Sign in to follow this  
Krakin

Fenix A320 Dev Update 06 Aug 2021

32 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Read this article shared by 320Driver in the post above me: https://soarbywire.com/2021/08/07/fenix-a320-a-prosim-copycat-or-coincidence/

My guess is, Fenix has made some deal with Prosim.  Perhaps Prosim gets a cut from every Fenix A320 sold.  It’s a win win for Prosim because they make more money (why would Prosim refuse Fenix?)

BTW, If Matt from Working Title is guessing Fenix is using Prosim, and Aamir didn’t deny it after reading Matt’s post, that’s as best of an educated guess than we can make since Matt knows the SDK for MSFS, and the complexity of developing a high fidelity aircraft, better than any of us. 

Ok, thanks, I will check it out...

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

FWIW:

Fenix (Aamir) has just confirmed on their discord, that they "do indeed have a license with ProSim to utilise and modify elements of their simulation software".

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

No need to reinvent the wheel. As long as the Fenix devs fix the issues with ProSim (fonts, some logic) so that it matches the actual bus, all this means is they saved years of redundant coding.

• Like 5

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

On 8/6/2021 at 3:42 PM, Mike S KPDX said:

I have seen this type of comment a few times now.  But what are you talking about?? Prosim is fully developed standalone software package purchased on renewal fee basis.  Do you honestly believe that Fenix has the actual codebase, fee structure and agreements in place to use this for a one time low end purchase within MSFS??  Fenix is using separate program module that runs outside of MSFS, true... but they had to have developed this themselves.  It is not unheard of in our sim industry, FlightFactor does this same thing for Xplane.

To 'abrams_tank'

Specifically came back here to offer you humble apologies as this has actually been confirmed.  Thanks for your insight.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Mike S KPDX said:

To 'abrams_tank'

Specifically came back here to offer you humble apologies as this has actually been confirmed.  Thanks for your insight.

No worries. Honestly, I was originally a little skeptical that Fenix was using ProSim when Matt from Working Title guessed that they were. As much as I respect Matt from Working Title, and the fact that Matt knows way more than any of us about MSFS and about developing aircraft systems for MSFS, I was still skeptical.  What convinced me that Matt was right about ProSim was when Fenix said their A320 wasn't affected by SU5 as much as the other 3rd party planes.  

It's very possible that the Fenix A320 is perhaps the most high fidelity airliner ever created for a home market flight simulator (I guess we will see when it's released if it really is).  But assuming that the Fenix A320 is that high fidelity, it didn't make any sense to me that the Fenix A320 wasn't impacted that much by SU5. SU5 practically broke so many other 3rd party planes that were much lower fidelity than the Fenix A320.  So how can one of the most complex planes made for a home market flight simulator not be broken badly by SU5?

It was after the SU5 update and when Fenix claimed they weren't affected by the SU5 update as much as the other 3rd party dev planes, that Matt's guess that the Fenix A320 uses ProSim started to make sense.  My guess is, while the Fenix A320 still uses the MSFS SDK to communicate with MSFS, a lot of the other hard work is probably done by ProSim.  So I am guessing the Fenix A320 is not as tightly coupled to MSFS as the other 3rd party planes are, and this would explain how the Fenix A320 was not affected by SU5 as much.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

So how can one of the most complex planes made for a home market flight simulator not be broken badly by SU5?

I guess it's because Prosim works outside MSFS engine.

7 minutes ago, fmloyola said:

I guess it's because Prosim works outside MSFS engine.

Well, that was my whole point ... ...

6 minutes ago, fmloyola said:

Fenix had confirmed that. I will search and post here.

No need, the confirmation is 6 posts above your own.

• Like 3

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

6 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

No worries. Honestly, I was originally a little skeptical that Fenix was using ProSim when Matt from Working Title guessed that they were. As much as I respect Matt from Working Title, and the fact that Matt knows way more than any of us about MSFS and about developing aircraft systems for MSFS, I was still skeptical.  What convinced me that Matt was right about ProSim was when Fenix said their A320 wasn't affected by SU5 as much as the other 3rd party planes.  

It's very possible that the Fenix A320 is perhaps the most high fidelity airliner ever created for a home market flight simulator (I guess we will see when it's released if it really is).  But assuming that the Fenix A320 is that high fidelity, it didn't make any sense to me that the Fenix A320 wasn't impacted that much by SU5. SU5 practically broke so many other 3rd party planes that were much lower fidelity than the Fenix A320.  So how can one of the most complex planes made for a home market flight simulator not be broken badly by SU5?

It was after the SU5 update and when Fenix claimed they weren't affected by the SU5 update as much as the other 3rd party dev planes, that Matt's guess that the Fenix A320 uses ProSim started to make sense.  My guess is, while the Fenix A320 still uses the MSFS SDK to communicate with MSFS, a lot of the other hard work is probably done by ProSim.  So I am guessing the Fenix A320 is not as tightly coupled to MSFS as the other 3rd party planes are, and this would explain how the Fenix A320 was not affected by SU5 as much.

thanks, next up - a good contemporary battle tank simulator (hasn't been one in 15 years) 😉

Hello,

I wonder if it may be the 1st addon with yearly fee…because Prosim has a fixed price with yearly fees thereafter.

If there is a deal the addon is well maintained enough after the release, it may be acceptable to me.

It is just a thought of course.

Pierre

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pochi said:

Hello,

I wonder if it may be the 1st addon with yearly fee…because Prosim has a fixed price with yearly fees thereafter.

If there is a deal the addon is well maintained enough after the release, it may be acceptable to me.

It is just a thought of course.

Pierre

Fenix said in the agreement with ProSim, they have the rights to modify the ProSim code so ProSim likely gave them the source code.  I don't think people will be able to use the Fenix A320 as a standalone ProSim module because that's probably disabled by Fenix in their agreement, or ProSim didn't give Fenix all the code so that it can be used as a standalone ProSim module.  So I doubt there will be a yearly fee because you won't be able to substitute the Fenix A320 as a standalone ProSim module.

My guess is, ProSim may get a cut of every Fenix A320 sold.  And then if Fenix makes the A319 and A321, ProSim would get a cut out of each one Fenix sold too.

Edited by abrams_tank

When Aamir asked around for how much a study level sim would cost, he didn't mention anything about how much a yearly sub should cost.

It's all the evidence we have on the subject of cost, for now. (Unless @Aamirwants to explicitly shoot down the possibility of subs in this thread right now.)

The aircraft will be a one time purchase. We are not pursuing the subscription model. 

• Like 9

Aamir Thacker