Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Aviat Husky A-1C is released!

19 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Sounds quite fun. I haven't done any bush flying yet. Would you guys recommend the Aviat Husky as a good starter plane to get into the hobby of bush flying? What's the best plane for bush flying currently?

Personally if it's not something you've done before I'd suggest starting with the free Savage Carbon or Savage Grravel mods and see if it appeals before spending extra money.

https://flightsim.to/file/3723/savage-carbon-stol-realism-mod

https://flightsim.to/file/5061/savage-grravel-monster-truck-in-the-skies

If you do like it the Husky seem pretty good to my very inexperienced eye and is fun to fly.

Edited by Matchstick
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Sounds quite fun. I haven't done any bush flying yet. Would you guys recommend the Aviat Husky as a good starter plane to get into the hobby of bush flying? What's the best plane for bush flying currently?

Savage Grravel. By a country mile. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, YoYo said:

Hmmm.... start from cold and dark is easy. Check your fuel lever (must be on for sure), master batteries on, mixture rich, fuel pump on, magneto both + starter. Next alternator, avionics ect. 

Yeah, it was some sim weirdness. I just reopened it and then it worked. Did a small circuit, managed to land the plane perfectly, it being the first time I've flied a tail dragger. Overall, I quite like it.

Thanks for your help!

There is right turning tendency in straight and level flight if let go of control. I believe it's incorrect based on prop rotation direction Husky should exhibit  left turning tendency. Also rudder trim should be bent to the left! (yes I'm picky I know!) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

22 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

There is right turning tendency in straight and level flight if let go of control. I believe it's incorrect based on prop rotation direction Husky should exhibit  left turning tendency. Also rudder trim should be bent to the left! (yes I'm picky I know!) 

Is rudder trim actually doing anything for you ?
I was trying to use it yesterday and it was showing up in the Input Viewer plugin but didn't seem to have any actual impact.

20 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

Is rudder trim actually doing anything for you ?
I was trying to use it yesterday and it was showing up in the Input Viewer plugin but didn't seem to have any actual impact.

Sorry misread your post thinking about rudder control. Husky like 172 doesn't have rudder trim. I should though some 172 I flew did have optional kit for rudder trim but it's uncommon. Not sure about Husky never flew then. But I do believe they share same rudder trim tab on vertical fin that bendable on the ground. In Husky reprsentedby Asobo it' straight

ground-tab.jpg

Edited by sd_flyer

18 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Works fine on my end

Cheers, time to do some more testing this evening then 🙂

1 minute ago, Matchstick said:

Cheers, time to do some more testing this evening then 🙂

I edited my post above! Please read!

Oh right - that would explain why trim control doesn't do anything ! :)

Thanks for the update

6 hours ago, captain420 said:

Curious to know what you guys find so fascinating about GA bush planes and flying? Is it because bush flying has more freedom, no liimts, land pretty much anywhere, where as with traditonal GA flying, you have more rules, and fly by the books, etc?

Fly the landing challenge at Bugalaga Airstrip,  if you haven't already.    (WX53)

In areas like Papua,  New Guinea,   there are no roads.   There are remote tribes scattered everywhere,   and the tribes who have the manpower/resources build their own strips out of the jungle.    They have very little bottom land,  it's all bush strips on mountains.

Doing community flights with a good group,   in areas like that,   are just a flat out blast.    It's one of life's simple pleasures to grease a bush landing,  and then watch everyone else in a group of 30 or 40 people shoot their approach.   You end up either clapping,  or laughing.

The better you know the group,  the more fun it is.   There might be 20 strips in a 10 mile area,  lots of action.   The group I fly with ranges from a couple of mature teens,   to CFI's,  to a RL 787 pilot.

Of course, IRL, operating in places like that are serious as a heart attack.   There is no place to set down in an emergency, just trees.

Edited by Waldo Pepper
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 7:42 PM, Stoopy said:

True, these single-engine, high-wing, tandem seat cub-inspired aircraft are all somewhat kinda alike but we will NEVER have enough until we actually get the real-deal superior penultimate aircraft of all time!  This Husky and others are all pretenders to the throne until we have one of these... 

...plus one of these...

...and then one of THESE just for weekends!!!!

Yes,  please.

And,  MUST have DRACO.

Draco Specifications

• Initial aircraft: 2008 PLZ-104 Wilga
  • Engine: Pratt & Whitney PT6A-28
  • Horsepower: 680
  • Maximum speed: 205 mph
  • Cruise speed: 180 mph
  • Fuel: Jet fuel (can also run on diesel or fuel mixes if jet fuel isn’t available)
  • Fuel consumption: 28 gph at cruising speed
  • Fuel capacity: 160 gallons
  • Range: 1,000 mi
  • Stall speed: 35 mph
  • Take-off distance: 78 feet
  • Landing distance: 97 feet
  • Rate of climb: 4,200 fpm
  • Build time: 5 months and 3 weeks

And,  Scrappy.\

Scrappy is ridiculous.  It's the ultimate search and rescue cub.  780 Lycoming (With Nitrous,  because it's Mike).   Enough battery and solar to weld,   camp overnight,  and charge the two electric motocross motorcycles it carry's under it's wings.

Mike Patey never sleeps.   Never thought he'd have it completed by Oshkosh 21,

2:40,  scrappy goes lowrider.

Edited by Waldo Pepper
  • Like 2

On 8/3/2021 at 11:33 PM, Chock said:

Here's my review of it:

Excellent review,  just finished watching it.   You mentioned the radio telescope,  during one of the last updates Asobo promoted a mod which adds dishes,  smokestacks,  construction cranes.   "We Love VFR",  by PuffinFlight.

There are two regions,  and the 2nd region features smoke effects.   They really add to the landscape,  imo.   Puffin plans to update region 1 to include smoke / effects.

https://flightsim.to/file/2605/we-love-vfr-region-1

https://flightsim.to/file/16674/we-love-vfr-region-2

Edited by Waldo Pepper

Do you know what this knob and button do?

28j86Yr.jpg

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

I like the Husky a lot in the lowlands but it's a real dog at or above 10,000. No matter how I adjusted mix, prop, throttle I had limited functionality at altitude. Problematic for mountain flying, to be sure. Down on the flat, it rocks.

Edited by rexbo47