Sign in to follow this  
rocketlaunch

What's to look forward to in P3D?

3 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’ve not noticed any impact on fps.

Well, I run at 4k, and I prefer running at 50fps because my trackIR feels much smoother to me. With mostly max settings, I generally use 2xSGSS at 50fps, and 4xSGSS at 30fps.  Even the 3090 can't handle max settings with 50fps using 4x SGSS! 

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

16 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

I use biologicalnanobot's hdr.hlsl shader mod from the P3D forum. Easy to do, just backup a file then cut and paste some code. 

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=142594&start=15

Alternatively, before that, or even in conjunction, I sometimes use FSLabs spotlights to get any VC just how I like it.

I’d forgotten about that, thanks. I tried it a while back but with 5.1 and forgot to reinstate it for 5.2 plus the hotfix.

13 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Well, I run at 4k, and I prefer running at 50fps because my trackIR feels much smoother to me. With mostly max settings, I generally use 2xSGSS at 50fps, and 4xSGSS at 30fps.  Even the 3090 can't handle max settings with 50fps using 4x SGSS! 

That would explain things. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've removed a bunch of posts that were hijacking/de-railing this thread into another P3D vs MSFS debate.  Keep to the topic, please.

• Like 4

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I have to say the enhanced atmospherics are really quite brilliant at times. I really hope they devote some time to develop them further. 

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

Just remember guys. Prepar3d is a very small line on LMs balance sheets considering they also have fighters, missles, and all sorts of other goodies to build and sell to Uncle Sam and friends.

41 minutes ago, Gary1124 said:

Just remember guys. Prepar3d is a very small line on LMs balance sheets considering they also have fighters, missles, and all sorts of other goodies to build and sell to Uncle Sam and friends.

Yes and they need P3D to train up those customers for their fighters.

Seen the newest Block 70/72 F16 ? there's a claimed 50% increase in the structual life expectancy.

If only LM would divert a little more in funds to P3D...

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

If LM could use Landsat and Google earth data and generate snapshot version of what is live streamed in MSFS, and then put it in regional packages that are compressed to save space, and have those packages available for as desired download. Or they could set it up that all the scenery packages download compressed except for the user's region and a generated flight plan would automatically decompress the needed scenery packages or the user could do it if he has the drive space. I am just speculating ways in which LM, or even LR, could reasonably meet MSFS scenery advantage. Guys, I desperately want to see the three platforms remain viable. They all have their ups and downs but having three top selling commercial platforms is good for the hobby. I would love to see Flight Gear thrive to. 

On 8/2/2021 at 6:05 PM, rocketlaunch said:

I get that but if you look at say the news feed on fselite it is all MSFS or xplane, even here the forums are pretty barren of new developments for P3D. I had high hopes for the enhanced atmospherics and the direction that may go but at the rate LM put out releases I will be too old and past it.

Oh no XP had a great year or past rolling 12 mos.  Three inibuild planes A300,310 and beluga, very high quality.  Just fligh BAE 146 port over from P3D which is quite fun.  Toliss updates and A340 with a firm release date time frame.  Aerobask phenom and 8x quite possibly this year.  Dash 8 in the next month month and a half. XP`12 just around the corner. Zibo of course with almost daily updates.  We are happy.  Those of us who fly PMDG yeap we are sort of excited for them to go to MSFS but it's a very cautious excitment plenty of money invested in P3D already even though we don't like it much as a platform. but MSFS is a hot mess for any kind of serious flying right now so spending another 300 bucks PMDG birds only for Asobo to screw them over in the next Sim update is a risk that many won't take for another year, year and a half.  .

Edited by matrosov

Who knows, some principal developers may even return to Prepar3D after they've played enough with MSFS. Nothing tells us that LM is going to close the shop, so still they'll be a niche for their efforts here as well.

• Like 6

I think the idea that many developers will return to P3D is a little bit optimistic, at least in terms of primary development.

I'm not quite the pessimist that some on this forum are, but I do think we need to embrace the reality that P3D will be a second-order priority at best, MSFS is the most commercially-viable platform at present & will most likely be the priority for 3rd party devs for the foreseeable future.

That doesn't mean there won't be anything for P3D though. Certainly on the scenery-side of things, so long as P3D maintains a big enough niche I can see future products being developed for MSFS first then later ported over. And developers with an existing back-catalogue of older sceneries for FSX/ earlier versions of P3D could probably still make it commercially viable to update these sceneries to the current state of the airport(s) and standards of the Sim.

I'm a little less-sure on the Aircraft side of things but I think P3D does have advantages in that it's niche always was it's capture of the study-level market. Aircraft already far into development will still likely be finished and I don't see devs like PMDG dropping P3D support overnight given the complications related to developing study-level sims for MSFS.

As I said in my earlier post I still think P3D has a future for the next few years, at least for us established users. Certainly I'm content with continuing to invest in P3D as a mature & stable platform with a sizable back-catalogue of addons to make use of. But it's never going to compete with MSFS for commercial/ consumer appeal as that simply isn't what it's designed for. I don't see P3D entirely disappearing though unless either Xplane or MSFS can adequately fill that study-sim 'niche'.

Edited by SimeonWilbury
  • Like 3

PUT In the UK.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x & Radeon RX570 8GB. Prepar3Dv5.3 @1080p

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Gary1124 said:

If LM could use Landsat and Google earth data and generate snapshot version of what is live streamed in MSFS, and then put it in regional packages that are compressed to save space, and have those packages available for as desired download. Or they could set it up that all the scenery packages download compressed except for the user's region and a generated flight plan would automatically decompress the needed scenery packages or the user could do it if he has the drive space. I am just speculating ways in which LM, or even LR, could reasonably meet MSFS scenery advantage. Guys, I desperately want to see the three platforms remain viable. They all have their ups and downs but having three top selling commercial platforms is good for the hobby. I would love to see Flight Gear thrive to. 

The counterpoint to this.  Do you really want an already limited amount of flight sim developers stretched between 3 different sims?  I'd rather see them in 1 or 2 so we can get more new addons. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

5 hours ago, micstatic said:

The counterpoint to this.  Do you really want an already limited amount of flight sim developers stretched between 3 different sims?  I'd rather see them in 1 or 2 so we can get more new addons. 

Depends. I don't have a lot of addon aircraft. Primary one is the A2A Skylane which is a ringer for my instructor's Skylane with 530/430 GNS. For just fantasy I have the A2A Bonnie and Commanche. I don't want to stray from real world parallel to far. And if I would get more aircraft just for fun they would be other A2A birds, Just  Flight's Duchess or Arrows, Flight1's B200, Xtreme Lear 25, or the iFly airliners for commercial. I would choose only a few Study level birds that cost a little more.

But everyone has different objectives in their simming and variety is good.

Edited by Gary1124

@Gary1124Don't forget about payware scenery!

• Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Me personally, perhaps, I don't even need new planes in P3D (just keep upgrading the released ones when possible), but sell me more terrains, regions, areas, airports and and utilities, of course.

Edited by Dirk98
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

Me personally, perhaps, I don't even need new planes in P3D (just keep upgrading the released ones when possible), but sell me more terrains, regions, areas, airports and and utilities, of course.

If LM manages to take any town with a pop of 1000 or more and give it the correct footprint and street grid on the ground I would be real pleased. Orbx LC does that by and large but not 100% of course. Some of those grids are photo type and devoid of 3d mostly. Makes it look bombed out.