Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

ASP3D + ASCA Perf vs EA

2 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

I missed my weather radar using ASP3D in the PMDG/FSL and it only works with EA clouds off. I am just not a fan of 2d anymore . (FPS hit)

That’s why I’ll continue with ASCA and volumetric clouds off. Agreed we can choose what suits us best without disagreeing about it. 

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I found this to be a good explanation.

I chose EA on with volumetric clouds off running AS + ASCA.

• Like 4

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

Thanks Peter. That’s a good comparison. He never mentioned the fourth option of EA=On But HDR=Off.

For the seasoned campaigners amongst you does that combo kill all the lighting effects?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

14 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That’s why I’ll continue with ASCA and volumetric clouds off.

same here

Uwkph3w.png

• Like 1

Gents,

In EA mode, not using volumetric clouds this time, but now using ASP3D + ASCA, I have noticed that minimum cloud draw distance and maximum cloud draw distance don’t work? You seem to fly atop of a 90nm x90nm “pancake” with the clouds following you in a bubble. Is this right? The manual does not say these cloud draw distance settings only work in Non EA mode? Mine are set min 60 max 150 but it seems it is using default 90 regardless of the settings?

It also does not seem to be manipulating the range slider in P3D like it does in non EA?

Can someone check, as either have a borked ASP3D/ASCA install or it is what it is. I have almost decided I prefer the FPS hit than flying with volumetric clouds. I have never seen anything like them through any cockpit window I have looked out of (and I don’t often as I am scared of heights 🥰🥰).

I’m curious to know your guys shadows settings ?

I have all options ticked except particles.

I like to have them that way but in some scenarios or airports it gives weird effects.

which sucks.

thanks 

mike

8 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

He never mentioned the fourth option of EA=On But HDR=Off.

@Ray, maybe I'm missing something, but I cannot select the above arrangement that you mention.

If I select EA=ON then my HDR is automatically ON and greyed out so I cannot disable it.

Would you please tell me how I can select what you call the 'forth option', as I'm not a lover of HDR.

TIA,

Cheers.

Edited by Sparkrite

@Sparkrite, you have to edit the cfg file for that combo. But having tried it earlier it was far too dark both inside and out so I abandoned the option.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 8/5/2021 at 9:50 AM, Michael Moe said:

Yeps a really nice thing . I let it control HDR and you can choose better lighting in VC, static and outside view.

Set you self up in VC and adjust , etc for the other views but choose a view first before adjusting

Michael Moe

Probably I don't understand CP well enough, but could you please explain how to do this, please?

Dave Wadsworth
i9 13900K 5.5Ghz 64G DDR6000 nVidia 4090 
Win 11 22H2 Pro P3DV5.4 ASP/ASCA Pilot2ATC FS2Crew/TIR5/CP

After 2 days of EA I've turned it and HDR off. Despite several attempts to get a decent balance between outside and VC lighting I just couldn't find a decent setting despite editing the HDR.hlsl file contributed by biologicalnanobot in this post.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=142594&start=15

Maybe Spotlights reduces the imbalance but I'm not keen to start using that. LM really need to address this issue as it shouldn't be down to a private user to come up with a solution.

The last straw was landing at LIMC 17L yesterday. The runway was so dark the markings were barely visible. It was a sunny day.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

After 2 days of EA I've turned it and HDR off. Despite several attempts to get a decent balance between outside and VC lighting I just couldn't find a decent setting despite editing the HDR.hlsl file contributed by biologicalnanobot in this post.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=142594&start=15

Maybe Spotlights reduces the imbalance but I'm not keen to start using that. LM really need to address this issue as it shouldn't be down to a private user to come up with a solution.

The last straw was landing at LIMC 17L yesterday. The runway was so dark the markings were barely visible. It was a sunny day.

I'll try to edit HDR.hlsl with EA and HDR on and see. If I don't like I'd rather play with spotlights settings.

Thanks,

Edited by Dirk98
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Ray thanks to your post I'm enjoying a very good result with modified HDR.hlsl file. Are you sure you deleted Shaders folder as suggested? Could you give more details on the lighting imbalance that you didn't like? Was in VC or outside? Weird it is almost perfect now compared to how it was before the mod.

Thanks. 

Edited by Dirk98

@Dirk98, that’s good. Yes, I used SimStarterNG to delete them.

I used the Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25 which has a black surround on the main instrument panel. After copying/ pasting the revised HDR.hlsl and renaming the original I loaded that aircraft and used Live Graphics to adjust brightness. I took it up to 1.3 but still the panel  was very dark. Any higher and the clouds just whitened out into a mess.

Bloom is a waste of time. It has no discernible effect until moved to near maximum at which point everything just turns white. Saturation is left at 1.0 as my monitor already has accurate colours.

Reverting to EA and HDR both OFF gives me a good brightness level in both the VC and sky / clouds. The clouds have plenty of texture in them as my ASCA settings are near max quality.

Maybe the Lear isn’t the best VC for implementing EA and HDR but until LM sort it out I won’t be using it.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

22 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Dirk98, that’s good. Yes, I used SimStarterNG to delete them.

I used the Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25 which has a black surround on the main instrument panel. After copying/ pasting the revised HDR.hlsl and renaming the original I loaded that aircraft and used Live Graphics to adjust brightness.

Understood. What is Live Graphics btw?

Did you try Reshade? It does wonders in XP11 and I've found one for Prepar3D v5.2 here: 

Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirk98 said:

Understood. What is Live Graphics btw?

Did you try Reshade? It does wonders in XP11 and I've found one for Prepar3D v5.2 here: 

Thanks.

That option is on one of the main menu items. It allows HDR settings to be changed and the results can be viewed as you change them.

Not really interested in 3rd party solutions Dirk. This needs sorting by LM. 

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather