Sign in to follow this  
GHarrall

FSX in Top 100 games of 2006

>>Makes no difference how real they make the flight model if it>runs at 15FPS.>Very true, and I wouldn't bother at 15 fps either. But I run mine at 25 fps. Still have done no tweaking. None dual core -- Athlon 64 3800+/2GIG/Geforce 7600GS 256MB/1600*1200*32 res.L.Adamson

That is very true. Luckily I run from 20-35 fps and only get the 15 while taxiing at a high density airport on my 3 year old computer. I got less fps with a typical commercial high density airport add on in fs9 for the record on this system-of course fsx has most of them included .By the way since you are working on your ppl-another big fix for fsx is trim. I had stopped using fs9 because of the erratic trimming qualities in pitch(actually impossible to trim)-the fm felt more like a boat bobbing around than a plane-and holding altitude precisely was impossible without the autopilot. Now it is possible to do so manually and there is a feeling of flight vs. a boat in the air-and on rails when landing. That is the main reason I deleted fs9-even with all the good scenery add ons I had and I had them all-the feeling of flight left me dissapointed. As for beta testing-I also did fs9, fs2002, Pro Pilot, and Fly. Your point is? We all know beta testers get paid greatly for their troubles....I abandoned the MS series from 1995 to 2000 as I didn't feel it was up to snuff. I however didn't visit Ms flight sim boards with regularity and keep trying to convince folks that they shouldn't enjoy a sim that they were obviously enjoying but moved to the one that I enjoyed. :-beerchughttp://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

>That is very true. Luckily I run from 20-35 fps and only get>the 15 while taxiing at a high density airport on my 3 year>old computer. I got less fps with a typical commercial high>density airport add on in fs9 for the record on this system-of>course fsx has most of them included .>>By the way since you are working on your ppl-another big fix>for fsx is trim. I had stopped using fs9 because of the>erratic trimming qualities in pitch(actually impossible to>trim)-the fm felt more like a boat bobbing around than a>plane-and holding altitude precisely was impossible without>the autopilot. Now it is possible to do so manually and there>is a feeling of flight vs. a boat in the air-and on rails when>landing. That is the main reason I deleted fs9-even with all>the good scenery add ons I had and I had them all-the feeling>of flight left me dissapointed. >I've kept FS9 because I like my collection of earlier era aircraft, and some of the addon airports. I've also added a few 3rd airports aircraft to FS9 since getting FSX.Yet, I don't have these improved flight characteristics while using FS9, and it's extremely noticeable! But it's obvious, that many don't know the difference, wouldn't know what the difference is, and therefor don't care. :-hah And yes, the "trim" is a big time improvement! L.Adamson

>>>>I also paid for this product. I pay<<>>>>Just out of curiosity, why didn't you take it back and get>>your money back?>>>>Jeff>>Get my money back for a product I broke the seal and used?>Don't think so. MS has made it VERY clear that they'll refund the purchase price for FSX to anyone who applies.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>If you guys were involved in Beta testing FSX then it explains>a lot!>>Maybe you didn't have your spectacles on during the testing?>It seems the only way you could have missed the terrible>performance and multitude of bugs.Just for the record and as a point of comparison......the beta team generated over 80,000 "bug reports" during the testing cycle, most of which were (obviously) fixed prior to release. This was reportedly a much higher number of reports that any previous version's beta test cycle.Howver, that said, the beta team had absolutely zero input into which reported bugs got fixed. That wasn't their task.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

L.Adamson maintains that FS9 'runs on rails'. With>AS6.5, clearly it doesn't. No, it's FS98 that runs on rails. IMO, running on rails is straight and level flight, with little pilot imput. Almost as if a auto-pilot was in use. FSX adds a much improved sense of changing airmasses such as turbulence and up/down drafts.Since many have compared FSX to FS2000, I made notice of the fact that FS98 ran on rails, while FS2000 changed all that. By default, the sense of airmass in FS9 is rather static, except for a few bumps of simulated turbulence. With FSX, it's a combination of airmass and 3D cockpit movement that add's to the simulation. It's default, and no extra charge.L.adamson

Guest Len

>>>>>I also paid for this product. I pay<<>>>>>>Just out of curiosity, why didn't you take it back and get>>>your money back?>>>>>>Jeff>>>>Get my money back for a product I broke the seal and used?>>Don't think so. >>MS has made it VERY clear that they'll refund the purchase>price for FSX to anyone who applies.I'll see what they come up with in terms of the 'patch'. If nothing, then it may be time to finish my long term use of the series and hope for better developers.

"By the way since you are working on your ppl-another big fix for fsx is trim"Have to agree with you there.The only aircraft I find trims anything like in FS9 is the Dreamfleet A36 and the F1 C172. (I'm sure there are others)Even the default aircraft seem better in this regard in FSX.Chalk up a point for FSX.........:(Don't get me wrong, I think FSX could be great, with emphasis on 'could'.If SP1 addresses my performance concerns then I will happily eat humble pie.I do feel though that had it not been for the vocally unimpressed we may not even be seeing an SP1.........Regards,Glenn

FSX looks pretty, no question. But at 15-18 FPS, I'll stick with FS9+UT+GE+AS6.5 at 30FPS thanks.Glenn! In what conditions do you see frame rates like this? On my system I get much higher frames everywhere but the most dense portions of FSX, like JFK in New York which I get around 15. I can get much higher of I turn down my UT traffic file. Everywhere else I get frames in the high twnties and thirties. I have a similar system to yours, You have an E6400 OC'd to 2.66ghz mine is a E6700 also at 2.66 (Not OC'd) the only other difference is I have ATI X1950 cards to your X1900. Take a look at my Seattle and Las Vegas shots above, what do you see in this area? I have a theory of why some see good performance while others do not. A while back someone posted that they saw a signifcant increase in performance after they had to reinstall and applied MS's activation registry fix (resetsldl) It was right around that time I started to see a performance boost, and first attributed it to a change I made to the display.cfg file which was later shown to be a placebo effect, as I also had to reinstall FSX at that time. Others at that time too reported an increase after a reinstall. I have a theory, that because of the registry problem, some how it's affecting performance.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest Big Vern

There are so many "FSX has problems" type threads, it's difficult to know which one to respond to!Yes it certainly does and we can only hope the patch and for those of us who choose to upgrade, Vista and DX10, will change some of that.However it's not the only disappointing piece of software released recently.Sid Meier's "Railroads" promised to take RRT3 to a new level but is bugged and unfinished - you can't even delete track you've laid.Battlestations Midway is a disappointing arcade conversion with a single player "campaign" that consists of a mammoth 12 pre-scripted missions, the outcome of which does nothing to change the next.I do have high hopes for Test Drive Unlimited but am keeping an open mind.In the meantime, now I've got my Aerosim L1011 working in FSX I might start doing a bit more with it, so long as it doesn't CTD or BSOD on me...