Sign in to follow this  
Bosco19

Why the high GPU Temps?

I think that the answer is quite simple.
The MSFS2020 is not properly optimized for running DX11 versus DX12. I still don't understand why they developed the software using DX11 when is well known to overload the driver overhead and create more heat and especially when DX12 was launched as part of Windows10.
It really puzzles me and wonder about their programmers.
I have attached 2 pictures one of P3D after running for a long time with low GPU and CPU temps and no PC fans running crazy while the other at the same location with high GPU and CPU temps and fans going wild just after 10 minutes from the start.
I really hope that they will fix it.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

What I don't understand is why the vram usage is incredible low, even with higher settings.  My GTX 1080 ti shows like 4/11 GB at most.  Are others seeing similar results?

Yes. It's part of SU5. 

We are waiting for sliders to make use of our hardware without being limited by XBox memory constraints.

A.

37 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

Yeah temps...I wasn't prepared for the heat generated by my 3090. In the winter, yeah. Bring on the heat. But now. August in Texas. I literally only play high-end stuff in the mornings.

I had to redo my case fans and added a side dumper fan. My point? Just that these new cards are monsters and can generate a huge heat load. That's an additional cost with these cards I didn't really consider.

At 4k and locked at 60 (never seen 60 but it tries) and mostly on ultra settings, I generally saw a GPU temp of 80-83 in the previous version, but much less in this new version. Don't have a number (don't remember) but I DO remember it was much less.

LOL! That's why, even if I could even get that card right now I think I would settle on a 2080 Ti instead. My spouse already complains about my fan noise at times. There's the ideal - and then there's the practical. All depends upon your situation I guess.

Intel i7-11700K@3.60 GHZ. 32 GB RTX 4070 Ti OC

44 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

Yeah temps...I wasn't prepared for the heat generated by my 3090. In the winter, yeah. Bring on the heat. But now. August in Texas. I literally only play high-end stuff in the mornings.

I had to redo my case fans and added a side dumper fan. My point? Just that these new cards are monsters and can generate a huge heat load. That's an additional cost with these cards I didn't really consider.

At 4k and locked at 60 (never seen 60 but it tries) and mostly on ultra settings, I generally saw a GPU temp of 80-83 in the previous version, but much less in this new version. Don't have a number (don't remember) but I DO remember it was much less.

It is even worse - Dell/Alienware (among others) is now refusing to ship 'high end gaming' rigs to many states, due to power consumption regulations, that were specifically designed not to include high end computers.

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

As @Moria15 mentioned - your settings in MSFS are not used in the "menu" - state.

Not only MSFS, the game New World eg. bricked a lot of GPU´s before the patch. Reason - no limiter in FPS in the menu. GPU´s (all kinds) where running with insane FPS and burnt out.

To avoid something like this:

NVidia - Control panel - TAB Global - Manage 3D settings - enable Max Frame Rate (ON) and set max. FPS - apply. TAB Global is for all Windows application / TAB Program Settings is for individual apps.

AMD - Radeon Software - Graphics - enable Radeon Chill and than you can adjust min. and max FPS. This is for Global (all windows application).

Not only for MSFS - I can highly recommend to limit the FPS in Windows.

More FPS that your monitor can handle are more or less useless and use more energy with the result - produce more heat than needed.

Best regards

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

What I don't understand is why the vram usage is incredible low, even with higher settings.  My GTX 1080 ti shows like 4/11 GB at most.  Are others seeing similar results?

That's what they have to do! Optimize VRAM usage. We should need be seeing limited buildings and tree crawling and be on such low VRAM usage.

The Main Menu has the fully rendered hangar/plane behind it and it is that which loads the graphics card.

CJ

• Like 1

3080 here. I simply undervolted it in MSI afterburner.  was running 74C+ now around 65/67C max.  Performance is within 1%. 

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

On 8/8/2021 at 7:24 AM, stratone said:

As @Moria15 mentioned - your settings in MSFS are not used in the "menu" - state.

Not only MSFS, the game New World eg. bricked a lot of GPU´s before the patch. Reason - no limiter in FPS in the menu. GPU´s (all kinds) where running with insane FPS and burnt out.

To avoid something like this:

NVidia - Control panel - TAB Global - Manage 3D settings - enable Max Frame Rate (ON) and set max. FPS - apply. TAB Global is for all Windows application / TAB Program Settings is for individual apps.

AMD - Radeon Software - Graphics - enable Radeon Chill and than you can adjust min. and max FPS. This is for Global (all windows application).

Not only for MSFS - I can highly recommend to limit the FPS in Windows.

More FPS that your monitor can handle are more or less useless and use more energy with the result - produce more heat than needed.

Best regards

Thanks stratone, I wasted a day on the MSFS forum trying to find an answer to this issue. I should have come to Avsim first. Limiting fps to 30 in Nvidia Control Panel totally tamed the excessive GPU use in the menus. Could be my imagination but it seems to load quicker too.

It was putting me off running MSFS. Now it runs cool, smooth and above all quietly. 👍

ki9cAAb.jpg

Yes this is a known issue that was supposed to have been fixed a few updates ago but no such luck so far.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

So its now 07/02/22...

Is there still no fix for this?

I've just installed the sim and experiencing the same thing. 3090 running at 75 degrees just in the menus and 12900K running at 60 degrees... with the expected fan noise.

When my controller arrives in a few days I guess I'll try limiting frame rate in the menus and then back to my favoured frame rate in game. But for gods sake, if they still haven't fixed this they need their bums kicking surely. 

Edited by martin-w

On 8/7/2021 at 9:21 AM, RobJC said:

No idea but you’ll want to cap FPS to something like 60 if you haven’t already. High FPS = high heat. 

I have it capped at 30 in game but the menus drive the FPS up to several hundred?

Chris Camp

I'll assume that you guys realize that the changes you set within your GPU's driver applet will override any in-game menu settings you have.

So, if you cap your frames in the GPU driver applet then the in-game setting will no longer apply.

Some of you seem to be confused about this and are using 2 different settings, so I just thought I'd chime in about that. Once the driver applet is set to limit frames, it will no longer matter what your in-game setting is because the driver setting will always override an in-game setting.

My question about all this is, what can be done to limit the gpu while in the msfs main menu, for those of us who don't want to cap our frames during flight?

**PS - I noticed I'll save about 5 degrees celcius by staying in the world map and zoomed all the way in over water. So for those who want to grab a quick sandwich without shutting down the sim...this seems to be the best spot while in the menu system.

Edited by hangar

On 8/7/2021 at 3:11 PM, LRBS said:
I think that the answer is quite simple.
The MSFS2020 is not properly optimized for running DX11 versus DX12. I still don't understand why they developed the software using DX11 when is well known to overload the driver overhead and create more heat and especially when DX12 was launched as part of Windows10.
It really puzzles me and wonder about their programmers.
I have attached 2 pictures one of P3D after running for a long time with low GPU and CPU temps and no PC fans running crazy while the other at the same location with high GPU and CPU temps and fans going wild just after 10 minutes from the start.
I really hope that they will fix it.

stop it. Thermal is physical issue on how much  TDP you can dissipate in your case. This has nothing to do with software.  If you temp increase it means your case in unable to exhaust and dissipate the heat fast enough. So check your air flow, redo  thermal paste etc.... Stop blaming MSFS for your issue.

• Upvote 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.