Sign in to follow this  
carbonbasedlifeform

Why are there so many airports in Florida?

I've started simming in Flordia because of the interesting weather. There are a lot of airports compared to other regions. Why? Especially if the weather can be so dangerous.

I'm just curious. I live in Florida and would like to know what you what you mean by "interesting" and "dangerous" weather. Except for the occasional and predictable storm (they have those everywhere) I find it just the opposite compared to other places I've lived i.e., mild, rather boring, and not dangerous at all. One of the reasons I live here is that, at my age, I don't need all that "weather" stuff. It's a great place to fly. Lots of sunshine, no altitude problems, usually not much wind to deal with, and the temperatures are never too hot nor too cold to safely get off the ground. I've flown a lot of places over the years and this, IMNSHO, is one of the best.

• Like 4

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

2 hours ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

There are a lot of airports compared to other regions. Why? Especially if the weather can be so dangerous.

More places to land safely!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Money makes airports sustainable and Florida has money. I think Alaska is the highest percentage of aircraft owners though

• Like 2

Matthew Kane

3 hours ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

I've started simming in Flordia because of the interesting weather. There are a lot of airports compared to other regions. Why? Especially if the weather can be so dangerous.

The weather isn't dangerous in Florida by comparison.  When a hurricane is near, you don't fly.  Sometimes between 11 am - 3 pm, you don't fly (pop up tstorms) but with modern tools like foreflight etc. you can often avoid these.  Icing at lower levels, typically not an issue.   Early morning flying in the tropics can often be the most stable airmass you're going to find.  That's why in, for example, Nicaragua, their regional airlines tend to fly very early in the morning, so that they are back in Managua by 10-11 am, before the airmass becomes unstable.  Florida also has -- generally speaking -- more predictable winds.  Miami Intl for example, has two runways pointing E-W for a reason.  Same with FLL, a big runway E-W.

Contrast that with where I am (Missouri) -- you can have a nice day (or night) but a thunderstorm or tornado can pop up whenever it feels like it.  You can get icing at lower levels which is highly dangerous.  Also more hills, more bumps.  In some parts of the state, open fields which can really be bumpy in summertime from convection.  Also, less predictable winds.

• Like 3

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

7 hours ago, W2DR said:

what you mean by "interesting" and "dangerous" weather.

It seems like there’s a lot rain and thunder in MSFS in the FL. I have live weather turned on. 🤔

A good number of those airports used to be military training fields.  Due to Florida's relatively nice weather all year, the USAAF and USN built a significant number of airfields in Florida before and during WW II.

Check out this list of former military airfields in Florida.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_World_War_II_Army_Airfields

• Like 3

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

6 hours ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

It seems like there’s a lot rain and thunder in MSFS in the FL. I have live weather turned on. 🤔

Given the track record of MSFS 2020, I wouldn't assume that the simulation of live weather works any better than the simulation of the autopilot. 🙂

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

The weather is nice today in southeast Florida. (MSFS has sun but is still providing thunder.) Looks like thunderstorms over the next few days though.  Anyway, Florida is a fun place to fly. 🤠

Are there other areas of the US with similar airport density?

14 minutes ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

Are there other areas of the US with similar airport density?

Alaska has282 public land based based airports, 114 public seaplane bases and 4 public heliports.

It also has 747 registered bush strips.

Noel

• Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

21 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

Money makes airports sustainable and Florida has money. I think Alaska is the highest percentage of aircraft owners though

More Beavers and Otters than you could ever count.

Bill W

• Upvote 1

A number of “private strips” were created in the 1980’s. The “Cocaine Cowboys” used them to fly Cocaine and weed up from Colombia. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2021 at 12:38 AM, carbonbasedlifeform said:

I can remember flying around these pop up rainshowers and storms, which sometimes are just a mile or so wide. Just have to be carefull about flying over the everglades, if your engine suddenly gets quiet.  I always flew over the highway, when crossing the glades. Didn't want to have to ditch into a place loaded with gators and snakes, and in 5 feet of water. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

On 8/6/2021 at 2:33 PM, BillW said:

More Beavers and Otters than you could ever count.

Bill W

When I was in Anchorage, I used to go down to Lake Hood  and watch the Beavers, Otters and other float planes take off and land, one after the other. Busiest float-plane base in the world. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310