Sign in to follow this  
Max Kraus

FSX Optimization Next Steps

Guest byoung

OK I have pretty much followed the steps via the FSX tweaking blogs ie:http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/FSX_F...uide#FSX_Tweaks It appears the next step is to focus on Scenery and AI traffic, as these are now the two biggest killers of FPS.Scenery: Need replacement textures for airports / buildings as out of the box seem to cripple FPS. The autogen buildings around the airport seem to be way to cartoonish, I have renamed the autogen file as described in the optimization blog.A/I: Can anything be done about this? No aircraft moving and setting above 50% kicks FSX FPS butt. Weather: Seems to be OK with the Cloud textures. Would like other cloud textures if performance is better.I have a dual core AMD 5600 (Dual 2.8 GHZ) with 2GB RAM and a 7900GS w/ 256MB. I was hoping for better performance.Obviusly, I have increased my performance over my old system (2.5 GHZ P4), but would like my FPS to stay locked at an even 20 - 24 FPS. These are really the minimums that you need for the sim to be "flyable". Some have indicated 13-15 FPS being OK, but I found that once you drop below 17 or so, it affects the general control of the sim, especially landing. Landing needs above average FPS, 20-24 or greater.I think ACES needs to concentrate on a seemless way to convert textures to better optimized graphic DXT3, etc. It seems like there is way more bang for the buck, if some of these graphic textures etc are converted to optimized formats. Lets hope they focus on this aspect. Thanks!Barry

Guest emkramer

Autogen used to be a no compromise thing for me: Autogen or nothing. That is until I tried it without autogen with the texture detail at 1m. Consider me a no-autogen convert. I can run scenery maxed (well, water at 2.x low), etc locked at 26 fps. It looks stunning with 4x AA and 8x AF.EarlP4 2.8 GHz1 GB slow ramRadeon x1650 Pro 512 MB.

>Autogen used to be a no compromise thing for me: Autogen or>nothing. That is until I tried it without autogen with the>texture detail at 1m. Consider me a no-autogen convert. I>can run scenery maxed (well, water at 2.x low), etc locked at>26 fps. It looks stunning with 4x AA and 8x AF.A big +1 on this. Autogen will kill you. I have everything maxed except water and autogen. Water isn't maxed because I don't think its realistic. I should correct myself. Autogen is maxed, but only after some *.CFG tweaks. This got rid of the autogen buildings, but kept the autogen trees. Now I'm streaming along at a steady 24FPS. Unless I go somewhere graphic intensive, like NYC.

Consider Matt Fox's Autogendescriptions.spb file, if you haven't already. Gain = 10% fps.Consider tweaking your memory latency settings, if you haven't already. Gain = 8% fps on an A64 platform such as you have. Please be knowledgeable of your BIOS reset jumper before doing this.I lock at 24 fps and get 20-24 *most* of the time. And I use "Dense" autogen setting and a custom AI. You should be able to achieve this, or even better, with your cpu. You should be out-doing my cpu.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Oh man, my autogen's maxed with little problems. No Autogen would be unthinkable for me. It would be like flying over some empty green stone planet.AI - Use World of AI packages and install them at your leisure.Airports - I'm sure there will be a package released equivalent to Airport Environment Upgrade.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU