Sign in to follow this  
Guest yarvelling

SP1 update on Phil's blog

>>One should ask themselves - just why would there be all of a>sudden 4 separate posts on the same day if it were NOT to put>out a few spot fires that are interferring with the Marketing>Plan?>>Coincidence - ????? - Maybe????? - Maybe NOT!>Ozzie...come on. If he posts nothing, the black helicopter FUD crowd asks "why are they being so secretive?" So Phil gives you multiple posts in one day to try and provide some information and you make it sound like a conspiracy. Maybe you could just think of it as a Valentines Day gift. :-)#####? No good deed goes unpunished, and the paranoia is really getting old.

>I guess no one can remember a few years ago, when MS had no>presence on this board and very few updates to the public. >Now the Aces team regularly extends a hand to the community>and people scoff at it.>>MS employees aren't paid to give updates to the public,>they're paid to write software. We should be thankful the>devs actually listen to the community and keep us in the>loop.but look at all the presence they had during the FSX development and look what we got out of it?

>To me it is just a great guy doing what he is being PAID heaps>of money for - to try and pacify the masses with Male Bovine>Excrement to cover the fact that Redmond has made their most>gigantic STUFFUP's yet in order to get Vista onto as many>machines as they can Wrong! The folks at ACES who post here and maintain blogs do it on their own time out of their own kindness...You come in here with your guns blazing like some kind of illiterate urban cowboy.You need to be shown the door.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ozzie-I point you also to this read from 1999:http://www.avsim.com/pages/1099/guest/guest.shtmlNotice the "Before xmas" was mentioned along with "beta testing" and all those other good non original but often repeated mantras we see with every new release of a sim-and those sims were not even "shock" put out by Microsoft-but smaller companies trying to compete with it..http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Do you realy believe that the freely available USGS landclass dataset has large parts of the US classified as dessert? Of course not the data is a bit rough but it isn't wrong in qualifying.What I see released in the SP1 status update is some mesh updates by the data team (in selected places they state they can't do everything) and a fix for the twighlight bug.Thats nice but not overly impressive when you consider that 3rd party or freeware developers with the right geodata tools can make those mesh fixes since day one. Just take the river vector data and flatten the mesh spikes on the rivers. Nothing in that kind of fix touches the FS-X exe its just a small data update in a small place in the gameworld.So the big news is the twighlight bug is gone..... Lets wait and see if we get actual big perfomance increases in SP1 and if they fix the Duo Core memory leak described by some developers. Maybe they could also confirm that they know of that bug. That would be a nice gesture.Wel lets see what news the first week of march will bring us. Small tip Phil don't be late. 'Beware the Ides of March' ;-)

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Guest SimDog

Will these fixes be included:SimConnect, Weather, Alt-Tab Key hanging, aircraft lighting in general, total fuel not calculated on fuel page, airport vehicles sinking into the ground, airport vehicles hopping while stationary, on the Airbus clicking VORD changes writing to CSTR, strobe and navigation still display in 2d mode when panel is removed, airport beacon disappears when ten miles from the airport. Just a few I've seen in the forum.SD

Guest BravoTango

I feel sorry for you Ozzie. Your blinded by your own sense of importance. That you so often have to come on here to beat down anyone trying to say something decent or heaven forbid say something good about your arch nemesis Microsoft.Every single comment you have made recently has been rude, erosive to this community, and show a complete lack of respect for Avsim, it's members, Microsoft, ACES, even to the point of personal attacks on members of the ACES team.I would hope eventually you get tired of your rants, and give up coming here. I for for one would say good ridance. I personally use FSX, yes it has a few problems, yes its not the perfect simulator, but it has very good redeeming qualities. You can see the effort and time that went into improving the product, and taking it that next step forward in its life. But with respect to the few problems it has, rather than LIKE YOU, coming in here with your guns blazing, LOOK AT ME, I HATE MICROOSFT rants, wouldn't it be more constructive not only to the ACES team, but to this very community to offer straightforward constructive criticism? Or, god forbid actually offer up some help? Why must you come in here spewing, in your own words 'Male Bovine Excrement' for all to see? It's obvious Microsft must have hurt you personally to feel the way you do. They must have seriously caused you pain, in that you were forced to buy their products. You have so much choice, FlightGear, X-Plane, the FLy! series, why come here with your outrageous comments and holyer than thou attitude?Please, I ask you, leave, go away, find something else that meets your exceedingly rediculous standards, and leave us to enjoy and work with our new Sim. Perhaps Linux or MAC OSX might suite you better, see how much of a choice you have there.Jay

>Do you realy believe that the freely available USGS landclass>dataset has large parts of the US classified as dessert? Well of course not. What makes you think that I do? Boshar you do realize that the desert thing is NOT a landclass issue at all. It is a texture issue.All you are seeing is the winter grass texture.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Here is holger S.'s and others lengthy discussion of the desert thing:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...&mesg_id#359954RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

So they wil not replace a single wrong texture in a quick fix to make everyone happy?

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

>So they wil not replace a single wrong texture in a quick fix>to make everyone happy?It's not a "single wrong texture" at all; more like THOUSANDS of textures!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest SilverCircle

>The biggest disappointment is his comments related to Windows>XP and DX10.Why? It was always clear that DX10 won't come for XP. Phil even explains it with some tech details and it sounds reasonable. You just cannot rewrite large parts of an OS kernel (which is meant to be in a "stable" state) only to support some features (well, of course, you can, but no serious developer or development team would ever do it).People who think that it would be easy to "port" DX10 to XP by just recompiling the API libraries have no clue what they are talking about and are just plain wrong (Phil says this with a bit more politeness, but since I'am in no way official, I just don't need to care :) ).

DX10 is planned for the wine (linux emulation of the windows api), for the Vista, XP & Win2000 implementations.There is nothing specific to DX10 that "requires" Vista. Vista is little more than a new skin for XP, but with a ton of HD/DRM stuff thrown in.* Orest

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com