Sign in to follow this  
PDX Flyer

When I click FLY, MSFS closes down?

So after the last upgrade (number 5) when I click FLY, the application just closes down and completely disappears?  Never had this problem before.  And yes the hot fix was installed.

Maybe it is time to reinstall the program and hope for the best?  

Any Ideas?

Is your community folder empty ? If no, are the addons updated ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Community folder is not empty.  What ... you mean I would have to investigate all of my add-ons to see which is causing the problem?  Yikes ... sounds like a lot of work form me.

9 minutes ago, PDX Flyer said:

Sounds like a lot of work form me.

For a start rename your community folder and see whether MSFS still crashes. If yes then you may have another problem not necessarily caused by your community folder and files. However, if MSFS then starts fine, well, yes then you need to go through your mods one by one. Note that not many devs were able to update their freeware files for SU5, may take a while

Edited by DAD
  • Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

25 minutes ago, PDX Flyer said:

So after the last upgrade (number 5) when I click FLY, the application just closes down and completely disappears?  Never had this problem before.  And yes the hot fix was installed.

Maybe it is time to reinstall the program and hope for the best?  

Any Ideas?

For me, that fix was to enable vsync and set frame rate to 60. I think my graphics card, RTX2080 Super, didn't like the unlimited frame rate.  You could also try 30 fps.  At least it's a quick test to try.

• Like 1

Installed the hot fix this morning. Brought up the map to select the airport. Just as I was about to click the airport, CTD and I'm back at the Windows screen. Is this the price we pay for the integration of the dumb XBox. Come on, it has been a almost a year and we are still suffering this fiasco. What kind of inept Beta testing are they performing or are they performing any. If they can't provide a stable platform after a year the confidence in this whole project is at risk. The whole program must be full of weak spots that are causing this fiasco.  

• Like 2

If your Graphics card is overclocked, go back to default setting.

I have had my 2080 super overclocked for many months now. Its been stable all this while, but the moment SU5 was installed the CTDs started. I was at my wits end when I decided to try going default. 

Just something else to try. Hope it helps some with the eternal CTDs. 

• Like 1

Robin

1 hour ago, PDX Flyer said:

Community folder is not empty.  What ... you mean I would have to investigate all of my add-ons to see which is causing the problem?  Yikes ... sounds like a lot of work form me.

Most of the crashes come from flawed (read non updated to SU5+HF) addons. As your sim crashes always at the same point, it seems highly probable that it is the case.

The only way is trials and errors. Empty half of the folder and check. If it still crashes, do it again until you find the black sheep (the plural of sheep if I remember well is also sheep, yes several files can be faulty).

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

All these answers are fine and appreciated. The fact of the matter is I am anything but a computer genius and its probably the same for many of us out there. Having to do this and that, check this folder, check these settings, re-download the whole program. The whole thing is fecal waste. Microsoft, Asobo, Blackshark AI, they are the computer geniuses. They are the ones who should be testing this stuff out before they dump it on the users. If it worked fine before the changes there should be no need for the user to do all these checks and adjustments. The only real conclusion is that the program is not ready for prime time if it totally breaks every time they try to improve it.

• Like 1

Though I downloaded it in 27th I've not managed a flight in SU5 yet owing to this issue: the CTD on pressing the FLY button. Some of us on an MSFS thread have noticed that a common element in these crashes is that in a good dumber of cases the existing installation is either partially or entirely on an external SSD. While this mode has worked perfectly since the release of MSFS a year ago, SU5 might have broken it. I assume that Asobo is looking into this as a matter of urgency. 

• Like 1

PDX , of course you don't have to test addons one by one.

If you have 16 addons, put 8 back in and try MSFS again. At that point you will have eliminated 8 as being a problem because you now know which of the two sets of 8 has the culprit in it.

Then put in 8 good ones and 4 more to test (total of 12) and try again. After that you are down to only 4 suspects.

Then 2 on the next test.

Then 1.

So, it only takes 4 tests to see which of 16 addon's are faulty.

or 5 tests if you have 32 addons, etc.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

4 hours ago, exupery said:

Though I downloaded it in 27th I've not managed a flight in SU5 yet owing to this issue: the CTD on pressing the FLY button. Some of us on an MSFS thread have noticed that a common element in these crashes is that in a good dumber of cases the existing installation is either partially or entirely on an external SSD. While this mode has worked perfectly since the release of MSFS a year ago, SU5 might have broken it. I assume that Asobo is looking into this as a matter of urgency. 

I'm curious about something. Do you mind going to the graphics settings, selecting "ultra" or "high" or some other remedial setting, saving, then trying to FLY with a default airplane?

I had the same issue but once I refreshed the graphics settings by selecting a profile it worked.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.