Sign in to follow this  
callegro

P3dV5 issues with SimConnect and long haul flights

I know there are a couple posts out there, but doesn't seem like anyone has found a solution....

I did 2 long haul flights (over 7 hours) this weekend with specifically the PMDG 737ngxu. After a certain amount of time, the autopilot disengages the aircraft starts a gradual bank and the it seems like the PFD and MFD move super super slow. I am able to save the flight, restart P3d, and then reload it for the remainder and it is fine. The posts i've read suspect many things....PMDG, FSUIPC...but it seems like everyone has settled on a simconnect issue on where it drops the connection after a certain amount of time. With that said, I don't believe it's related to a 3rd party addon, but I can't seem to find a solution. Any ideas gents?

@callegro, you’re best asking that question on the PMDG forum.

Have you checked your USB devices don’t have the option set in Power Management to send them to sleep after a period of inactivity?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Have you checked your USB devices don’t have the option set in Power Management to send them to sleep after a period of inactivity?

That's one super-useful thing Spad.neXt does for you, BTW... it detects when devices are set to be put to sleep, and if you re-start it as Admin it will fix them all for you. Saves SO much time on a new PC. 

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

I'll give this a go and check my USB devices.

As far as the PMDG forums....people have posted on there regarding this issue, however no one seems to have a resolution.

Thanks guys,

Also some more investigating leads me to believe this could also be a REX Sky Force issue....

1 hour ago, callegro said:

Also some more investigating leads me to believe this could also be a REX Sky Force issue....

Don’t run any other software except P3D which should help identifying the problem.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I installed REX SkyForce recently, running in conjunction with ASCA and Envtex.

I did a flight from EGLL to LEMD in the FSL A320 - no issue at all, but on the return (next day, sim started from scratch) route, after about 45 mins and flying over France, I noticed continuous pausing on the PFD repeatedly like the whole sim was pausing - FPS was dropping from 30 to 1 and other stuff running was losing connection to Simconnect - for example, the ACARS for the VA I am part of just disconnected from the sim - same with anything else using Simconnect.

I've never had any such issue until installing REX SkyForce so I've uninstalled it to see if that resolves it.

12 hours ago, krich said:

I installed REX SkyForce recently, running in conjunction with ASCA and Envtex.

I did a flight from EGLL to LEMD in the FSL A320 - no issue at all, but on the return (next day, sim started from scratch) route, after about 45 mins and flying over France, I noticed continuous pausing on the PFD repeatedly like the whole sim was pausing - FPS was dropping from 30 to 1 and other stuff running was losing connection to Simconnect - for example, the ACARS for the VA I am part of just disconnected from the sim - same with anything else using Simconnect.

I've never had any such issue until installing REX SkyForce so I've uninstalled it to see if that resolves it.

What REX SF version were you using?

Also check the REX log files folder for reported errors/warnings.

• Like 1

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

On 8/3/2021 at 12:47 AM, callegro said:

.but it seems like everyone has settled on a simconnect issue on where it drops the connection after a certain amount of time.

There is a very old (but still present) simconnect issue that relates to the number of simconnect connections used. When the configured number is exceeded, no further connections are available and any 3rd party add-on that tries to re-connect will have issues. You can verify that this is actually the cause by activating logging for SimConnect and you will see an I/O error when the connection limit is reached. There is no way around this error, but it can be delayed (usually sufficiently) by increasing the MaxClients available in your SimConnect.xml file from the default value of 64 to 128 (or maybe 256 - not sure what the maximum allowed value is off-hand).

However, from your symptoms, it doesn't sound like this is your issue - if you are using FSUIPC for your assignments, you would loose all control if it lost its SimConnect connections.

One thing you can also try/test, if using FSUIPC, is change the following parameters in your [General] section of your FSUIPC6.ini file:
    TrafficStallTime=1
    NormalStallTime=1
to
    TrafficStallTime=-1
    NormalStallTime=-1
i.e. make them negative. This will instruct FSUIPC6 to only log a message when data stalls, rather than re-connect. You can also try different numbers (eg 2 or 3), which is the number of seconds without seeing data before a message is logged (when negative) or a reconnection request issued (when positive).

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 787flyer said:

What REX SF version were you using?

Also check the REX log files folder for reported errors/warnings.

It was that Alpha version they put out a week or so ago.

What I did notice is that everything which was using Simconnect was stuttering, pausing and then eventually disconnecting - the behaviour with the PFD hitching and pausing continued even after I shut down all add-ons which were running (ASP3D, ASCA, REX Skyforce, ProATC-X and BAV Merlin which is the ACARS for the VA I am a member of).

It only started, I would say from the top of my head, about 45 mins into the flight and everything had been normal up till then. Also, didn't have any issues on the outbound but I do think it was REX. I've uninstalled it now but that was the only thing which changed on my end and I have never had any such issues prior to that. I haven't had the opportunity to test the same flight again since but I will be doing so.

For me, I just went from V4.5 to V5.2. Did a clean install......Keep in mind, I've never had these problems on V4.5.

On my end, it only happens after around 7hrs in. I am running about the same thing as you guys are:

REX Skyforce

ASP3D

Vpilot

(currently running no AI, but I used to run PSXeecon)

So for me, I feel like it is one of the 3 programs or simconnect all together.

On 8/3/2021 at 8:44 PM, callegro said:

It's a sky force issue,  it's well documented.  Yet they won't admit there's an issue. You raise it in their discord (like lots of us have, it will get removed) 

They want to keep pushing the idea that sky force is compatible with v5 when in short it is not. They don't want to remove that big banner in their website saying its compatible. 

Do not run sky force alongside with the sim on long haul flights over 6 hours. 

Its been raised plenty of times, even on this forum. 

• Upvote 2

14ppkc-6.png

On 8/4/2021 at 12:03 PM, John Dowson said:

There is a very old (but still present) simconnect issue that relates to the number of simconnect connections used. When the configured number is exceeded, no further connections are available and any 3rd party add-on that tries to re-connect will have issues. You can verify that this is actually the cause by activating logging for SimConnect and you will see an I/O error when the connection limit is reached. There is no way around this error, but it can be delayed (usually sufficiently) by increasing the MaxClients available in your SimConnect.xml file from the default value of 64 to 128 (or maybe 256 - not sure what the maximum allowed value is off-hand).

However, from your symptoms, it doesn't sound like this is your issue - if you are using FSUIPC for your assignments, you would loose all control if it lost its SimConnect connections.

One thing you can also try/test, if using FSUIPC, is change the following parameters in your [General] section of your FSUIPC6.ini file:
    TrafficStallTime=1
    NormalStallTime=1
to
    TrafficStallTime=-1
    NormalStallTime=-1
i.e. make them negative. This will instruct FSUIPC6 to only log a message when data stalls, rather than re-connect. You can also try different numbers (eg 2 or 3), which is the number of seconds without seeing data before a message is logged (when negative) or a reconnection request issued (when positive).

John

Thanks for that. But its a sky force problem.  It happens bang on 6 hours.  Its been reported to them. 

Nothings been done, but its been reported. Pay to beta.  

• Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

Is there any workaround for this?  I posted in the P3D V5 Facebook group.  I’ve got specific questions that maybe will help.  I’ve also seen a post on the FSDT forums about sim connect locking up if people didn’t do “clean” installs of P3D V5.2HF1 which I’m fairly certain I did via the P3D instructions…  below is my post about the lockup with some questions I’m hoping folks can answer.  

I use REX SF3D with ASP3D for clouds/WX

I’ve had some issues on longer flights/sessions (including a shut down WITHIN sight of Honolulu after a 6 hour ride 🤬 🤦‍♂️)

My questions: 
-Is everyone getting that Simconnect bug after 6-7 hours?  

-Is there a workaround for the amount of simconnect connections? 

Some possible work arounds I’m considering that some folks may have tried: 

-If I turn off REX cloud sync but still run REX with the sim, will it still time out/shut down simconnect @ 6hrs? 

-If I install my selected textures via REX and then shut it down and DO NOT run REX SF3D WITH the sim, will I still get the textures or does REX need to be running to get the “installed textures” to work? 

-I’ll be cross posting this to their discord but I’ve heard people have been removed for it (I don’t know how said folks went about asking about it-so maybe it was justified but 🤷‍♂️

Any ideas/suggestions short of “switch to FS2020” are readily welcome.  

Thanks.

The only fix is to not open Rex Sky Force 3D, unless you are using it as a weather engine. Once you have installed the textures, you don't have to keep it open, its like copy/pasting files from one place to another only.

Edited by Nocturnal