions)

Edited by dogmanbird

I don't use oculus much for gaming these days, but these used to be the keyboard shortcuts.  KP=numeric keypad

ATW is considered "off" in oculus land (asynchronous timewarp). Apparently it's on by default and I don't think it's possible to completely disable it otherwise the screen update would be too slow and will strobe (pretty hard on eyes).

CTRL+KP1 - Disable ASW and USE ATW
CTRL+KP2 - Force apps to 45hz, DISABLE ASW
CTRL+KP3 - Force apps to 45hz, ENABLE ASW
CTRL+KP4 - Enable ASW to operate automatically

Edited by dogmanbird
  • Upvote 1

You can use Oculus Tray Tool to switch between settings and when using a profile (not possible for the MSFS Store version), you can set these per profile.

https://apollyonvr.wixsite.com/vrtools

• Upvote 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

This problem is so bad for me, its rendered the sim basically unusable.  I cant even classify them as stutters, they're outright pauses - they're sooo long.  Moving my head either direction will cause the windows hourglass to appear and can take a few (very annoying) seconds to reset.  This seems to be worse at lower altitudes (say 1500' AGL) and seems to dissipate with higher.  Still testing, but this is a mess.   This sim worked fine with my VR setup before SU5.  I am on Oculus CV1, & PC specs are below.  All suggestions are welcomed but I think its up to Asobo to fix this.  

Meanwhile, P3D in VR still works fine.  I only mention this since the problem is so bad, I thought perhaps it might have been due to a problem with the PC itself or a windows update, nV driver problem, etc etc.  Not so... 

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

On 8/1/2021 at 10:22 PM, dogmanbird said:

Although Su5 has improved my fps by about 10 fps in VR with reprojection off, it's unfortunately done something whacky that's causing reprojection to have head tracking stutters and a rubber-banding effect with fps (speedups / slow downs), which weren't there in SU4. (Reverb G2, OpenXR WMR using latest versions)

I seem to have fixed it, but don't know why.

I did the following things;

Set the rolling cache value to 300GB (nearly all the free space left on my drive)

Set OpenXR developer tool custom render scale to minimum (reprojection still turned on) - it was at 100% which is what I normally use.

went for a flight, and it was back to perfectly smooth with no rubber banding or stuttering (kind of expected that)

then reset OpenXR developer tool custom render scale back to 100% (reprojection on)

set rolling cache to 30GB

went for a fly - still nice and smooth and has been for the entire day with many different flights

stuffed if I know why but I'm a happy chap again 🙂

FPS drops during rapid headset movements are still there though

Edited by dogmanbird
  • Upvote 1

I allways had and have this problem with my G2. Scenery outside can be smooth,  but whatever graphic settings, in cockpit it is always blurry when I move my head. Btw: also outside is blurry when moving my had or when moving and esp turning the plan for instance while taxiing, , the closer it is to the plane.

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)