Sign in to follow this  
Keirtt

Performance degradation with long hauls

1 minute ago, Richdem said:

I am seeing the exact same,

Just trying the stock A320 from Aberdeen to Ibiza, started out with a solid and very fluid 60fps now getting 29fps with around 120NM to go.

Was so hopeful when I jumped in the A320 after the last update and saw a pretty decent increase in performance sitting at a gate. Guess I'll be flying a different A320 for the time being 😞 

I guess the good news here is that it's easily reproduced which means they should be able to narrow it down pretty quickly. The challenge is getting them to openly admit it's a bug that needs attention and provide feedback. With the Salty mod for the 748 now being something people can enjoy with the most recent update, we'll see more and more of these folks trying to do long hauls and getting frustrated. 

Gaming rig
Intel i9 13900k - NZXT Kraken Z73 cooler - ASUS Maximus Hero Z790 
32GB Trident Z 6000MHz DDR5 - Gigabyte 4090 GAMING OC 24G
10 x 120mm Lian Li UNI fans - Lian Li OD11XL Case - Corsair HX1500i PSU

5 minutes ago, Keirtt said:

I guess the good news here is that it's easily reproduced which means they should be able to narrow it down pretty quickly. The challenge is getting them to openly admit it's a bug that needs attention and provide feedback. With the Salty mod for the 748 now being something people can enjoy with the most recent update, we'll see more and more of these folks trying to do long hauls and getting frustrated. 

5 minutes ago, Keirtt said:

I was running with online traffic, I gust turned it off and my fps went straight back up to 60, turned it back on again and still at 60??

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Just now, Richdem said:

I was running with online traffic, I gust turned it off and my fps went straight back up to 60, turned it back on again and still at 60??

I don't run with online traffic so I'm not too sure.

Gaming rig

3 minutes ago, Keirtt said:

I don't run with online traffic so I'm not too sure.

Maybe try turning a different setting off/on and see. If I get time tomorrow I will try again and see if I can replicate what happened

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

56 minutes ago, Richdem said:

Maybe try turning a different setting off/on and see. If I get time tomorrow I will try again and see if I can replicate what happened

I’m running the sim vanilla right now with the 787 from JFK to PHNL. Going to see how it does overnight. Getting 85+ FPS. Will report back in the AM.

Gaming rig

Think I'll have to do some more testing on this tomorrow when I get back from my 24 hour shift. I removed everything from my community folder and took the 787 from JFK to Honolulu. Half way over the pacific I turned around and let it fly back over land because I noticed my fps were still doing really well (80+). When I woke up this morning, my fps were still in the 60-70 range and when I got to the ground I was in the 50s. So, with that, it makes me wonder if it was a mod that was causing the issue. I may try the 748 next to see how it does vanilla and then try it with the salty mod afterwards.

Gaming rig

Another data point: Just did a 12 hour flight, PHL to DOH. I flew with Live Weather off and got around 100-120 before landing.

I will do another 12 hour flight later today to confirm the above.

8 hours ago, Keirtt said:

Think I'll have to do some more testing on this tomorrow when I get back from my 24 hour shift. I removed everything from my community folder and took the 787 from JFK to Honolulu. Half way over the pacific I turned around and let it fly back over land because I noticed my fps were still doing really well (80+). When I woke up this morning, my fps were still in the 60-70 range and when I got to the ground I was in the 50s. So, with that, it makes me wonder if it was a mod that was causing the issue. I may try the 748 next to see how it does vanilla and then try it with the salty mod afterwards.

What mods do you have installed? I'm curious about this too. 

Former Child, Current Adult

OK I can confirm I just recreated the exact same problem I had yesterday with the standard A320. Around 2 hours into a flight (LEIB - EGPD) the frames started to drop from the solid 60 FPS I was getting. When they reached 45 I turned off online traffic and they went straight back to 60. Turned traffic back on and they are still on 60. (See my post above)

I am curious now to try the same thing but this time with no online traffic from the get go.

Hope this helps

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

If this helps anyone I just completed the same flight this time with online traffic turned off,

Frames remained at 60 the entire flight. For me the issue is definitely the online traffic.

• Like 3

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

I also had the same problem, but I discovered if I turn off the Shader Cache setting in the Nvidia control panel under the MSFS profile it resolved the issue for me. No more performance degradation on long hauls. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Has there been any new discovery about that?
I am having this too after SU5 and WU6 in medium-long-hauls (3 hours) with the A32X, and while live traffic off/on does regain some FPS, it still remains in the low 20s.
It doesn't seem to affect everyone, so I'm afraid Asobo won't (be able to) fix it.

Could it be some mods? Maybe I'll start a list with my used mods, so anyone can add to that and we'll see if there is a pattern:

- I am generally using a lot of airport sceneries (maybe they are not being deleted from the cache, when I fly past them?)
- I am using Bijan's trees mod, always the latest update (could be some memory leak with the trees?)
- I am using both ORBX AI ships add-ons (from Seafront Simulations; again a memory leak?)
- As I said, I am using the A32NX
- I am using the No Handle - Toolbar mod (makes the toolbar handle invisible)
- I am using IVAO traffic models for live traffic (memory leak? haven't done a flight with live traffic off from the start, so who knows)
- I am using the static AI mods from flightsim.to, that add static aircraft to major airports
- I am using the taxi ribbon mod

Do you use one or more of those mods too? Please quote me an let me know, so we can narrow this down.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 11:39 PM, Fiorentoni said:

Do you use one or more of those mods too? Please quote me an let me know, so we can narrow this down.

I have a lot of addon airports freeware, I wish there was a tool that could find the non compatible airports with a certain version of the sim and remove them if incompatible. If there is a tool such as this then please someone link me to it.

The only other mods I have installed are the 'no handlebar toolbar mod' and the FBW A32NX latest version.

I just completed a 9 hour 27 minute round trip from Edinburgh - Tenerife - Edinburgh, two hours into the last leg just passing near Santander and with some thunderstorms in the area I noticed my performance significantly reduced and stayed that way until I closed the sim after landing in Edinburgh.

Mind you, I haven't used the sim for such prolonged periods of time until today so this is the first time this issue has presented itself to me. I am just surpised that Asobo haven't found a fix for it as this issue appears to go back to first release in 2020.

I hope they get to the bottom of this soon as AS are going to have some very frustrated users once the big devs release their highly anticipated aircraft for the sim in the coming months.

An update: We found a work around over at MSFS forums, that fixes that completely. I quote myself:

"just to try something out before quitting the abovementioned flight, I set some destination on the flight assistant tab and enabled “ai piloting” and WHOM FPS back to normal! That’s crazy, but try it out for yourself and let me know!
Just to make it clear: You can deactivate ai piloting just after that and FPS will stay good. An easy workaround it seems!"

Sounds like a magic trick, but it works

• Like 2