Sign in to follow this  
Guest jmendes

Abysmal Perfomance of FSX in Vista

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

If you use Microsoft SQL Server 2005, you will need SP2 (it just came out).

Guest iwantmydc3

I hate to say I told you so, butI TOLD YOU SO

>I hate to say I told you so, but>>>I TOLD YOU SOAgain with the Svengali I told you so post...Nobody knows what you are going on about and nobody remembers what someone with 100 posts was making premonitions over the failure of vista months in the past.Vista actually runs pretty good for me and so far I am pleasantly surprised. I was very apprehensive to run it on this machine due to all the trouble with the nvidia drivers I have experienced on my other box. The 8800 drivers have been rock solid for me and the x-fi drivers are only marginally annoying with some squeeks and crackles here and there. The only slight annoyances I have so far are with fsx and its random CTD's and the fact that my cpu runs 10C hotter which for me puts it right on the edge for max temps that I want to run. I am confident that fsx can be fixed and I will be no doubt upgrading to a new cpu within the year anyway so no worries. Vista is good as long as your hardware is supported. I can say without a doubt that anyone with nvidia based motherboards and video cards will most likely have issues with vista though. Bill Gates needs to be on the horn with those goons every day until it is fixed because they are making vista look bad when in fact from what I can tell it is pretty decent.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

>>I hate to say I told you so, but>>>>>>I TOLD YOU SO>>Again with the Svengali I told you so post...Nobody knows what>you are going on about and nobody remembers what someone with>100 posts was making premonitions over the failure of vista>months in the past.>>Vista actually runs pretty good for me and so far I am>pleasantly surprised. I was very apprehensive to run it on>this machine due to all the trouble with the nvidia drivers I>have experienced on my other box. The 8800 drivers have been>rock solid for me and the x-fi drivers are only marginally>annoying with some squeeks and crackles here and there. The>only slight annoyances I have so far are with fsx and its>random CTD's and the fact that my cpu runs 10C hotter which>for me puts it right on the edge for max temps that I want to>run. I am confident that fsx can be fixed and I will be no>doubt upgrading to a new cpu within the year anyway so no>worries. Vista is good as long as your hardware is supported.>I can say without a doubt that anyone with nvidia based>motherboards and video cards will most likely have issues with>vista though. Bill Gates needs to be on the horn with those>goons every day until it is fixed because they are making>vista look bad when in fact from what I can tell it is pretty>decent.>I'm not entirely clear on what he is referring to either. I've had no problem getting Visual Studio back up, with the SP1 and Vista beta upgrade. I haven't had time to test it extensively, but I just went and ran builds on a few of my projects without problems.Then I went and tried out DX10 some, and I must say, initially, I'm impressed. I had read about the changes, but it was very cool to see the code and witness them first hand. Of course, with the reference driver, they are right about "Seconds per Frame" instead of "Frames per second". I was particularly interested in the geometry shader effects, such as randomly growing vines out of the ground. I can visualize some great uses for that in games.I understand that there is a good deal of discontentment in regards to Vista, as some very vocal people have made clear on this forum. However, I have to question it somewhat, as I take things as I see them in front of me. So far, I have had no issues with performance, compatibility, fair use of my personal media, or activation. Things are running as smoothly if not more smoothly at parts, I personally think it looks great, and it's been a good experience. It's been difficult for me to substantiate the claims made here when placed in the context of my own experience.

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

There are little things that I love like when you click on a file name to rename it, it highlights only the filename, not the extension.The Start menu is better now, in that it doesn't fly out all over your desktop if you have a lot of shortcuts.The dialogs that come up when you are copying or moving a bunch of files (are you sure you want to move a system file?, etc.) are cleaner and less repetitive.I'm not so sure about Superfetch--it grinds like crazy for the first 3-4 minutes after booting. I know it is supposed to be using low priority disk IO, but it is have an effect on foreground applications. It must be learning, cause it doesn't seem to grind as much as it used to. Also, if I just leave my computer on all the time, it isn't a problem at all (though I do turn off Superfetch while flying in FSX).I actually prefer the Creative X-fi console...it is just a stripped down tabbed dialog box, not the bloated (though still useful) thing in XP. The drivers themselves could use some more work though. I'm building ASP.NET fine in Visual Studio 2005. Acronis 10 is doing backups just fine.

I'm going over to set up Vista Home Premium on my Mom's new computer this afternoon, so I'll have attempt two.I have this odd feeling that she'll want the "classic" theme (i.e. Win2000-esque).I chose this consistantly over the XP theme prior to Vista, but the Aero theme is just very smooth.I may need to take my whiteboard with me to help explain things.

Running fine here too and I find I like it overall after setting it up to my likes.I do have one wierd problem I can't figure out-if I try to fly in the San Diego area or the Jackson Hole area-I get an out of memory error.I do get a drop to the desktop in a rare occasion.I assume this is probably a nvdia driver problem (using 100.65).http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

>>>I hate to say I told you so, but>>>>>>>>>I TOLD YOU SO>>>>Again with the Svengali I told you so post...Nobody knows>what>>you are going on about and nobody remembers what someone>with>>100 posts was making premonitions over the failure of vista>>months in the past.>>>>Vista actually runs pretty good for me and so far I am.>>>>>I'm not entirely clear on what he is referring to either. >I've had no problem getting Visual Studio back up, with the>SP1 and Vista beta upgrade. I haven't had time to test it>extensively, but I just went and ran builds on a few of my>projects without problems.>>Then I went and tried out DX10 some, and I must say,>initially, I'm impressed. I had read about the changes, but>it was very cool to see the code and witness them first hand. >Of course, with the reference driver, they are right about>"Seconds per Frame" instead of "Frames per second". I was>particularly interested in the geometry shader effects, such>as randomly growing vines out of the ground. I can visualize>some great uses for that in games.>>I understand that there is a good deal of discontentment in>regards to Vista, as some very vocal people have made clear on>this forum. However, I have to question it somewhat, as I>take things as I see them in front of me. So far, I have had>no issues with performance, compatibility, fair use of my>personal media, or activation. Things are running as smoothly>if not more smoothly at parts, I personally think it looks>great, and it's been a good experience. It's been difficult>for me to substantiate the claims made here when placed in the>context of my own experience.Like yourself Brian, I installed the upgrade to Vista Ultimate the day it came on the market and I have not seen any problems associated with this O.S.In my case I was having CTD with XP and FSX since I purchased a new computer with duo core.No more crashes.Checking my score with Vista it indicates 5.1 which I believe 5 is the acceptable score in order to run all the bells and whistles with Vista.So far I am a very happy camper.Kenny G.>>

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

I sometimes get an out of memory error when I have the settings maxed. I hear the error sound (like brushing metal on metal). I then Alt-Esc to the desktop (FSX is still running but frozen). On the desktop I see the out of memory dialog. Before I click OK on it, I look at Task Manager and see I usually have 2-300 megs of free memory and there is usually 1-200 megs in the cache. Maybe Vista is not giving up the cache as fast as it should. I turned off Superfetch to try to fix this, but it still happens (though less frequently).I am going to try to find a way to empty the cache (or turn it off) and see if that helps.It could be the driver, too.You can try running MemStatus while the out of memory dialog is up to check how much video memory is in use (not sure it works in Vista, though)http://nuclearplayground.com/NuclearPlayground/

>Checking my score with Vista it indicates 5.1 which I believe>5 is the acceptable score in order to run all the bells and>whistles with Vista.>So far I am a very happy camper.>>Kenny G.You've got me beat. Although my top score is my RAM at a 5.9, my X800GTO drops my graphics score to a 5.0. But that should change when the R600 cards come out shortly.

Guest robains

Astrodave"The only slight annoyances I have so far are with fsx and its random CTD's and the fact that my cpu runs 10C hotter...""...x-fi drivers are only marginally annoying with some squeeks and crackles here and there..."JackDanielsDrinker"I'm not so sure about Superfetch--it grinds like crazy...(though I do turn off Superfetch while flying in FSX)."Geofa"I do have one wierd problem I can't figure out-if I try to fly in the San Diego area or the Jackson Hole area-I get an out of memory error. I do get a drop to the desktop in a rare occasion."I guess I don't understand why you folks would say all is good with Vista and then post the problems your having with it? I'm confused?Rob.

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

I will try San Diego. Do you start there or fly there? And do you have your settings hi, mid, low? VFR? Or with weather?

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

>JackDanielsDrinker>>"I'm not so sure about Superfetch--it grinds like>crazy...(though I do turn off Superfetch while flying in>FSX).">I guess I don't understand why you folks would say all is good>with Vista and then post the problems your having with it? >I'm confused?>>Rob.>Who said all is good? All is not good with any OS.I'd be confused, too, if I saw these selective quotes from my post. You left out 4-5 things I like with Vista. And you left out that I said Superfetch seems to be learning and not grinding as much as it used to.We're posting what we see. The good and the bad.