Sign in to follow this  
Guest jmendes

Abysmal Perfomance of FSX in Vista

Guest FooFighter

HelloI just installed Vista Home Premium in a dual boot configuration and though that I would migrate my FSX to Vista.I uninstalled FSX from XP as I had problems two installations. So I installed FSX and deary me, what a mistake. It runs like a dog. it is basically a third of the performance I had in XP. My average framrate is now 7. Where I had about 21 before.Anybody have any Vista performance tips. I mean I know that early adopters normally suffer these kind og things, but I really thought that FSX was designed with Vista in mind. My Vista score is 4.8 due to my processor, everything else is 5.8 or 5.9Dell XPS 600Intel Pentium D 840 3.2GHz2 Gig RamnVidia 7800 GTX 256MB x 2 in SLI with 97.46 driversCreative X-Fi FatalityWD 10000 rpm Raptor 16MB 150GigAny advice?Thanks,Gian

Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

Clean install of Vista would be better... so would having more than one physical drive :)

Guest allcott

All Nvidia drivers for Vista are BETA. Try some different ones.Allcott

With a dual-boot he already has a clean install of Vista. And a second drive is no better for FSX performance than a separate partition of the existing drive. My bet is that it's a driver problem. Vista has been a little slower with FSX for many of who've tried it, but not by that much.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest FooFighter

Yep I have a clean install of Vista on a dedicated HDD, a WD Raptor 10000RPM.It could be driver related, I hope.Will play around with the display drivers.Thanks!!!Gian

Don't bother. Nvidia's drivers for vista for ALL their cards are an utter joke right now. I get half the performance with fs9 in vista and 2/3 the performance in fsx. Not worth it until nvidia gets off their can and delivers a working driver.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 @ 893Mhz | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 575/900 | Seagate 2x 320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Guest johngutt

The latest driver version 100.64 released on the 13th seems a vast improvement. I am getting 10 -12 fps flying through central London useing ultra-high settings in full screen mode. This may not sound much of an fps but stuttering has disappeared. That's with an Intel dual core extreme 6800 and an 8800GTS card.

Guest jmendes

I have a feeling it's related to your video driver. In some ways, I have a slower machine then you (my drives are 7200 RPM), and I'm getting 30 fps - 40 fps in the air, and 15 fps - 25 fps on the ground at airports with a fair amount of stuff turned on. (I can check my display settings when I get home from the office)I have: Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4Ghz), 2GB RAM (800Mhz 4-4-4-15), ASUS P5B Deluxe mother board, 2 Maxtor 300GB SATA drives (7200 RPM), VisionTek X1950 PCI-E video card (it's an ATI chip), Creative Audigy LS soundcard.I have a clean install of Windows Vista Home Premium. Only two apps on the machine FSX and Office 2007. When I first did my install everything worked great but frame rates we OK (about how they were under XP SP2, 15 - 25 range). This was with the newest ATI Vista drivers.I then switched to VisionTek's Vista driver (which I believe is older than the ATI driver, although the ATI drivers are supposed to work perfectly) and I saw a huge jump in fps.I can honestly say that everything in Vista and FSX is working better than ever - and I have a very clean machine.~ Jim

I am very confident that fsx will run smoothly in vista once the drivers catch up. I am certainly not blaming the OS as I know that 90% of the slowness is from nvidia's hack drivers. I am not so sure that fs9 will ever run smoothly in vista though and my performance is just plain abysmal with it compared to fsx which is bad enough with the current state of the drivers.

> With a dual-boot he already has a clean install of>Vista. And a second drive is no better for FSX performance>than a separate partition of the existing drive. My bet is>that it's a driver problem. Vista has been a little slower>with FSX for many of who've tried it, but not by that much.>>DougTwo hard drives is better than one hard driver.

Guest FooFighter

I think I am having a double whammy with drivers at the moment.The current nVidia drivers are not great at all and then I have the Beta Creative drivers for my soundcard.When I disabled my soundcard, performance seemed to have improved some as well.I just hope these two can get get decent drivers out soon.Cheers,Gian

Guest Buck Bolduc

>All Nvidia drivers for Vista are BETA. Try some different>ones.>>>AllcottNot trueI use:System board:Nforce_680a_SLIWinvista32_15.01_english_WHQL.exeVideo:97.46_forceware_winvista_x86_international_WHQL.exeYou do know what WHQL means?100.59_winvista_32bit_english.exe is a beta driver.So don't go saying ALL NVidia drivers are beta!

Unless it's a drunk driver in which case the hard drive could be the result of the screwdrivers.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

>>All Nvidia drivers for Vista are BETA. Try some different>>ones.>>>>>>Allcott>>Not true>I use:>System board:Nforce_680a_SLIWinvista32_15.01_english_WHQL.exe>>Video:97.46_forceware_winvista_x86_international_WHQL.exe>>You do know what WHQL means?>>100.59_winvista_32bit_english.exe is a beta driver.>>So don't go saying ALL NVidia drivers are beta!Regardless if the drivers are certified they are all beta, and that is giving them a compliment. I have a machine with a 7900gt that is using the 'certified' driver that can't even run any games because the driver is so bad. ALL of their vista drivers are crap regardless if they are listed as beta or certified. Do a little researching on the net and you will see. They are also being looked at for a class action suit because of this debacle. I would be running vista now as my primary OS if it weren't for the state of their drivers *mad*________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 @ 893Mhz | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 575/900 | Seagate 2x 320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Guest bjablonka

I installed Vista and have the 100.64 (latest beta) for the Geforce 8800 and I increased my performance from about 15 fps to 25-30 fps compared to my old XP system. The driver upgrade from the 100.55 version added about 5 fps. Very happy about the performance.