Sign in to follow this  
neil0311

My observations and lack of issues

12 minutes ago, RandallR said:

I'm having many issues with controls - I had no control issues before the update.

There are no issues btwn the controls and my PC.  There are no issues btwn my controls and the sim (Options area shows full response to all inputs).  But start up a flight and it's a different story.  One aircraft will work properly - the next will have no elevator response - the next will be totally out-of-trim, and so on and so on with aircraft after aircraft having control input issues.  If I go back into Options, everything works...

I think this again points out the truth that a known config with finite hardware and software options…like Xbox…can be easier to code for, to ensure stability and reliability. PC hardware and software just has so many variables such as driver versions and hardware revs.

5 minutes ago, RandallR said:

A lot of the landscape appears "soft" to me now.  It's as if half of the resolution is gone or someone used a soft-focus filter.  Also, the landscape images that are used as background during the transition to flight are especially bad.  The images are really interesting and would normally be attractive, but the focus/resolution is now so bad I would think MS/ASOBO wouldn't want them being displayed with such poor quality.

I just landed at JFK now, and I flew in there last week. It looked awful today, the trees on approach looked they were covered in a green moving fungus, just awful. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Am I literally the only one who didn’t notice any loss of quality? I’m flying in VR and noticed a considerable bump in frame rates. This update has been positive for me apart from one CTD trying to load the FBW A320.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Zcott said:

Am I literally the only one who didn’t notice any loss of quality? I’m flying in VR and noticed a considerable bump in frame rates. This update has been positive for me apart from one CTD trying to load the FBW A320.

Yep, sounds like it. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

Who do yo think is paying them? Don't be so reluctant, we love conspiracy theories ... 😉

The ones that are already out there are not enough? I'm already finding it hard to keep track of all the emphatic variations of Asob/Microsoft is surreptitiously "dumbing down the sim because..." (place your favorite here)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3 minutes ago, Zcott said:

Am I literally the only one who didn’t notice any loss of quality? 

No, you're not. 

I took off from Flightbeam's Biarritz airport today, and by chance looked out the copilot's window. I've been to Biarritz, France, many times, and it looked just like I remembered it. Because of my old PC, I can only run terrain level detail at max 75, but the buildings, the color of the water, etc. For a moment I thought I was looking at the real thing. 

Reading all the comments, it almost sounds like folks are playing completely different simulators. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I had a wonderful day with MSFS and it's not over...I had no problem and for me it was pure happiness in live weather with lots of new visual varieties and it's always smooth as silk .Impossible for me not to see a great improvement with with this update.Love it!

wYZBB6Z.png

bIEJ33q.png

En37lfA.jpg

eC0xL1P.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

28 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

No, you're not. 

I took off from Flightbeam's Biarritz airport today, and by chance looked out the copilot's window. I've been to Biarritz, France, many times, and it looked just like I remembered it. Because of my old PC, I can only run terrain level detail at max 75, but the buildings, the color of the water, etc. For a moment I thought I was looking at the real thing. 

Reading all the comments, it almost sounds like folks are playing completely different simulators. 

I have a tendency to fly short flights around the state I grew up in. I have no addons. After the SU5, i was able to fly one flight. i noticed the change in lighting. But coming back later i noticed that the map didn't look the same, that is the underlying imagery.  I decided to wait for the hotfix and tried three times to fly in an area that I have flown after the update and three separate times 3 CTDs. Today I went back and tried again ( in same area) and although no CTD the imagery under the plane look as though it had been painted green with a bad paintbrush. It should have been trees. BUT the next ridge top over I could see that it was covered with trees.  I also lost the assignments on my joystick except for flight controls. Throttle worked fine but not the assigned buttons. Go figure. I am glad that some can use it, I empathize with those that can't. 

It is as though everyone is playing with something different, even every time they try.

Get used to disappointment - The Dread Pirate Roberts

3 minutes ago, filou said:

I had a wonderful day with MSFS and it's not over...I had no problem and for me it was pure happiness in live weather with lots of new visual varieties and it's always smooth as silk .Impossible for me not to see a great improvement with with this update.Love it!

Same, had some great flights today. Have been able to up my settings since the update and for me I have had a great experience doing VFR flights around the UK today.

SU3 was the worst update I have had. Was really enjoying the sim up until then and this is the first time since my system seems happy again.

I do keep getting at least one long 10 second stutter every flight. But for me its far more smoother in general. Not experiencing any CTDs either. Hopefully those having issues get patched for them soon.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Zcott said:

No, you are not. From a glance over the numerous topics, one could get the impression SU5 introduced hundreds of issues and making the sim unusable - while it's perhaps just a hand full of issues (which are real indeed) repeated over and over by the same posters in 10 threads in parallel.

Unfortunately, I lack time to continuously reply because of RL work in the way.

I (low and slow flyer) do see a few niggles, but nothing keeping me from enjoying MSFS in its present state, notably the performance gain under VR.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 3

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Everything generally worked out great for me, but I have a low end machine.  However, I can say that there are issues with input devices across the board to some level.  I suspect this is due to changes allowing for the Xbox controllers (I don't have an Xbox so I could be wrong)

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

3 hours ago, neil0311 said:

Maybe the colors were more washed out, but honestly, living in the southeastern US, this time of year when you fly, you get a lot of haze. The flight seemed to represent that better. The feeling of haziness was better than previously. Now, is that by design or just coincidence? Not sure.

I agree with you here for sure...

Here at KJAN, Saturday 7/31, the real life weather was a few scattered cumulus clouds but the sky was steel-grey, white and bright...no cirrus layer.   As a result, the whole scene here appeared color washed and hazy sky.

So, I hope our weather system will one day produce thees conditions as the weather would be at a location.  I think it will one day.

Yes, my machine is a high end machine as well.  I had lots of issues(first series of CTDs) but most ended up being in my Community folder as well.  I believe the hot fix did help, but, thankfully my issues, so far, have cleared.  I have re-installed some of my hd, google earth photogrammetry, which did cause issues before the hotfix, but now, back to back flights without CTDs and my startup CTDs have not happened again.

Hope those having trouble would be able to clear their issue as well.  It does suck and I only hope these releases get smoother...I believe they can and will, still.. ;-| ??

Anyway...

Cheers All,

RB

4 hours ago, Zcott said:

Same good experience as you here; had some issues with waypoints in the 172 post- patch; but otherwise no CTD's and smooth, clear performance in VR

• Like 1

Simon

4 hours ago, Zcott said:

Nope. Sim runs well for me and looks okay too. Sure there was a bit of an initial cackness on the update itself and I wasn't thrilled with how either it, or the subsequent hotfix for it installed in terms of how long these took, but once past that, it runs well and is much improved in many ways, not least of which is much faster load times as well as the sim running smoother too.

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

neil0311's initial post quickly got 16 positive reactions. Looks like a great many here agree with him and are very pleased with SU5 and hotfix. I know I am. I would pay good money not to have to go back to how it was right after SU4.

But obviously a multitude here do not agree.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.