Sign in to follow this  
bondislacker

FPS loss on long flights

Hi there,

Recently I haven't been able to complete long-haul flights (7 hrs +) without some serious FPS degradation. I generally start with 80-100 and end up with 20 FPS. GPU utilization is generally around 90-100% at the beginning of the flight, however both CPU and GPU utilization drop to the teens as the FPS worsen.

I've had this issue intermittently, whether using payware or stock aircraft. 

I've searched the internet for solutions and have tried a few things such as increasing the virtual memory (pagefile), but the problem mostly persists.

There are hundreds of variables at play but I wonder if anyone else is encountering similar issues?

My specs:

Settings: Ultra 

Resolution: 1440p

RTX 3080
i9-9900
32Gb RAM

This usually happens in P3D.. what I do for long hauls is I save the flight before TOD and then quit the sim, restart and the FPS is back to its high original value.. This may have something to do with RAM or paging file, etc.. has been discussed a lot in P3D forums..

Now, you may not be able to do the same in MSFS because P3D is a very stable sim and the addons are also very mature and stable.. when I reload a flight in PMDG or QW787, the exact panel state is restored down to the tiniest detail of how I left each switch.. I doubt MSFS can do that now.. even XP11 can't do that (except for few planes like FF320 or Toliss)..

I don't own MSFS, but I'm surprised by the similarity of FPS degradation.. maybe there's some deep rooted legacy code common to both the sims?

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

vin747 is probably right, something like a memory leak maybe.  The other thing is temperatures - what tenps are your CPU and GPU showing (I assume that you are not overclocking with a decent system like yours).

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I saw someone mention the same issue, for him it could be resolved by turning live traffic off and back on again. I don't do long haul flights as of now, so I can't comment on the effectiveness of this fix... But certainly worth a try!

• Like 2

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

7 hours ago, pstrub said:

I saw someone mention the same issue, for him it could be resolved by turning live traffic off and back on again.

This here

• Like 2

I don't do many long hauls, but I'm doing one now to Teterboro from Oxford and my FPS has gone from locked 30 FPS but now struggling to @ 24.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

This issue is related to memory leak, which I'm assuming it was not fixed with the latest hotfix, It is highly unlikely the problem comes from gpu/cpu temps.

Edited by CarlosF

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

On 8/3/2021 at 10:59 AM, pstrub said:

I saw someone mention the same issue, for him it could be resolved by turning live traffic off and back on again. I don't do long haul flights as of now, so I can't comment on the effectiveness of this fix... But certainly worth a try!

I can confirm, it's not memory leak or something, turning live traffic off and back on again, helps

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, kusjev said:

I can confirm, it's not memory leak or something, turning live traffic off and back on again, helps

Great! Glad I could help!

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

In my case toggling Live Traffic made no difference (it's usually off for me anyway), but turning off Live Weather did the trick.

Hopefully the devs are looking into it.

11 hours ago, kusjev said:

Puedo confirmar, no es una fuga de memoria o algo así, apagar y encender el tráfico en vivo, ayuda

Hi,

However, I've to say this tricky doesn't work for me, actually. And yes, remembers the P3D long haul flights behavioiur, so may be an issue memory leaks related.

In fact, that is an issue really present in MSFS oficcial forum.

Regards