Sign in to follow this  
W2DR

Alterations In 'Task Manager'.

Guest delta

Has anyone tried and really got any benefit from altering settings in 'Task Manager' (ctrl+alt+del) with 2 Processors in the computer.Right-click fsx.exe and set the 'Priority' to 'Real Time'. Also set the Processor Affinity to 1 Processor only (fsx not written for 2 processors). Can one do harm by carrying this out? It has been said that by carrying out the above Frame Rates can be increased by a great deal. Thank you very much.Barrie.Dell XPS 600 P4 3.8 GHz 2 Processors. RAM 2048 MB. Graphic Card NVidia GeForce 6800 256 MB.

I wouldn't say "by a great deal" but there are some systems which do, indeed, give better performance when running either FS9 or FSX on a single instance of the processor. But, I would never set the priority Real Time as the chances are that no other needed services will contimue to run. But, nothing lost by trying either approach - or both. No harm will be done and you can always just resaet things or reboot to get it back the way it was before the changes were made.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest Buck Bolduc

Doug is right. I used to set the priority for Fraps to run on core 3-4.The new version of Fraps is multithreaded so no need.Thats just 1 example.I tried setting the priority of FSX with Vista 32 bit, bad, bad ,bad.FSX seems to have a memory problem. When flying the 744 from KORD to KJFK the sim simply stopped, still image! I went into task manager and the FSX sim was using 1.8 GB of memory. I have 2 gig in the machine.Maybe it's not releasing memory for tasks no longer in play?With fs9 and PMDG's 744 I could fly around the world 10 time if I could refuel in midair.I set the sliders way the heck up before taking off from KORD. With the sliders, some maxed out, the scenery and traffic were something else, excellent, detail like you read about. 35-40 (target 40) FPS all across the great lakes and upstate NY. Then out of memory. The small lakes and ponds looked like they had 60' sea swells, water settings don't seem to scale too well. That 2x (or whatever it was) setting may look fine at FL300 over the Atlantic?I'm going to clean off the Raptor 150GB and install Vista 64-bit on it and throw 2 more gig of matching memory into this machine. Just to check it out.

I tried using Real Time priority with FS9 using XP and a single- core PC. The result was that neither the keyboard or the mouse responded. I had to turn of the PC at the switch to close down. I think Real Time priority is only suitable for those applications that handle everything themselves.

I use a program called setaffinity to run the OS apps on a different cputhan FSX ..Don't know if it really makes a huge diff, but I figured one cpu has FSX all to itself....