Sign in to follow this  
Guest yarvelling

SP1 update on Phil's blog

Ah man, ya beat me to it! I read this four hours ago but just got around to the AVSIM forums to read/post... ;)Great comparison screenshot posted there!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Ozzie

Sorry too much - but I fail to see why any of this is GOOD NEWS To me it is just a great guy doing what he is being PAID heaps of money for - to try and pacify the masses with Male Bovine Excrement to cover the fact that Redmond has made their most gigantic STUFFUP's yet in order to get Vista onto as many machines as they can Why does anyone think that FSX came out BEFORE Xmas? - Along with all the associated Hype about how MUCH better it would "run" under Vista - Phil Taylor has admitted that, that is NOT the case Then of course there are the usual "excuses" why DX10 cannot run under anything other than Vista - IMHO - that is just a bigger dose of BS - think about it - they have not been able to get the original Longhorn working at all to what was proposed and this Vista garbage is just yet another attempt to SMOTHER ALL COMPETITION One should ask themselves - just why would there be all of a sudden 4 separate posts on the same day if it were NOT to put out a few spot fires that are interferring with the Marketing Plan?Coincidence - ????? - Maybe????? - Maybe NOT!

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

The men in the white coats are coming. Just do what they say.

Guest Ozzie

>The men in the white coats are coming. Just do what they>say.YES SIR - please pass the bottle

>One should ask themselves - just why would there be all of a>sudden 4 separate posts on the same day if it were NOT to put>out a few spot fires that are interferring with the Marketing>Plan?>>Well, hypothetically, following your advice and asking myself that question would invariably lead to the sudden and enlightening realization that he was merely reposting comments made here over a wide period of time to avoid having to re-answer the same questions over and over again.While I think it is generally a decent idea, it certainly doesn't avoid the issue making itself very obvious here, that some people just aren't going to read or believe what he has to say.

Guest yarvelling

Good Grief!Why can't some people here be happy that Phil and the Aces team are doing what they can to fix some of the more obvious bugs in FSX?What's wrong with expressing a little gratitude, and saying "Thanks" instead of treating the blogs with derision?I am very happy to see the progress that Phil kindly takes the time to discuss openly.Thank you Phil/Aces.....

Guest Funky D

I guess no one can remember a few years ago, when MS had no presence on this board and very few updates to the public. Now the Aces team regularly extends a hand to the community and people scoff at it.MS employees aren't paid to give updates to the public, they're paid to write software. We should be thankful the devs actually listen to the community and keep us in the loop.

Guest Len

The biggest disappointment is his comments related to Windows XP and DX10.

Guest Logan826

"For instance, we are not fixing the landclass issues. It is too big and systemic." This is like saying...."Sorry Mr Smith, we put the wrong radio in your car, but we aren't going to fix the problem even though you paid full price for a CD player, your stuck with the am/fm indash. The whole thing that upsets me is we paid full price for a product that wasn't right out of the box, now we're just getting minor fixes and supposed to live with it. Dan

In my opin the landclass is good enough. Let 3rd party do tweaks.The problem is, programming landclass by hand is very tedious and time consuming. Microsoft did not in essence hand-make the landclass. It was processed from a dataset. That's the only PRACTICAL way to code landclass for the entire planet. Think about how big that is! 1.2 x 1.2 km squares *each* over the whole planet. Land and water.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>Sorry too much - but I fail to see why any of this is GOOD>NEWS >>To me it is just a great guy doing what he is being PAID heaps>of money for - to try and pacify the masses with Male Bovine>Excrement to cover the fact that Redmond has made their most>gigantic STUFFUP's yet in order to get Vista onto as many>machines as they can >>Why does anyone think that FSX came out BEFORE Xmas? - Along>with all the associated Hype about how MUCH better it would>"run" under Vista - Phil Taylor has admitted that, that is NOT>the case >>Then of course there are the usual "excuses" why DX10 cannot>run under anything other than Vista - IMHO - that is just a>bigger dose of BS - think about it - they have not been able>to get the original Longhorn working at all to what was>proposed and this Vista garbage is just yet another attempt to>SMOTHER ALL COMPETITION >>One should ask themselves - just why would there be all of a>sudden 4 separate posts on the same day if it were NOT to put>out a few spot fires that are interferring with the Marketing>Plan?>>Coincidence - ????? - Maybe????? - Maybe NOT!>Wow... you really have no idea about the fundamental changes to DirectX with version 10. It really would be quite impossible for MS to release a version 10 for Win XP without a total rewrite of the base kernel OS.I realize you're a very, very angry person... but... might I suggest you stop making accusations without foundation? You won't look quite so foolish. :)

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I don't understand how the other really high end games can do multi-threading and use multiple core tech in their latest games and Microsoft can't. I have a son that is an engineer for intel and they write apps and have been teaching for some time how to write so that the software recognizes the computer resources and adjusts to use all the resources. At least this is my best understanding of what he told me.lfishe

Nothing in life is easy Phil. But I am sure we don't have to tell you that :) Besides, Carmack is pretty much a nobody in the field of games these days. Don't get me wrong, as people still respect him for what he accomplished in the heyday and for revolutionizing the pc gaming industry, but his engines and technology are wayyy out of date and have been for a while now. Doom3 was basically obsolete the day it was released which is why it garnered such lackluster reviews from the gaming community and basically nobody plays or ever really did play doom3 or quake4 for the most part. Pretty much every game they made after Quake1 was crap and I say this as a player that was on the doom2 team and Q1 clan that came in 2nd to Thresh's team in the early to mid 90's in the national tournaments. Using him as an example on how to code a modern game engine is probably not the best example.