Sign in to follow this  
Guest PPSFA

Vista without the snags

Guest RGH

Well I think we all know that FSX will run better on vista but the worry is should we change now or later.Well for those of us who have gone into it on Tim Sneath of microsoft in is blogs there is no need to wait if you are concerned that you drivers wont be any good or you will not be in full controll of you PC you will need to read this. UAC and defender as control over the security of your PC it dose decide what driver you can or can not use on your PC.But the good news is that all these windows programs can be disabled then you will have the benifits of vista with the control of XP.But You must read Tim Sneath Blog and decide if you want to do it.This Is How.Type Tim Sneath Blogs into your browser.In the Serch box Type secret#4read Disableng UAC Good luckRex

Hi Rex,The reports relative to FSX's performance under Vista has been mixed at best. And the majority of reports I have read show slightly poorer performance under Vista. I cannot justify $160 US for continuing to get mediocre performance with FSX. My FSX is pretty well gutted and tweaked just to make it flyable in rural areas. Any attempt by me to approach a major city results in a slide show. I hope the SP1 will help, but I have the feeling we are being leveraged (simmers) against DX10 (ala Vista):)BTW, I finally read the Vista Licensing agreement. WOW! It just reinforces why I respect attorneys. They dam up everything with fuzzy stuff. (For $350 an hour). Have fun and thank you for the tip. Bob...

Guest RGH

Hi BobWell I am lucky even with 5 addons I still get flyable FPS,but I have not upgraded to vista, I as you will wait for sp1 for XP and may evan wait for the X patch before I consider the move.I am realy enjoying FSX now Why take the chance and spoil it.RegardsRex

Regardless of what you have heard, on nvidia hardware fsx surely does NOT run better in vista. You will be lucky to get 2/3 of the frame rate in vista with their current drivers. Until nvidia willingly gets their act together or someone makes them, I am sticking with xp.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 @ 893Mhz | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 575/900 | Seagate 2x 320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Guest RGH

Hi You have hit the nail on the head about drivers.All Nvidia is thinking about now are their 8800 drivers that are not fully required yet the rest of us with expesive pairs of 7900gtx have been passed over it must be going on 4 month since the last driver came out and then the changes did not include much for the 7900 cards and will not work on mine I had to roll back to the 91-47.I will have to ask my wife to cut the food down for a few months to save for a 8800.But it dose give us something to moan about between opp'sAll the bestRex

>Well I think we all know that FSX will run better on vistaIs this the consensus?I am genuinely asking that question because I do not know. I don't have Vista.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest RGH

Hi Rhett.From what I have read on this forum and others, it seems as though there is little to gain at the moment as far as FSX is concerned, vista is not as frame rate friendly as XP,But once Aces as done SPI and the X pack update (I think) I can not speak for anyone else, that a lot of simmers will make the move to Vista including me and with what we are finding out now is that we have no need to loose control of our pc to Microsoft we could move now,for the other benefits vista offers.But I think I will wait to see what the AV,spy ware,and firewall producers have to say on the subject.RegardsRex

Guest RGH

Hi GarettThank you for the link This is what I thought.We will just have to wait untill they sort it all out But I for one when I replace my 7900 GTX's it will be with only one 8800.I will miss the AA but that is all.RegardsRex

""Well I think we all know that FSX will run better on vista ...""Euhh.. who is WE ??I certainly don't .... On the contrary.And on which data is your knowledge based ? On the Microsoft's advertising ??* sigh *Rob

Guest SoarPics

Well I think we all know that FSX will run better on vista ...http://computerworld.com/action/article.do...&intsrc=hm_listAlso, take note of this:"Meanwhile, games written to take advantage of DirectX 10 have been slow to emerge. And one Nvidia executive predicts that gamers may not routinely see games optimized for DirectX 10 until mid-2008."Not exactly what would inspire me to rush out and buy that new DX10 video card.

>Regardless of what you have heard, on nvidia hardware fsx>surely does NOT run better in vista. You will be lucky to get>2/3 of the frame rate in vista with their current drivers.>Until nvidia willingly gets their act together or someone>makes them, I am sticking with xp.If you dont have it then how can you say this??I have both and know that FSX on my machine runs faster under Vista than XP. I can move the sliders all the way to the right and still get 10-20fps.I do have an issue with a memory error with some of the missions but I am just not doing those missions.

Guest PPSFA

My FSX runs fine on XP, and with all the issues with Vista, Ill be staying with XP for a long time. If you cant get FSX running on XP, it aint the OS, its the hardware holding you back.