Sign in to follow this  
paoloalr

low friction patch - Sim1.dll for FS9

Hello everybody

I'm one of the last who still fly with FS2004, I've searched a lot around to find and old patch for the "ground friction" but i can't find it anymore. It was a modification of the Sim1.Dll

Can somebody help me? With this patch I'll be able to perform a "one engine taxi"? 

Thank you!

You are definitely not the only diehard FS9 user left on this planet because here's another one and I gaurantee that there are more as well.

Tom Gibson has posted a very clear procedure for editing Sim1.dll on FlightSim.com under his header named: "Sim1.dll Ground Friction mod" in March 2005 and which is based on the Hex-editor process. You could also search for this string via Google to arrive at that post.

Hope this helps.

Hans

Thank you, I've tried, but I can't, it's too complex for me.

I was hoping someone still had the edited file.

When reading all the different posts on this subject it seems that editing the Sim1.dll file almost always seems to result in "give or take" issues, whereby some simmers will need to keep "riding their brakes" during taxiing, while others need to keep applying extra power in combination with "riding their brakes". The latter can then become even worse, e.g. with the slower reacting turbo prop engined aircraft on different taxiway surfaces.

In my real life experiences it's always been necessary to apply some extra power in order to get moving from a parked position, especially with the heavier and fully loaded aircraft, but as soon as it actually begins to move, power can be reduced substantially in order to maintain correct and realistic taxi speeds. Quite normal really.

However, most simmers tend to fly or at least try to fly, in anything from Cessnas to B-747s and my feeling is that to then edit a general and overall file like Sim1.dll, will only cause extra and more unpredictable taxi behavior with the different aircraft.

Looking forward to any reactions from die-hard FS9ers who have actually been experimenting with the FS9 Sim1.dll file and especially from those who have then used different aircraft under different conditions.

Regards

Hans

Another die hard FS9 user here. Johan Dees did the modified sim1.dll. He site is no longer available. He use to be here on Avsim often over the years. Not sure if he’s still around. I’ll look through my decades of downloads to see if I still have it later today.

I'll always have FS9 installed somewhere as I still like to tinker around with it.

Right now I'm about to start making my own AI traffic that will only serve the few high quality airports I have installed.

Haven't heard of this modded .dll before, but I'm not having any friction issues so I won't bother.

On 8/3/2021 at 9:30 PM, paoloalr said:

Hello everybody

I'm one of the last who still fly with FS2004, I've searched a lot around to find and old patch for the "ground friction" but i can't find it anymore. It was a modification of the Sim1.Dll

Can somebody help me? With this patch I'll be able to perform a "one engine taxi"? 

Thank you!

FWIW You are very much NOT one of the last who still fly the classic sim FS2004.

I cannot remember whether I installed the modified Sim.dll or not but now I feel it was an excuse for bad airfiles. Take the POSKy 744 and IFLY 744..... chalk and cheese.  For the POSKY you will need a lot of throttle just to move and then when you have you cannot turn. The IFLY airfile is wonderful....a little throttle to start your taxi and when you steer the aircraft turns.   

I'm not saying I know how to write a good airfile but it can be done and that is where I would look. 

Edited by edetroit
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 12:58 PM, neumanix said:

Haven't heard of this modded .dll before, but I'm not having any friction issues so I won't bother.

You haven’t heard of it? It’s been mentioned ever since FS2004 was released as it’s been an issue in all sims for some time. 
You only have to google sim1.dll to see the posts mention with many here at AVSIM. 

Unless you’re using an add-on that has modded the air file, and the idle thrust, then there will be no issues. But all other add-ons have unrealistic friction issues unless you change the sim1.dll or mod the air file of a particular airplane you’re using. 

On 8/3/2021 at 4:30 PM, paoloalr said:

Hello everybody

Thank you!

I just pm'd you with the file i found. 

• Upvote 1