Sign in to follow this  
Guest jmendes

Abysmal Perfomance of FSX in Vista

Guys,Sound is actually a huge performance hit in Vista as well until drivers come out that do the Direct Sound emulation in hardware. Direct Sound no longer exists in Vista and the OS does a software emulation of it for older games that use it (OpenAL is the new API) which is a big CPU hit. Currently the only card that can do the emulation in hardware is the Creative X-Fi series with the beta ALchemy driver. Support for the other Creative Cards is supposed to come mid-March.From what I hear ATI's video drivers are actually ok in Vista, it's Nvidia's that are the problem right now. I can attest to this, I get pretty much half the FPS on any game in Vista right now versus XP.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

I tried to "install" Alchemy (I have an X-fi on Vista) into FSX... FSX is not one of the automatically supported games, so you have to do it manually.The manual instructions mention copying a dll and another file (dsound.dll) into the FSX program directory. There wasn't a dsound.dll file in there to begin with. So I didn't copy it in.Should I copy them anyway? How is it going to find the DLL if it wasn't expecting it in the first place.

Normally, on an XP system anyway, the DSOUND.DLL file would be in the Windowssystem32 directory (or someplace similar) and FSX finds the file in that location (well, technically the OS finds it there for us :-> ). By placing the ALchemy version of that DLL directly in the FSX program directory, FSX (or the OS if you prefer), will find the copy there before it goes and looks for the system version of the same DLL. So yes, it sounds like if you want the ALchemy stuff to work you will want to copy their version of this DLL into the FSX program directory (otherwise it will find Vista's version which is doing the software emulation thing).

Where is this special alchemy driver? I am just using the beta x-fi driver from creative and it works fine so far.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.40Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

>The link to the EagleSoft discussion of DEP wants a>userid/pw...can you provide another link?I quoted the relevant information in my post. I only provided the link to the original source for general information.There's nothing at that link beyond what was quoted here that's of any value to this issue. ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest gregaus

I am having exactly the same problem that you described. So far I have not been able to get any help in fixing this, probably because it is still early days. But the problem is doing my head in and I do believe it's most likely the beta driver. Either way, this really should not be happening. I upgraded to Vista Ultimate because of DirectX 10 as I believed that FSX was designed for this new o/s. Instead, within minutes (and sometimes seconds), I run out of memory despite having 4Gb of high end XMS2 RAM.

Guest robains

I think I did warn you and everyone. Vista is to be AVOIDED and apparently Vista IS being avoided:http://www.betanews.com/article/The_Vista_...Wash/1171917974http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;1933857354http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;7680622;fp;16;fpid;1Microsoft are hoping DX10 and that must have game(s) will eventually force the issue in the consumer market. I'm hoping we (the consumers) stay strong and get Microsoft to put a DX10 version on WinXP.Funny that Ballmer is blaming poor sales on pirates!! No Steve, poor sales because their is no value added features in Vista and it's expensive and it runs all existing software slower!So what is Microsoft's response, crank up anti-piracey -- classic!Where is Phil Taylor to the rescue? Someone to tell us how "hard" it is -- I bet it is hard when your CEO is so far remove from reality.Rob.

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

I tried it. Frame rates didn't change. But if it's using OpenAL now, I'm happy.

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

It's Ozzie's twin brother!(This message was authored on Vista...it took me 45 minutes to write it cause Vista is so slow.)

Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

Very good Rob.... way to chime in... and who cares.Anyways. To contribute positively here.... I upgraded from XP then spent a while cleaning out remnants of the old OS, cleaning up the registry etc etc etc.I can say that running a dual boot install is probably not in your best interest, unless Vista, its swapfile, and FSX are completely separated from the mess left over from any XP stuff.My FSX performance seems to be better than XP. It's not a case of XP vs Vista, its a case of Machine vs Machine. Some machines will like XP and FSX, while others will prefer Vista. It all comes down to the components and drivers your utilizing, and whether each are fully implemented in Vista as of yet, versus whether the implementation is fully compliant or a temp-fix as most vendors have chosen to produce (so far)If your machine isn't putting out, wait a while... drivers will eventually appear and I bet that sucker pumps iron!

Guest robains

Apparently Steve Ballmer Microsoft's CEO cares -- he believes all you evil doers have been pirating Vista (hence poor sales numbers) so you too can experience life in SLOW lane.Drivers to the rescue -- how many times have I heard this BS. New drivers contain Magic and other good speed enhancers that somehow overcome the CPU life sucking 3X number of services running in Vista.Please please do tell us how a vendor gets "non-compliant" drivers into Vista OS? Do they pay off Microsoft to get them certified without going thru normal certification process? Stop making stuff up -- if you don't know the process of device driver development, then don't say ANYTHING.And Ballmer wants to crank up "Genuine Advantage" which is another CPU cycle sucking "service" used to report and find more information about you and your software.If you want to contribute positively, stop being a a really excited user and report reality not fiction. You do NO ONE any benefit by telling them better drivers will save the day for FSX and Vista. Give me a break!Rob.