Sign in to follow this  
177B

Poll. How is the U5 update and hot fix behaving for you?

How is the U5 update and hot fix behaving for you?  

359 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How is the U5 update and hot fix behaving for you?

• Same as before
    • Better frame rate but worse graphics
    • Better frame rate and graphics fine after some tweaks
    • CTD's unusable
    • I am leaving for FSX or XP or P3D
    • A bit worse LOD problems

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/07/2021 at 04:00 AM

Falling outside the offered poll choices is the major pain - for me - namely flaky / broken controls / control links.  Despite hours of trying all sorts of advice from many sources (inc. some suggestions from fine folk here), removing all mods etc. I can no longer fly any airliners happily (3rd party or out of the box ones).

My trusty old Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is struggling to do much of what it has reliably done ever since the release of the sim.  Same in the cockpit, legacy mode or otherwise; mouse based cockpit control interaction is just less good than it was which is a real shame.

The upshot is a year on and the thing is less usable than at launch for me currently.  And I've had one CTD just from the main menu which I've never seen before.  Oh and incidentally did no-one check why the ground crew "parking man" has now lost one of his batons? That's such a stand out visible (day-glo lit at that) problem.

For now, I'm taking a break from it all.  I'll assume things will get eventually fixed up as minds focus on the recent feedback.

7 hours ago, The Moose said:

Any particular altitude you were at or was it blurry all the way down?   Just going for a spin there now.. will take a screenshot or two

EDIT.  Not going to bother with the screenshots.   After at least 40hr of post patch flying I finally see the blurry textures.   Buildings looked ok to me, but the underlying ortho was terrible!   

I've done loads of the US, Most countries in western Europe, bits of Japan, the main cities in Aus and all over NZ.  Not seen textures like that anywhere on my travels since SU5

I see the same thing at Orbx LOWI. Low FPS (30 before SU5 13-17 after), scenery after takeoff towards Bolzano completely blurry. Crystal clear in SU4. No difference whether on Medium or Ultra settings.

Elsewhere, eg Ecuador SEQM - 50-60 FPS instead of 20ish in SU4.

stumped!

8 hours ago, Noel said:

So the real important question is:  is MS/A abandoning MSFS for Win 10 PC?  And to me the answer is clear:  absolutely not they would gain zero by doing this.  After all, the entire thing was developed and showcased on PC.  This is an expected hiccough completely due to the Xbox release.  I thinks odds are super strong they will retune for PC so for now I'm going to park it as it's lost its appeal for me now and I have been the staunchest apologist.  Last time I did this was after the relatively short period of severe FPS drops uncorrelated to GPU/CPU load when I flew P3D for a few weeks, then never went back.  My sense is it will be better than ever at a point in the hopefully not too distant future--I give it 2-6 months depending on how much they are still tuning for Xbox platform.  I'm glad I didn't uninstall P3D I enjoyed a flight in the NGXu where I was diverted (by FSCaptain) to land at KTVL as conditions were poor at KRNO.  It's a venerable sim as long as you don't try to make it good to look at because certainly 4.5 is just very hard on my CPU.  I have really downturned settings and fly in dim light and it's ultra smooth and of course the mature PMDG birds are great.   

I was thinking last night, that the possibility of Asobo fixing this is pretty slim. The last thing they want to do is aggravate the new X box owners with a big hotfix, a few days after launching the program on X box. I am afraid we are stuck with what we see now . 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 hours ago, Isaiah53six said:

had my first CTD tonight since the update flying into SoCal

There are so many things that could cause a problem. For instance, on a test flight out of Gatwick Airport with the fly-by-wire A320, I had a crash last night. Several other attempts showed crashes which I attributed to some sort of issue with the A320.

After a while i remembered that Gatwick was a freeware download and I wondered if there had been an update for compatibility with SU5.

Sure enough there had been an SU5 update for this freeware scenery and after installing it the A320 had no problems. The point being that if you do have an issue it can be hard to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from, though most people seem to be pinning the blame solely on Asobo, which is not always the most accurate call.

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I trust that many of those answering that they are leaving for P3D/FSX may instead, like me, be reverting it for the time being until MSFS is better refined and more reliable for those that are experiencing difficulties. 

Please note that I said "for those that are..."  We do not all fly like one another, we have widely different system specs, and terms like all, every, everyone, it should be the same for you as for me, etc. just do not apply.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I was thinking last night, that the possibility of Asobo fixing this is pretty slim. The last thing they want to do is aggravate the new X box owners with a big hotfix, a few days after launching the program on X box. I am afraid we are stuck with what we see now . 

I don't get why you would assume they can't branch support it.  Is XBOX OS identical to Win 10?  If not, then it seems logical to believe they can support both though some components will be shared.   I see no reason why certain lookup tables can't behave differently depending on the platform where the app is launched.

I have read this in several posts over the past year and perhaps it's bogus and made up, but two important comments have been made and circulated:

1.  MSFS is a 10 year project

2.  Asobo won't abandon the socalled 'hardcore simmer'.

If these are even half correct, why comments that suggest it's essentially over now?  I don't get the sky is falling and will stay falling sentiment.  Granted, my optimism is based on the above ideas being more or less accurate.   Moreover, all of the promotion videos done w/ even a prelease version portrayed the type of graphic environment we all became so enamored with.  Stop that now? Why again?  And moreover again, as some have suggested the whole product was developed on high end machines.  Do we really want to assume all of that development just to port to Xbox, when clearly they planned the dual platform support all along?  All of those devs aren't saying the same things we are now, with their high end machines?  Just doesn't comport IMO.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

For me it has just become an unstable mess. IF it doesn't CTD I am now getting either the new G1000 going bonkers and trying to kill me by spinning out of control from stable flight, and now getting a total screen freeze. I wondered about maybe my 6800XT having a heat issue so I have been monitoring temps now in flight. Temp was only 51c last crash with mid 70% GPU utilization. My system was rock solid for months but now dealing with this mess for weeks now and am about to the end of my rope with trying to troubleshoot MS/A's trainwreck. 

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

Better frame rate but worse graphics, especial clouds, I only fly in dusk or dawn, during the day the game looks awful, overexposed with washed out colors, even in HDR.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I usually steer clear of these type of discussions, but against my better judgment, here I am. So, these type of posts remind me of crappy deployments in the military. Some of the deployments are great. There is a lot of flying and action and you happen to be deployed with the cool crowd. But then, some of them suck. Flights are hours of boredom and just as bad as sitting behind the concertina wire back at the compound. But then you think, it can always be worst👀.

Speaking of deployments, I had this one boom operator and it was his first deployment. It was one of those deployments where everything sucked and the people were all negative Nancys. This boom operator complained on the way to fly, during flights and on the way back from flying, every day! It got to the point where people started avoiding him. I usually let people be and let them do their thing. But, this one morning, I had enough. I said, look, we all know that this deployment sucks. It's the military and it's not all gravy, just a job. If you can do something about this deployment, then do it. If not, just embrace it and move on. The only thing worst than a sucky deployment is a constant complaint about it. You have reminded us everyday, yeah it sucks! We get it! There will always be sucky ones mixed in with the good ones. Lets just do our jobs to the best of our ability and just enjoy the fact that we are not running kick door ops on the ground in the thick of it. A couple of flights later, we are all into our regular banter and started having fun.

What was my point? 🤔, none. I will recommend that if you have the ability to change anything in the SIM, then do it. If not, embrace it and move on. I have DCS, Aerofly 2, Xplane and P3D as well. Even after the update, I still fly more in MSFS than my other SIMs. I don't care much for scare buses, but I have been flying the heck out of the A320NX. It's something about the feel and behavior of that MOD that reminds me of my real world flying. The landing behavior is spot on. The clouds and LOD are a bit off after the update, but it still looks better than my other SIMs. I miss my P3D aircraft, but I am taken back when looking at the P3D world compared to MSFS. I initially had the CTD, but emptying my community folder solved that issue and I ease things back one at a time til I find the issue.

In closing, I hope and believe that they will continue to improve MSFS and will fix things as they have. I do have the choice to fly the others, but I enjoy that scare bus and DC6 so much that I stick with it. I really love jumping off the deck in my F14 in DCS VR and craning my head around tracking a bogey as I patiently use the tomcats advantage to put the gun on them. Or locking up a flight and sending some phoenix missiles their way before they even know they were fired upon. But, for the last three weeks I've been enjoying low vis instrument approaches with the nice views vs trapping on the carrier at night with low vis. If you are able to fly without CTDs, get up there and fly some approaches into places you have never been. Get your hands on that A320NX scare bus if you haven't. Use the PF3 ATC while you are at it.

Rick 

• Like 2

Worse clouds, but above all the sim is unplayable due the temps bug, just a few lower flights.

Edited by Claudius_

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

Poll looks just about how a lot of us probably suspected it would.....

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I may have to update my poll selection. I had to make some major config changes when going to 1.18.9.0 but did in fact get it mainly stable. Once we went to 1.18.12.0 and then 1.18.13.0 I could never complete a flight. I either CTD or video just froze. That to me would mean GPU temp issue but that was never the case as temps were well within range. I had tried numerous drivers for my 6800XT, even as far back as last November which wasn't easy under Win11. But I could never keep a driver as Win11 will update them behind the scenes and then I would get a warning from the AMD control software about the driver version being wrong. So today I got the idea to update to the latest WHQL driver but doing the Driver Only option. The down side to that is I no longer have a way of controlling the GPU cooling fans. But the upside is that I have now been able to complete 2 flights in a row without any issues. I guess there is some kind of weirdness in the way that Win11 gets along with the AMD control software. I know it doesn't like Ryzen Master either and will not even let it load completely. I am now off to put away my TCA Airbus stick and hook up my Honeycomb stuff and see if I have the same success. Fingers crossed along with toes

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

Started the sim earlier, everything worked. Because I'm having problems with the sim obeying the graphics quality sliders it's constantly maxing out my GPU. Had a bright idea, I'd try my noise-cancelling Bluetooth headphones. MSFS refused to output to the BT headphones (other programs worked fine) and then caused a CTD. No other changes to mods or loaded addons. Since then MSFS has consistently CTD'd on startup. Even when turning BT off and removing ALL mods from the Community folder.

It's getting to the stage where rather than waste hours troubleshooting I might fire up the dusty old P3D installation I nearly deleted last week. Gaming means having fun, not troubleshooting some shoddy piece of software that brings me misery instead of joy.

• Like 1

i7-10700K; RTX 2070 Super; 16GB; P3Dv4.5HF3 & MSFS2020.

7 hours ago, Mikeingreen said:

For me it has just become an unstable mess. IF it doesn't CTD I am now getting either the new G1000 going bonkers and trying to kill me by spinning out of control from stable flight, and now getting a total screen freeze. I wondered about maybe my 6800XT having a heat issue so I have been monitoring temps now in flight. Temp was only 51c last crash with mid 70% GPU utilization. My system was rock solid for months but now dealing with this mess for weeks now and am about to the end of my rope with trying to troubleshoot MS/A's trainwreck. 

Welcome to flight simulation on a PC.  XBox is the way to go IMO.

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

Maybe I’ll sell my pc and buy a Xbox. Problem solved!

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |