Sign in to follow this  
FTD1949

Who are they kidding?

"Sorry, this has what to do with FS9????????"Because the discussion is on the FS9 forum, not on the FSX forum.FSX will run on that minimum spec computer - with all the sliders set at the lowest level and no addon scenery or any AI. It won't run well enough for anyone to actually fly and land. But it will run.I run FSX for testing on an IBM T42 Laptop on an USB 2.0 external hard drive:1.7ghz Centrino processor512MB Ram32MB ATI Mobility Radeon 7500It is not enough to display full ground textures - but with AI running - it gives me 8-10 FPS most of the time and I have the Scenery Density set to maximum, but Autogen turned off.Like I said, not worth flying, but good enough for testing AI, airports, AFD and parking modifications, jetways, etc.

Appologies for jumping in, Dave, but no-one else responded to your query: I can't explain the difference in fps between 5 and 15, but from my experience you don't have the right hardware in that box of yours. I had (approximately) your system 'till September last year, and got moderately acceptable performance with FS9. The FS10 demo convinced me that an upgrade was needed. Nowadays 9 runs at 40 or 50, but locked at 25 - and FABULOUS - and FS10 runs, also locked at 25 very, very acceptably, with most sliders very high, or at the maximum values appropriate for the supplied detail level. There is no fps reduction in any flight phase.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest Stoopy

Gentlemen I appreciate that you make take issue with my question above but simply put, it comes from the position of a fellow FS9 user (and user of many past versions) like yourselves but who is disappointed in the break within the community. So, yes, mea culpa, I responded in a blunt way and I apologize.However I am also a fairly satisified FSX user and I will qualify that statement by saying I expected lesser performance going in, as has alway been my experience through almost all of the FS series and all of the CFS series. Could be my eyeballs have grown calluses from landing the Lear at 5FPS on the Commodore Amiga long ago, but I am able to use and enjoy it, more so after adding more RAM of course (which goes to supoport the idea of min system specs being screwy if that makes you happy).However, truth is on my previous system, FS9 was, to a degree, a somewhat poor performer on a 1.8Ghz P4 system which well exceeded the above min specs as well.....now, that's not to say it performed poorly to the same degree based on the ratio of the minimum specs and the delta of my PC specs. Anyway it's all about supporting each other and to that extent I'll provide my contributing answer, for what it's worth, to the above question in the spirit of old-fashioned community support (like it seems we used to have a lot more of):In FSX I don't get the FPS drop at altitude that's being mentioned, and like you the first thought that struck me was "Clouds", but, it sounds likely from the description it could be related to either terrain textures or terrain detail.....terrain detail would be more "visible" when viewed at 'steeper' angles of 5000 to 15000 ft (as compared to sitting on the ground) it seems, and would also not be a render task when flying above overcast conditions, so does lowering the terrain detail possibly help alleviate this?There.And apologies for an FSX answer in the wrong forum, happy flying to you all.Erich

Well why not John, it's only a game!It will never be a simuation, period!The default aircraft have more and lighting FDE's how else would you expect a GAME to be?Long live FS9, the LAST REAL simuator.

Dave Taylor gb.png

>>"Sorry, this has what to do with FS9????????">>>Actually it has alot to do with FS9 Jim!!!!!!>>Edit: Since I'm in a good mood Jim I'll explain. We are all>forced back to FS9 due to horrible performance with FSX. I>personally can't see how FSX would even start up with the>Minimum Specs. on the box.>>See the end user is back to FS9, thus it's in this forum. Dave,How do you figure that "we are all forced back to FS9" ?Maybe you are but there are plenty of us that won't go back.Craig ASUS A8N- nForce SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIe MOBOAMD ATHLON64 3500+ CPU w/ HT TechLG GWA-4161 DVD/CDSeagate ST3160811AS 160GB Barracuda 9 7200RPM 8MB SATA II 3Gb/s NCQSeagate ST3160811AS 250GB Barracuda 9 7200RPM 8MB SATA II 3Gb/s NCQEVGA 7950 GT KO PCIe 512mb nvodngov19147-[Guru3D.com] drivers SB Audigy 22G Corsair PC 3200 400MHZ Dual Channel DDR Super Alien 500W P/STrack IR3 w/vectorCH Yolk & RuddersFS Genesis Terrain MeshActive SkyRC4