Sign in to follow this  
ThrottleUp

Can Win10 System Restore take MSFS back to SU4?

Hey everyone,

I'm clutching at straws here I know but I was wondering if system restore would take the game back to SU4?

I checked my available restore points and there is one for July 25. 

Has anyone tried this? 

Nope... 😶  Your stuck like the rest of us.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

1 minute ago, Dillon said:

Nope... 😶  Your stuck like the rest of us.

I was afraid that would be the case. 

What Im really kicking myself over is that I do monthly full image backups of my system but somehow this time it didnt strike me to make a fresh image before I got SU5.

To rub salt in a wound I just came across a thread on the official forums where a guy used his sys image to go back to SU4 and hes now having fun flying about. 

Lesson learned...

You would instant crash trying to restore SU4 at this point. That guy you mention is lying.

Edited by jbdbow1970
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

What Im really kicking myself over is that I do monthly full image backups of my system but somehow this time it didnt strike me to make a fresh image before I got SU5.

To rub salt in a wound I just came across a thread on the official forums where a guy used his sys image to go back to SU4 and hes now having fun flying about. 

Lesson learned...

Here's the problem:  

Scenario 1. - You could have made a decent backup but when you fire up the sim and it hit the internet you'd be locked out of FS until it updated. 

Scenario 2. - On another side you unplug your network cable and find you can't get into the sim because it can't reach the XBOX servers. 

Scenario 3. - You get in the sim and it looks worse than FS9/FSX because it can't reach the internet. 

There's no way any of us could have gotten around this update which is why I for one hate this whole cloud concept. You have some jerk jacking up the sim every month with excuses as to what happened.  Instead of fixing issues their jacking the code around.  They were obligated to bring this to XBOX but the chain yanking and jerking around we saw over the last year was unbelievable for a software company.  We had it better when the sim was on CD.  So the only hopeful bright side of this is they can't break the sim anymore like they did for the PC market in this new XBOX era. The XBOX crowd would freak and it would be highly visible to the suites.  So if they can fix this latest fiasco on the PC side moving forward should finally be smoother.

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

8 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Here's the problem:  

Scenario 1. - You could have made a decent backup but when you fire up the sim and it hit the internet you'd be locked out of FS until it updated. 

Scenario 2. - On another side you unplug your network cable and find you can't get into the sim because it can't reach the XBOX servers. 

Scenario 3. - You get in the sim and it looks worse than FS9/FSX because it can't reach the internet. 

There's someone on the official forums still flying 1.17.4. He says you can run the launcher with your internet disconnected and then reconnect when you're in the sim. Gives a detailed instruction on how he did it. But you have to have a drive image from your old version. System restore ain't gonna cut it.

22 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

Lesson learned...

Won't help unless you want to fly with the default scenery in MSFS which looks worse than FS 2004. First time you try to get online, it will downgrade you to SU5

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

This is a copy-paste of what someone on the official forums has posted. Could this really work?

Whenever I have a stable version of MSFS, I always make an image of my Windows 10 & MSFS drives. Just as a precaution, so that if a new version doesn’t meet my expectations (SU5 ... No. Just no 20) or gives me trouble I can always revert to the previous version that worked fine for me. Or if my SSD’s decide to quit on me of course.

Resetting the image only takes about 45 mins for me. Just turn off your internet connection when starting the sim again, otherwise it will force you to do the update again (although you can ALT-F4 your way out of that)

When in the sim you can turn your internet on again.

Upon launching MSFS in offline mode it gives a message that it can’t connect to the internet but you can just press OK and it will boot.

Before creating the first image, BE SURE to check these steps first, so you know that you can actually start MSFS in offline mode after reinstalling the image. You should only have to check this once: Xbox Support 3

Right now, I’m back at flying in 1.17.3.0… 🙂

h

15 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Here's the problem:  

There's no way any of us could have gotten around this update which is why I for one hate this whole cloud concept. You have some jerk jacking up the sim every month with excuses as to what happened.  Instead of fixing issues their jacking the code around.  They were obligated to bring this to XBOX but the chain yanking and jerking around we saw over the last year was unbelievable for a software company.  We had it better when the sim was on CD.  So the only hopeful bright side of this is they can't break the sim anymore like they did for the PC market in this new XBOX era. The XBOX crowd would freak and it would be highly visible to the suites.  So if they can fix this latest fiasco on the PC side moving forward should finally be smoother.

I really feel that Asobo is more worried about backlash from the X box crowd, than from the PC crowd. They can just string us along, the X boxers, would never go through what we are enduring now. They would just say " The heck with this" and move on to one of hundreds of other games.

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Man you you people are so negative. It's been 4 working days, not even a week yet. Give a rest and have patience. Take a couple weeks off, wait for official responses from Asobo.

How do you survive in the real unpredictable world with kind of attitude?

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

h

I really feel that Asobo is more worried about backlash from the X box crowd, than from the PC crowd. They can just string us along, the X boxers, would never go through what we are enduring now. They would just say " The heck with this" and move on to one of hundreds of other games.

They can control was options are enabled on X-Box. They don't need to remove them on PC to get the X-Box versions to work, they just need to change the x-box config and turn a 1 to a 0, or a 3 or whatever.

The most probably answer to most of the issues is that there is a bug, not a purposeful removal of features.

Edited by Tuskin38

1 minute ago, Tuskin38 said:

They can control was options are enabled on X-Box. They don't need to remove them on PC to get the X-Box versions to work, they just need to change the x-box config and turn a 1 to a 0, or a 3 or whatever.

Not at all true. They have stated multiple times that  the version on the PC and X Box will be exactly the same program. They can't run one level of graphics on the X box and another level on the PC version. 

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

They can't run one level of graphics on the X box and another level on the PC version. 

They can do it just as easily as two different PC users can have different graphics settings.

And they already showed that when they reverted the PC version to use the older LOD system instead of the X-Box LOD system.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

They can't run one level of graphics on the X box and another level on the PC version. 

Its likely they can, but it would take a separate set of resources.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere