Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

I have never eaten so much crab in one sitting...

9 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I guess I just can't abide the thought of all the gunk i'm swallowing that I would normally be carefully throwing away if it was a regular crab......

Edit: For real seafood lovers, you might be interested in this facebook group I bumped into a while ago.... https://www.facebook.com/groups/637407536771326

Thank you.  I've jumped into that group for a while to see what goes on...

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Oh Noel,

You don't know how I love crab.

Spot on Noel, spot on Sir!

Very Best....  Phil

While crab is tasty, I much prefer lobster, dipped of course in garlic butter.

As for steak, my favorite is a well-marbled ribeye... with no kind of "steak sauce" ruining it!

• Like 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm a steak purist myself Father Bob.  I also like roast beef (prime rib).

My supermarket has a butcher ion the back.  An addition to the wrapped stuff on the shelves he has a showcase where he displays fresh seafood and choice meat.  I point to ribeyes laid out there and tell him to cut me two 4 inches thick.  Those are my prime rib roasts.  I also tell him to cut me a half dozen 6 ounce filet mignons.  My wife eats like a bird so I'll cook one and give her two ounces and I'll take four ounces.

Here's my recipe for rare roast beef (beef cooked beyond rare than rare is only good for resoling your shoes).

Two hours before putting the roast in the oven season it on both sides with Lawry's seasoned salt and seasoned pepper.  Then sprinkle on a bit of curry.  Cover with foil and let sit for a couple of hours.  Meat should always be room temperature before you cook it.

Put two tablespoons of flour into a cup and add a small bit of beef broth.  Stir with a fork until you have a paste.  Add more beef broth and stir until you have a watery mixture.  Set aside until the roast is done.

Heat the oven to 375 degrees.  Put a little olive oil into a cast iron skillet and add three tablespoons of butter.  Brown the roast all over on medium heat.  Turn the heat under the skillet to low and leave it there.  After you take the roast out add some beef broth, whisk in the burnt meat and juices on the bottom of the skillet and turn the burner to low.

Add a couple cups of water to the roasting pan. When the oven has reached 375 degrees put the roast in.  A remote temperature probe is a must because you have to monitor it.  When center of the roast reaches 125 degrees turn the oven down to 225 degrees.  When the center of the roast reaches 135 degrees take it out of the oven and cover with foil for at least 15 minutes.

Pour the leavings of the roasting pan into the skillet you browned the roast in.  Raise the heat to medium and add a cup beef broth for the gravy.  Whisk it well.  When simmering add the flour mixture and stir until you get the desired thickness of the gravy.

It looks like a lot of work, and it is, but it's well worth it.

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Bill....Bob...just don't call him late for dinner!  and I'll second the lobster over the crab!  🦞🦞  Maybe a lobster taco! 🌮

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

No! No! No!  Lobster has a coarse texture and is no match for for the delicate texture of snow crab. 

Although chopped lobster meat or shrimp (or both) is OK for fried rice. 

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

21 hours ago, fppilot said:

Stans,
I've found an addon KFCI for MSFS at TO.  Are you aware of it?

I do not have MSFS, I'm still an FSX user, but I did look up that add-on.  Taxiways appear to be laid out correctly, but the runway lights are incorrect as FCI has only a 1400 foot MALSR system with strobes, no lights embedded into the runway surface.  Buildings are accurately placed, but not all are accurately shaped.  Aircraft parking T's are way too thick.  Since I do not have MSFS, some of these issues may be due to limitations within that sim, but I do not know.  By the way, FCI just opened a new FBO, it's located on the north ramp, next to the land side access gate.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Do they serve crab, lobster, or roast beef at the new FBO stans?

Noel

• Like 1

Another seafood favorite...pulpo!  As long as it is cooked correctly, Yummy! 🐙

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

3 hours ago, stans said:

I do not have MSFS, I'm still an FSX user, but I did look up that add-on.  Taxiways appear to be laid out correctly, but the runway lights are incorrect as FCI has only a 1400 foot MALSR system with strobes, no lights embedded into the runway surface.  Buildings are accurately placed, but not all are accurately shaped.  Aircraft parking T's are way too thick.  Since I do not have MSFS, some of these issues may be due to limitations within that sim, but I do not know.  By the way, FCI just opened a new FBO, it's located on the north ramp, next to the land side access gate.

Yes to all of what you stated.  Most of the user created/supported addon airports to date for MSFS are works in process with anywhere from occasional to frequent updates as they progress.  Many if not most smaller regional airports to this point in time are assembled with MSFS stock buildings or from otherwise addon scenery libraries, which also progress over time.  Its sort of like the old adage of not perfect but close enough. 

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

19 hours ago, birdguy said:

I'm a steak purist myself Father Bob.  I also like roast beef (prime rib).

Thanks for the recipe, Noel.  Hopefully prices of beef will eventually go down a bit. I was at Whole Foods yesterday and noted that their lovely prime rib was $14.99/lb, !!!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

19 hours ago, birdguy said:

I'm a steak purist myself Father Bob. 

Please don't call me Shirley.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

Hopefully prices of beef will eventually go down a bit. I was at Whole Foods yesterday and noted that their lovely prime rib was $14.99/lb, !!!

That's a bargain Fr Bill.  I just looked in the freezer and I have 2 roasts left.  I checked the sticker,  I pay 19.99 a pound and 2.5 pounds cost me 49.99.  But but that lasts the two of us 6 days.  I cut off enough slices for 2 more days and eat the beef cold on day 2 and day 3.  Whats left I cut into small pieces and Betty puts most of them into a salad and makes enough last 2 more days.  And I have enough pieces left over to put into fried rice on day 6.  

But we don't eat that well every day.  Hungry Man dinners and chicken pot pies and hamburger helper and pork chops and chicken are our main meals.  The prime rib and the filet mignon are once a month occasions. 

We re old and don't much anymore. Our appetites have have gone down.

We eat out twice a month and always bring half of the meal back in doggie bags for tomorrow.

Noel

Hey, talkin' about meat prices.....I just paid $18 for a little over 2 lbs of meatloaf, fer cryin' up a stump! 🤪  It would be cheaper to go bite a cow on the butt!

Oh, oh!  I see Noel is creating a topic......it must be story day!

Charlie Aron

"It would be cheaper to go bite a cow on the butt! "

Each to their own, whatever turns you on as they say!