Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Sporty's Pilot Shop...

Any of you that get Sporty's catalog will notice an MSFS2020 screenshot on the cover of an aircraft over Jackson Lake with the Tetons in the background.  Sporty's is big on flight simulation the first 21 pages of the catalog is devoted t flight simming.  I think they are selling almost all of low to moderately priced yokes, sticks, and throttles.

The cover screenshot is a magnificent rendition of Jackson Hole.  But P3Dv5 ain't that bad either.  And for me the difference isn't worth the price of MSFS2020 and a new computer to run it.  This morning I took the following screen shot of my Kodiak in roughly the same area over Jackson Lake.  The only scenery enhancement is Orbx landclass for North America.  No mesh.

Noel 

Image_210807_095414.jpg

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

The thing to do is to make your own Ortho scenery (FSET) for P3d, you won't even think about MSFS after that.

1 hour ago, philmurfin said:

The thing to do is to make your own Ortho scenery (FSET) for P3d, you won't even think about MSFS after that.

That takes a skill I don't have.  I can hardly customize a panel anymore.  Back in the early says of FS2004 and earlier I was pretty good at designing scenery.  But now I've lost it.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Hello Noel,

No skill required,

Download the program, yes to me they are still programs and not apps..

Choose a provider, I always use Google Earth but it's up to you

Draw a box around the area you want, keep it small or it takes ages.

Decide on the zoom level, again keep it small or it takes ages, say 1 or 2, 1 takes 4 times longer than 2 but there's a good payoff.

Press start then go and do something else.

Finally, are you the Noel with all the lovely stories?

Very Best....  Phil

image.png.af4e6deb4dd9ce45effbd180f9960d4d.png

3 hours ago, birdguy said:

And for me the difference isn't worth the price of MSFS2020 and a new computer to run it. 

And so then you will not enjoy the great I69 airport scenery that Sporty's has created and made available as freeware.....  That's Sporty's facility off the left wing.  I was surprised that it did not include N702SP.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Yes Phil, I am the Noel that writes the stories.

Ben, I've survived 87 years without I69 and Sporty's facility.  I think I can survive  few more.  I ordered a headset from them once when I was still flying twenty or so years ago and I still get the catalogs.

Noel

• Like 1

"Yes Phil, I am the Noel that writes the stories."

Excellent!

Noel. if you fancy giving FSET a try, then any probs feel free to PM me, please.

I'm no expert but it's quite simple.

2 hours ago, philmurfin said:

Download the program, yes to me they are still programs and not apps..

philmurfin,

Could you please give us a link to that programme (yes, I still spell it the old way too LOL)

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Hello Tony,

This is the latest email that I received from them.

Right down at the bottom is the address...

Best....  Phil

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted in FSX | FSX-SE Scenery Design Forum -

Updated FSEarthTiles V1.1

I have updated FSEarthTiles from the current version 1.03B to 1.1. It now supports automatic water masks creation as well as autogen creation utilizing Scenproc.

Users of FSET may know that FSET is also able to create night and season masks automatically.

This builds upon HB-100’s original FSET.

It couldn’t have been possible without his original work.

Also, much thanks to all my beta testers.

Here is where to get it:

https://github.com/stackTom/FSEarthTiles

• Like 1

philmurfin,

Thank you so very much for that and I have now downloaded ... looks very complicated with no documentation that I can find. However, I have just had a very quick look at it for the moment.

Tony

Found some documentation and plowing through that at the moment. it remains confusing at this stage though.

Edited by himmelhorse
new paragraph.

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.