Sign in to follow this  
Keirtt

Bring back volumetric lighting!

One thing I discovered yesterday evening while flying into Vegas is that volumetric lighting is now missing from MSFS! This has been a basic feature that has been available in the sim since launch and before. Volumetric lighting helps immerse pilots when flying through the clouds, especially at night. It was a blast watching the lights bounce off the clouds as my aircraft passed through each cloud. With the most recent update, it's now missing! I know there are many other things we want fixed but I wanted to make sure this was brought forward as well. Seems like many folks were unaware of this (myself included). I've attached some images for reference below. Please use the link to the bug report I've submitted and give a vote so we can bring back volumetric lighting to the sim! I've also verified with several other pilots using a variety of settings that this is not a feature that's simply turned off on my system. Verified through dev settings as well that volumetric effects are active. Really hated seeing this feature get removed.

>>>>Help us with your vote<<<<
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/bring-back-volumetric-lighting/433577/33

This is how it currently looks!

lights2.png

This is how it SHOULD look!
Pic is from p3d but is a good representation of volumetric lighting*

light.png

Edited by Keirtt
  • Like 6

Gaming rig
Intel i9 13900k - NZXT Kraken Z73 cooler - ASUS Maximus Hero Z790 
32GB Trident Z 6000MHz DDR5 - Gigabyte 4090 GAMING OC 24G
10 x 120mm Lian Li UNI fans - Lian Li OD11XL Case - Corsair HX1500i PSU

Your link is not working but totally agree - keep finding more and more dumb down aspects of this sim every day

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

2 minutes ago, Richard Sennett said:

Your link is not working but totally agree - keep finding more and more dumb down aspects of this sim every day

Should work now. Thank you for pointing that out. This is crazy that we no longer have this as a feature.

• Like 2

Gaming rig

The defrauded lighting is the worst thing!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

The defrauded lighting is the worst thing!

I absolutely don't understand why this is gone. I'm also not sure how we've missed this. Just happen to notice it yesterday when flying out of Denver for the SNO. They had plenty of active weather in the area and I noticed going through the clouds that I couldn't see my lights bouncing off the clouds anymore. Really hoping this is just a bug.

• Like 3

Gaming rig

Nothing to understand other then it is currently broken like many other things and will need to be fixed.

Mine the same, no volumetric lights. Not great that it’s not been addressed by ms/asobo. Let’s hope it’s fixed pronto!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Paul

BeQuiet Pure Base 500 FX - MSI Mag Tomahawk B760 - i5 13600k @ 5.1ghz - 32GB RAM - RTX 3060 12GB  -  32f (31.5" ) Full HD Monitor - TCA Officer Pack - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke -  Logitech Multi Panel

Post this on the official forums, not here. Make a bug report on the forums and Zendesk

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Post this on the official forums, not here. Make a bug report on the forums and Zendesk

My post already shows the link where I've documented this on the official forums, with a bug report sent to Zendesk. This is here to help get traction, which means votes on my topic to hopefully bring this forward for answers. That's why I specifically said, "Help us with your vote".

Edited by Keirtt
  • Like 9

Gaming rig

Keirett Rock on needs to be brought to light everywhere - thanks for nothing XBOX should be two different platforms so the red headed step child pc version has to suffer now - wonderful 

• Like 3

Rich Sennett

7 minutes ago, Keirtt said:

My post already shows the link where I've documented this on the official forums, with a bug report sent to Zendesk. This is here to help get traction, which means votes on my topic to hopefully bring this forward for answers. That's why I specifically said, "Help us with your vote".

My bad.

• Like 1

Just now, Tuskin38 said:

My bad.

No worries - but I'll take your vote if you haven't already voted to help get this issue discussed some more by the devs. I think a lot of us are hoping it's just a simple bug. 

Gaming rig

2 minutes ago, Keirtt said:

No worries - but I'll take your vote if you haven't already voted to help get this issue discussed some more by the devs. I think a lot of us are hoping it's just a simple bug. 

Done 👍

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Keirtt said:

One thing I discovered yesterday evening while flying into Vegas is that volumetric lighting is now missing from MSFS! This has been a basic feature that has been available in the sim since launch and before. Volumetric lighting helps immerse pilots when flying through the clouds, especially at night. It was a blast watching the lights bounce off the clouds as my aircraft passed through each cloud. With the most recent update, it's now missing! I know there are many other things we want fixed but I wanted to make sure this was brought forward as well. Seems like many folks were unaware of this (myself included). I've attached some images for reference below. Please use the link to the bug report I've submitted and give a vote so we can bring back volumetric lighting to the sim! I've also verified with several other pilots using a variety of settings that this is not a feature that's simply turned off on my system. Verified through dev settings as well that volumetric effects are active. Really hated seeing this feature get removed.

>>>>Help us with your vote<<<<
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/bring-back-volumetric-lighting/433577/33

This is how it currently looks!

lights2.png

This is how it SHOULD look!
Pic is from p3d but is a good representation of volumetric lighting*

light.png

They probably got 1 more FPS for X box, by doing away with Volumetric lighting. 

• Like 4

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

They probably got 1 more FPS for X box, by doing away with Volumetric lighting. 

Ugggh, I really hope that's not the answer Bob! hahaha, I would much rather hear it was just an overlooked element or a bug that needs to be quickly squashed. 

Gaming rig