Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

VATSIM will not support X-Box for the time being

VATSIM has announced they will not support X-Box for the time being.  So for those who are worried about the casual X-Box gamers  infiltrating VATSIM, it's not happening any time soon.  Also, if you are annoyed by the X-Box gamers in multiplayer, just disable multiplayer traffic, and connect to VATSIM.  You will get the normal orderly VATSIM traffic, but of course, you gotta also obey VATSIM rules and VATSIM ATC.

• Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

....or you can log onto Vatsim as an observer and do not have to talk to anyone and have orderly traffic.....

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

24 minutes ago, Silicus said:

....or you can log onto Vatsim as an observer and do not have to talk to anyone and have orderly traffic.....

Make sure you always have the "observer" checkbox checked though. If you forget to check it, and you go rogue on VATSIM and you are not following VATSIM ATC instructions because you didn't realize you aren't in observer mode, you risk being suspended or worse, possibly banned on VATSIM.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the rules are for VATSIM when you use observer mode.  My understanding is that you're supposed to leave your plane sitting still on the tarmac and you're allowed to move with your drone camera to observe other planes and observe the airport.  I have no idea if VATSIM allows you to stay in observer mode and also move your plane at the same time (because if people forget to check the "observer" checkbox, it would cause problems).

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

Make sure you always have the "observer" checkbox checked though. If you forget to check it, and you go rogue on VATSIM and you are not following VATSIM ATC instructions because you didn't realize you aren't in observer mode, you risk being suspended or worse, possibly banned on VATSIM.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the rules are for VATSIM when you use observer mode.  My understanding is that you're supposed to leave your plane sitting still on the tarmac and you're allowed to move with your drone camera to observe other planes and observe the airport.  I have no idea if VATSIM allows you to stay in observer mode and also move your plane at the same time (because if people forget to check the "observer" checkbox, it would cause problems).

Yes I believe you can fly using observer mode. I remember watching a video by easyjetsimpilot about using observer mode as a way of practicing with vatsim and he recommended copying another player, treating the ATC instructions as if they were talking to you as a way to get familiar with the procedures and how they talk. Other players and ATC won't be able to see you.

• Like 1

Can you use observer mode for plane spotting at airports? I would love to do this. What software do I need to get in order to get onto VATSIM with MSFS in order to do this?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

34 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

XBOX/consoles is/are the future of flight simming.

Not challenging you, but what are you basing this on?  I get that people can get an xbox for cheaper than a high end gaming machine.  I contend that the flight simmer who is also an active member of avsim will probably be a PC simmer for the foreseeable future.  

Regarding VATSIM.  I'm all in favor of the hobby expanding.  But I'm happy xbox users will not be a part of vatsim.  The last year has already caused some challenges with unprepared flyers on vatsim.  Everybody's gotta start somewhere.  I realize that.  But I can remember many years ago having to actually study up pretty hard before I was ready.  That tradition should also be passed on.  It's more rewarding for current vatsim pilots, and also more rewarding for the future ones.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I think this is a good think. I'm not a fan of VATSIM but I understand why people like it. But this way Microsoft can't simply ignore the lacking ingame ATC because VATSIM exists. There should be more pressure now to improve it when Xbox Players have only access to the ingame ATC.

• Upvote 1

You can always fly on Vatsim without speaking to anyone, stay below 18k in the US and outside of any Class D airspace (or higher) - no problem.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

The intent of observer mode isn’t to fly online with no regard for ATC or being a “nonparticipating user” in other ways. I don’t understand why people want to do this. 

Matt Bartels

On 8/4/2021 at 6:21 AM, micstatic said:

Not challenging you, but what are you basing this on?  I get that people can get an xbox for cheaper than a high end gaming machine.  I contend that the flight simmer who is also an active member of avsim will probably be a PC simmer for the foreseeable future.  

Regarding VATSIM.  I'm all in favor of the hobby expanding.  But I'm happy xbox users will not be a part of vatsim.  The last year has already caused some challenges with unprepared flyers on vatsim.  Everybody's gotta start somewhere.  I realize that.  But I can remember many years ago having to actually study up pretty hard before I was ready.  That tradition should also be passed on.  It's more rewarding for current vatsim pilots, and also more rewarding for the future ones.  

Outsider here. I'm a middle aged man who grew up on Flight Simulator from the monochrome DOS days all the way through FS X before having to abandon it due to unrelated reasons. I was around civil aviation as a kid due to my parents' job, worked for a commercial airline as a young adult before moving on to a career track in the tech industry, and after spending an embarrassing amount of time binge watching those "real airline pilot flies xplane/flight simulator" videos during the pandemic, realized how much joy this stuff has brought me. I knew I should just buy the hardware to get back into this.

Trouble was, I now live in a small <500 condo in Manhattan and frankly I get enough seat time in my "work" chair, I've got enough computer hardware that I don't want a third PC just for gaming, and Xbox made perfect sense. I can set something up in my "not at work" part of my condo, buy a yoke and pedals, etc.

I waited diligently for something to show up, and last night the timing was right and I nailed an Xbox X order thanks to a restock. This morning I woke up thinking about how much time I was going to waste going down this black hole of learning to cold start antique jumbo jets and filing flight plans in my spare time instead of rekindling a normal social life of the sort I had pre-COVID. And it didn't bother me one bit.

Then I started looking into how to get into VATSIM and installing other mods, since, to me, this is about real world everything. And then I found out that not only is it not supported, but the attitude of the average VATSIMmer is this kind of toxic gatekeeping word not allowed. Not just here, but on other forums too, and r---it (am I allowed to name other websites? anyway you get the idea). Didn't used to be like this.

My other hobbies are road cycling and fine wines so I'm no stranger to toxic levels of elitism, and you guys honestly make the average road warrior wine snob look like Barney the Dinosaur.

So if you ever wonder why the average member will be one of your own, maybe it's not because people aren't willing to put in the time and effort. Maybe the problem is you.

Brand new account and this will probably not even get mod approved, but I needed to rant so there you go. Enjoy your secret club, my Xbox is going on ebay and I'll spend this energy on a hobby that's less aggressively obnoxious, like middle aged men taking testosterone supplements pretending to be world champion pro cyclists.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Filthy Casual Child said:

Brand new account and this will probably not even get mod approved

I have approved your post but hope that future ones will not contain 'rants'. :wink:

No further mention of COVID please.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 8/4/2021 at 6:21 AM, micstatic said:

The last year has already caused some challenges with unprepared flyers on vatsim.  Everybody's gotta start somewhere.  I realize that.  But I can remember many years ago having to actually study up pretty hard before I was ready.  That tradition should also be passed on.  It's more rewarding for current vatsim pilots, and also more rewarding for the future ones.  

As a Vatsim controller, there have been some very trying moments over the past year.  The issue is not new pilots that have tried to prepare, those pilots are great, want to learn and generally do well.  The issue is the guys that have no clue and log on, don't know how to read back (usually don't bother), can't fly their aircraft and have no idea about procedures.  Its basically just vector them out of harms way and send them on their way.

Edited by MarkW
  • Like 5

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

@MarkW Said it perfectly. 

I resent the previous poster suggesting I'm an elitist.  Like most, I welcome with open arms new people to the hobby.  The ones who just jump right in without getting a basic level of knowledge however I don't.  I fly very often on vatsim and anybody who does would be able to detect the clear problem with pilots jumping in totally unprepared.  

@Filthy Casual Child It's not a secret club.  As you are aware it is open to anybody.  There are published rules as well as home study guides.  Not to mention youtube tutorials and countless material on forums like avsim.  Not sure how you infer the problem is me.  But you stated that you haven't even started doing vatsim flying yet.  So you are making a huge assumption/accusation on a service you haven't even used yet.  

• Like 3

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next