Sign in to follow this  
mazex

Can we see some screens of SU5 degradation?

Something seem a bit strange about SU5. Even though there is a certain drama queen mentality here, I am pretty sure that many do have real degradation since SU5. For me it looks just as good as before and it would be interesting to see screens from you that have problems? And on what hardware? 

It would be interesting to see if there is some common denominator. 

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games

To me, the main gripe is actually the illumination changes. It looks Bloomy, oversaturated and still, washed out, hollywoodesque, while before it was way more realistic.

Edited by Aristoteles
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Iñigo Bildarratz

Do we really need another thread questioning this? There are plenty of comparison photos already on this forum and the official MSFS forum comparing SU4 and SU5. 

Clearly the degredation is real and more pronounced for some users than others. It's not a conspiracy at this stage as some on here tried very hard to frame it as.

Most likely if you fly in 4K and on a expensive rig you'll notice the degredation more than if you sim in HD or 2K on a basic to mid level rig. Furthermore, it seems some HDR monitors TVs make the colours looks fine whereas those without HDR look far more cartoony and washed out. 

Now let's stop pretending this is fake news or some sort of crazy conspiracy theory from 'drama queens' as you put it. That's kind of old at this stage with the many threads and evidence already available on the subject.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, mazex said:

Something seem a bit strange about SU5. Even though there is a certain drama queen mentality here, I am pretty sure that many do have real degradation since SU5. For me it looks just as good as before and it would be interesting to see screens from you that have problems? And on what hardware? 

It would be interesting to see if there is some common denominator. 

There are plenty of pics on the official forums. No ones making it up!  Just as those of us not seeing degradation, or even improved visuals aren't making it up either.   (though I don't think anyone can deny the lighting can get very funky in certain conditions)

I've been applauding the better visuals on my end, but i just did a flight in Edinburgh and 99% of the autogen was missing!   Just trees over flat ortho. 

The patient is a little bit sick, but not on life support as some claim 😉

Well - the odd thing is that many don't have any problems while some say it looks like FSX? If we assume neither are lying there must be something that is the underlying problem?

It would be interesting to see a degraded screenshot and see if us with no problems can recreate the problem?

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games

2 minutes ago, mazex said:

If we assume neither are lying there must be something that is the underlying problem?

Bugs.  Simple answer.  Bugs affecting some and not others. 

The LOD changes were universal, but a lot of people aren't as keen to notice shifts as others. When you interview 20 people after a crime scene, you will find that very few of the recalled accounts match up, and some will be WAY out there. It's just part of life that some people will notice small details more.

Some people are on small screens, 120" here, I can notice some pretty minor changes.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

28 minutes ago, Aristoteles said:

To me, the main gripe is actually the illumination changes. It looks Bloomy, oversaturated and still, washed out, hollywoodesque, while before it was way more realistic.

Exactly, which makes it a repellent thing to fire up the sim, it just looks disgusting, literally.

Just now, The Moose said:

Bugs.  Simple answer.  Bugs affecting some and not others. 

Well - working as a development manager myself I am just interested in the root cause... It seems odd that some see FSX quality graphics while some have no difference in visual quality. With the same hardware and configuration that naturally should not happen. 

I don't think anyone meant that literally or at least not universally.

I also don't believe they were talking about the GRAPHICS itself but about more about LOD effect distance and what was happening at high altitudes to the Lods, or maybe in some cases they were referring to certain things "popping in" as how it reminded them of the old days.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Can't take screenshots showing the degradation in VR, but it's clearly there.

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

39 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

Now let's stop pretending this is fake news or some sort of crazy conspiracy theory from 'drama queens' as you put it. That's kind of old at this stage with the many threads and evidence already available on the subject.

I don't think that was the suggestion that anyone was saying it was untrue or some kind of bogus claim, clearly some people have had, and some still have visual issues, but there definitely have been some real drama queens coming out concerning what actually has occurred. It's as well to remember that it is a toy plane game, not some kind of life and death matter, although from the way some people have gone ballistic about it, we could be forgiven for thinking otherwise.

Even in keeping things in perspective, personally, I've not really had any major issues with it when taking in the grand scheme of things; the positive aspects far outweigh the negative ones for me.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

19 minutes ago, mazex said:

It seems odd that some see FSX quality graphics while some have no difference in visual quality. 

It certainly is odd.  ..and I've just experienced that very thing in Hawaii.  Ground textures absolute mush, it all looked very FSX.   Had to quit my flight it was so bad.    Another poster here Glen Fitzpatrick mentioned the same this around Sunshine coast yesterday and I had a look and it was pretty bad there as well.

Up till these I'd done 40hrs+ of post SU5 flying and had nothing but super sharp textures that looked better than ever.

I suspect the blurry ground textures is probably a server based issue.   We shall see. Ill do the same flights later tonight on a different server and see if  its back to what i expect/have been seeing everywhere else up to now.

Sure is a quirky sim. 😄  I suppose now I've experienced what other have seen I'll have to join the ranks of those threatening to take Asobo to court 😉  (Seriously... that's the levels some have stooped to in the official forum.  Utter madness)

if you want, i can put you here hundred of pics of empty airports. you wouldnt believe it!  there is no ai traffic.or i can put my desktop, because it is what i see when sometimes loading.

but we are drama queen. 

so, just imagine yourself. 

4 minutes ago, abranpuko said:

if you want, i can put you here hundred of pics of empty airports. you wouldnt believe it!  there is no ai traffic.or i can put my desktop, because it is what i see when sometimes loading.

but we are drama queen. 

so, just imagine yourself. 

Dramatic much?