Sign in to follow this  
BobP

Tips for getting back after minimize or windowing?

Guest dswo

When minimizing FS9, or switching between windowed and non-windowed view, freezes were not unknown. I found that minimizing (with the Windows key) usually was pretty clean, and sometimes if things did freeze I could go into display settings, set antialiasing on, go back to my flight, and all would be well again -- after which point I could set AA off again.None of this works with FSX. I am starting to dread switching out of it (say, because I forgot to turn on TrackIR), because it usually means restarting the flight if not the sim. Sometimes escape then "continue with flight" works, but not reliably.What works for you when this happens?

Ditto!Window mode only...the delay to open windowed dialogs (to load/save flight, adjust scenery settings, change AC etc) from the full screen is just too much. It also moves stuff I have on monitor 2. And doesn't give my any better performance. The ONLY exception is to get a screenshot I might want to use as a desktop image! Loyd

press the ESC key and select "continue flying" :-)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I too get nervous when switching out/in.I found Alt-Tabbing (properly alt-tabbing) does the job - rather than mouse clicking the minimised FSX.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

I can't get it to switch with any key combination. Escape then "exit the program" works but useless after an Alt-Tab attempt. I changed video cards from Radeon to Geforce with no relief. Wasn't there a release note (a known bug) concerning this from ACES?Bob...

Guest dswo

This one from Owen Miller is the one that ended up working best for me:"Seems as though you must always start FSX in windowed mode. To do that you have to exit FS in the windowed mode. It will start up in the next session in whichever mode you last exited, be it windowed or full screen. "Doing it this way I have been able to switch between applications realiably. I have exited in full sreen then reloaded FX and of course it came up in full screen. Even after switching to windowed I could not switch applications and return to FS. I had to be in windowed mode, exit FS, then restart (comes up windowed) before I could switch apps. "If you start in windowed I've found that I could switch apps even with FS in full screen. It's kinda scary because it acts like its going to hang up. Works for me anyway. Hope this helps."http://forums.flightsim.com/dc/dcboard.php..._id=19921#20394

I wonder why Microsoft does not fix this when it is a common problem? The policy seems to be to wait for as many problems as possible to be accumulated and then issue a composite set of repairs. In the meantime, the customer must suffer with the problem(s). Interesting profit/customer service position.Regards,Dick Boley

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

>I can't get it to switch with any key combination. Escape>then "exit the program" works but useless after an Alt-Tab>attempt. I changed video cards from Radeon to Geforce with no>relief. Wasn't there a release note (a known bug) concerning>this from ACES?>>Bob...>>The way I get it to go back is Alt-Enter not Alt-tab! Works every time! It will toggle between window and 3D mode!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I agree with Tom above.I used to have all kinds of problems but have had none since using alt+enter.I always run in full screen.Is there an advantage to window mode?I don't like the menu bars.Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Is 3D the same as full screen or am I missing something I should try?Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Here's a good tip, slightly different from those already mentioned.If you alt-tab out of FSX, then click it or try to alt-tab back in and it does not come back, don't give up. It isn't frozen. Simply click the FSX icon in your taskbar to "activate" it. It may look frozen since it doesn't come back. Even though it doesn't maximize back to full screen, it is still listening to keystrokes. Hit Alt-ENTER to put it into Window mode after you click it in the taskbar. It will become a window. Hit Alt-Enter again, and you're back to full screen!

Guest jonasbeaver

when I do stuff outside of fsx I alt-enter to make it temporarily a window and then alt-enter when I'm ready to play full time againbasically take-off/land fullscreen, and chat/surf/whatever in windowed mode during cruise...cheers!jonas

Another vote for windowed mode. Full screen is not only slower, but steals my second monitor to show nothing.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11