Sign in to follow this  
Bill Womack

My REAL Complaint With FSX

Guest iwantmydc3

After several months with FSX, I have one big complaint. I have no issues with my frame rates, scenery, or any of that. I have a new system that runs FSX acceptably. MY problem is simply this:Most of the aircraft, especially the default ones, are pretty much unflyable. Their trim adjustmusts are out of whack, there's excess roll and yaw; I have to calibrate my joystick every session, which calms the controls down a bit as far as flying thru the air, but when it comes time for landing---all bets are off. I can be heading straight for the runway, on a perfect approach and descent, then when I'm about 4 miles or so out, it's like the airports begin sending out magnetic waves to repluse the airplane, suddently it wont stay on course, i've neve made a cetnerline landing yet after more than 100 hours. usually I say screw it and settle for landing on a taxiway, if i can even hit that.There was never this problem in FS9. Once my stick was calibrated once, that was it. Now in FSX, evidently my controller isn't up to the task, or is it something in the .cfg or .air files? I have a Saitek Cyborg EVO, a pretty good joystick and don't really have the money for a HOTAS or pedals right now, and who knows if they will make things any better? Anyway, that's my beef. Anyone else having the same issues?

There is for sure some problem here. One of the biggest improvements for me in fsx is that the planes finally land with the right feeling (no rails) -and finally trim without a continual hunting (pitch especially).One thing I have found-if you unplug a usb joystick for any reason-you go back to square one on the joystick setup with fsx. Could that be the problem?http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest iwantmydc3

Oh, great, lol. Well i'm glad it improved for YOU anyway :)No, my stick's been plugged in, and my machine's been running (with some retarts of course) since the computer went in service on 10/29/06. Oh well at least I have crash detection turned off....

Guest SoarPics

Now in FSX, evidently my controller isn't up to the taskIs there a chance that you could borrow a joystick to test the problem with different hardware than your own?

It's not the controller or anything else - Trust Me .......As one who learns from thier mistakes time to time - unfortunatly I doubt there's anything to be done to fix this situtation. The "sending out magnetic waves to repluse the airplane" is probally caused the program sensing your dislike of the product in its current form. Hopefully the SP1 will fix that up for you.However we could however turn this into another "FSX sucks" vs. "no it's not" post as it's baited to do ... but I would suggest leaving it alone. Larry probally still ###### at me from the go around with this post - and I'm still wondering if my VC Fps post helps any of you (albiet a bit) or not.Sorry I couldn't help you out ... this time.Garett

Guest wyoming

something related to that. I have a Saitek X52 and I must concur that the realism is way better with FSX. However, I noticed that using the Saitek software for programming and calibrating was somehow screwing things up. I think that FSX doesn't like external inputs very much (..!..)

Guest iwantmydc3

Well, no I don't thiok FSX sucks, in fact I like it a lot, except for the fact, that for some reason, landing, and flying without the autopilot, in most of the planes seems to be impossible for me when I never had those problems in FS2004 or 2002. WHen I have the money, I'll probably try different controllers, right now i'ts just not in my budget. I still enjoy the program a lot, I'd just like to be able to fly less like a seizure patient, and land on the runway now and then ;)

Guest iwantmydc3

Actually I dont use their software; the stick is just used through control panel with xp's drivers. I discovered when I first got the stick their software isn't good under XP

Guest cwright

I have absolutely no problem controlling aircraft in FSX (apart from the usual pilot error!)Just a thought. Microsoft finally reinstated mouse-as-yoke in FSX. Why not try flying with the mouse to see if the same problem occurs? It would certainly eliminate the joystick. Also, after a small amount of practice the mouse is surprisingly accurate and gives very fine control.Best regards, Chris

Guest Xiderpunk

I prefer landing in FSX to FS2004/FS2000, it somehow feels more realistic especially on crosswind landings. Real life landings can be a rather unsmooth ride, my local airport is surrounded by dense trees and this causes sudden sinking on final due to the cooler air in the shade of the trees. FSX however doesn't model this unfortunately but to me feels more natural in general.I wonder if there is another factor at play here, do you land regularly at the same airport? If so perhaps there is a thermal on final you are encountering? Perhaps try turning off turbulence effects and then do a few landings.p.s: I use CH Yoke + CH Pro Peddles with maximum sensitivity in FS and no deadzones. Calibrated with CH Control Manager, works a treat.

Odd I have the x52 also and have had great results with the software. I didn't use the config for 2004 but made my own programming using the software. My flights are now much more realistic. The one thing I have had to get use to with FSX though is now planes tend to try and turn into the wind on takeoff.

Saitek X-52 here. Using FSX & FS9 for control assignments.I'm in the trim is better, everything is better crowd as far as default aircraft are concerned.I just took the default Baron through a few touch and goes last evening because someone at FlightSim com. had complained that the default Baron was impossible to land. Apparently, pilot induced porpousing IMO, as I had no problem and straight on the centerline.L.Adamson

Saitek X52 convert here too. Although I do have the CH Yoke and Rudder Pedals. I use the Rudder Pedals in conjunction with the X52.I definitely see an improvement in the flight characteristics in FSX. Flying a Beech KA C90 the other day wowed me due to the way it was handling and the feedback I was getting.Turbulence was quite apparent, and the plane reacted to it in a manner that made it 'feel' right. Landing also seemed to be non-railistic :), a rather enjoyable improvement. I have had many oppurtunities to fly in real life, including flying with my father's charter company back in The Bahamas. With that experience in mind, FSX is quite an improvement IMHO.I just hope soon many more virtual pilots will be able to enjoy this sim more.[hr width=100%" size=1 color="black]http://forefrontgrp.com/MyLogo2.JPGJason | General Aviation Fan

Guest Grahame Myers

I'd advise you to check out FSUIPC from Pete dowson. It's payware, but it's the dogs danglers as far as interfacing with FS. Using it, you can calibrate your controls, and a million other things too. I've been using it for years, and IMHO it's a lot better than any of the manufacturer software I've ever tried over the years, be it from CH, Saitek or Logitech.You can ckeck it out as a trial version that only works when you start at KSEA, but that should show whether it'll solve your problem or not.You can get it here: http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.htmlSince I've been using it, I never use any software that comes with FS controls: I just install it using the default windows drivers, and then calibrate it using FSUIPCBtw, I have no connection whatsoever with Pete dowson, other than as a very satisfied customer. Hope this helpsBestGrahame Myers