Sign in to follow this  
PhilTaylor

PTaylor Blog update

Hi,I just posted a collection of my avsim posts. And a brief update about SP1. I hope you find the information useful, and lets please keep the discussion at a technical level.thanksPhil

Guest nels

Phil - thanks. A great fix for us addicts.Nels

I already posted this in your comments on the blog, but just in case you miss it...I registered to view the screenshots but it still won't let me see them saying access is denied. Otherwise, thanks a bunch for the update. EDIT: Nels beat me to it :)

I think I fixed this.It appears I used the links from the edit process and not the final links, sorry about that.

Thank you, Phil! Please do not get discouraged with all the fuzz and buzz in the forum here and keep up the great work!Pat

Big question here:Is this a terrain.cfg adjustment, or more?My understanding was that the sloped water rock in FSX was a FEATURE and not a BUG. It was to prevent water climbing up cliffs like we saw in FS2004.Looks like (you all) have adjusted the "cliffs" in the terrain.cfg file that appear on sloped water polys.This is fine with me, but it does raise the question...what about those areas where we had water climbing up cliffs? Will these now re-appear as they were in FS2004?As I recall, the issue was, if we go with rock texture on slopes, you will get rock in the Thames. On the other hand, if you go with water on the slopes, you'll get water climbing up the fjords at Bella Coola.Or have we found a compromise terrain.cfg setting?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

The content fixes in SP1 are an update to the data files and not simply a cfg change. The original issue wasnt solely due to the water sloper. We couldnt have fixed these issues without a data change, as you note. And the goal is to have these targeted fixes have no impact elsewhere. We think we are meeting that goal. Yes, this means FSX SP1 will have updated content files in the patch, that will get copied on top of the RTM content during SP1 setup.

great thanks phil!!hopefully some of the addon scenerys from fs9 will work in the game after the update. although i am curious to know what is going to be fixed to help performance

Guest abulaafia

will this be a problem for those who have installed 3rd party land-class and mesh already?

It should not be, since we are only replacing FSX bits. The 3rd party content lives "on top of" our bits, so the SP1 replacement bits "slide under" the 3rd party bits and life is good.

I'm glad it won't negatively affect those of us running cloud9 landclass or realsky type products because that was the first thing I thought of.Sounds like we are at best 2 months away from this patch which would put the dx10 patch sometime when? I thought the whole purpose of fsx was to be the flagship dx10 game for microsoft? It doesn't appear to me that it will be the first, second or even third dx10 game on the market unless you plan to have the patch out by summer. There are at least 3 other dx10 games that are slated for a fall release. I guess it doesn't much matter anyway with the current state of nvidia's vista drivers. Looks like you guys got a freebie on that one.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 @ 893Mhz | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 575/900 | Seagate 2x 320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup