Sign in to follow this  
Keirtt

Performance degradation with long hauls

As the title suggests, there is clearly an issue with performance degradation when doing flights >10 hours. Could be less, but I've only noticed it with these extended flights. There's a thread that was created on April 11th on the official forum. Looking to see if others have run into the same issues with these long haul flights. For me, flying into Dubai this morning, I noticed over the ocean my frames were dipping into the 30s and would rebound after awhile. Approach Dubai, this became more frequent the lower I went until at one point it hit rock bottom around 13 fps! My performance stayed dismal all the way until final approach around 2500' when everything appeared to improve all of the sudden.

Some things I noticed approaching Dubai... 

• Heavy pop-in of structures and landscape.
  • Blurry textures
  • Tiles/Grids that remained blurred in the area. I recall seeing similar behavior in p3d during a lengthy flight.
  • Mountains that were morphing
  • Sudden improvement on final approach and afterwards.

After landing, my fps returned to complete normal of 80+ and I was able to move around the city without any issues. I've attached some images for reference and a link to the thread in case anyone else wants to help out with votes!

>>Click below for the thread<<
After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS

Arriving Dubai with FPS dropping to 14....

IMG-0926.jpg

After landing in Dubai you can see my FPS returned to normal

3.png

Great FPS floating around the city after landing!

4.png

Edited by Keirtt
  • Like 1

Gaming rig
Intel i9 13900k - NZXT Kraken Z73 cooler - ASUS Maximus Hero Z790 
32GB Trident Z 6000MHz DDR5 - Gigabyte 4090 GAMING OC 24G
10 x 120mm Lian Li UNI fans - Lian Li OD11XL Case - Corsair HX1500i PSU

2 minutes ago, bondislacker said:

I'm suffering from the same issue as per the thread:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/604627-fps-loss-on-long-flights/

Just read your post actually. Sounds like the same issue for sure. I was using the Salty mod with their most recent update for this flight. They need to figure out what’s up with these long hauls for sure. Sorry for the duplicate thread otherwise I would’ve added to yours.

Do you notice any improvement like I did after landing?

Edited by Keirtt

Gaming rig

Check your GPU temps. It could be getting hot and throttling.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

I had the same issue yesterday with a flight from klax to kjfk. I started with 60 fps from LAX  and by the time I got to chicago I was down to 30 fps in clear skys. By the time I got to Buffalo I was down below 20fps. My video card temp was 43C and usage was in a range of 20 to 30 %. My cpu was around 20%. The scenery was also a blurry mess. I eventually just ended the flight. I dont know if this is any indication of a memory leak but I have never seen this behaviour before.

Don

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

System Intel core I9-10900.Asus prime Z490P motherboard, Corsair 32gb ddr4 dram, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD and 1 TB Seagate Barracuda HD. Zotac GE force RTX 2080 Super  750 Watt power supply, Windows 10 Pro, Honeycomb yoke and Bravo,Thrustmaster pedals

Try disabling and reenabling live ai once performance starts dropping (if you have it enabled)

• Like 1

Now Do you have a fix for the ridiculous temps and Atc which for all intended purposes no longer works also?

Don

System Intel core I9-10900.Asus prime Z490P motherboard, Corsair 32gb ddr4 dram, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD and 1 TB Seagate Barracuda HD. Zotac GE force RTX 2080 Super  750 Watt power supply, Windows 10 Pro, Honeycomb yoke and Bravo,Thrustmaster pedals

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

Try disabling and reenabling live ai once performance starts dropping (if you have it enabled)

Nah, I had that disabled already. So that shouldn't have been the issue but thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

Gaming rig

4 hours ago, RobJC said:

Check your GPU temps. It could be getting hot and throttling.

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have a few programs that run on my second monitor and one of them monitors my CPU and GPU. Everything appeared to be normal. CPU was running a little cooler than expected at 45c and the GPU was at 61c at its hottest.

• Like 1

Gaming rig

Same issue here, no more than a two hours flight, and the performance degradation and stutters are evident. No temperatures problem at this moment and the cpu and gpu stress became really low.

My specifications are Nvidia RTX 3090 and AMD Ryzen 5900X. 32 Gb RAM.

May be a bug not fixed by the last update?

Regards

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Fantrainer said:

Same issue here, no more than a two hours flight, and the performance degradation and stutters are evident. No temperatures problem at this moment and the cpu and gpu stress became really low.

My specifications are Nvidia RTX 3090 and AMD Ryzen 5900X. 32 Gb RAM.

May be a bug not fixed by the last update?

Regards

Saw the same as far as impact on CPU and GPU. The utilization went down considerably during all of this. 

Gaming rig

I successfully recreated the FPS degradation over an 8 hour period. Again, stellar performance at take off (around 100 FPS, GPU fully utilized). 8 hours later, big performance drop (20 FPS).

I tried to recover by doing the following with no success:

+ Toggle Live Traffic

+ Reduce Render scaling, then increasing it shortly after

+ Toggle Live Weather

+ Increasing Page file size to 45Gb min and 50Gb max prior to testing

+ Reduced AI boats and AI cars

I'm at a loss really.

2.jpg

1.jpg

46 minutes ago, bondislacker said:

I successfully recreated the FPS degradation over an 8 hour period. Again, stellar performance at take off (around 100 FPS, GPU fully utilized). 8 hours later, big performance drop (20 FPS).

I tried to recover by doing the following with no success:

+ Toggle Live Traffic

+ Reduce Render scaling, then increasing it shortly after

+ Toggle Live Weather

+ Increasing Page file size to 45Gb min and 50Gb max prior to testing

+ Reduced AI boats and AI cars

I'm at a loss really.

Make sure you add this to the thread that's tracking this issue on their forums. With the salty mod out and the ability to actually do these long hauls (For me now anyways), I'd really like to see them figure this out. Great testing! I did some similar things with the same results. By chance did you noticed on approach like I did that the scenery was struggling to load and things improved on final?

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/after-playing-a-few-hours-fps-drops-from-40-to-5fps/389603

**Disregard, saw you already posted over there.

Edited by Keirtt

Gaming rig

I am seeing the exact same,

Just trying the stock A320 from Aberdeen to Ibiza, started out with a solid and very fluid 60fps now getting 29fps with around 120NM to go. Just for fun I was running HWiNFO64 to see how my hardware was performing. Nothing changed from the beginning of the flight:

CPU usage - 28%

CPU Temp - 55 degrees

GPU Usage - 35%

GPU Temp - 51 degrees

System Mem - 12GB

Was so hopeful when I jumped in the A320 after the last update and saw a pretty decent increase in performance sitting at a gate. Guess I'll be flying a different A320 for the time being 😞 

Edited by Richdem
  • Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png