Sign in to follow this  
Guest bkelli

STONEHENGE IN FSX

Guest bkelli

Just for fun, I went looking for the Stonehenge monument in southern England. I found it near the Bascombe Down airport (EGDM). The grid coordinates are: N 51 10.67 W 1 49.89Look between two roads that meet to form a "Y" intersection.screenshot attached.

I'm calling the civil aviation authority on you! You are too low! :)Nice shot, I'll have to zip over there sometime.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Cool! The problem with finding these things is that they never appear until you are right on them, and I mean RIGHT on them. I must have flown within 1/4 mile of Mount Rushmore and never spotted it because the rock never drew in the Presidents' faces until I was right up on it. Same thing with the Hollywood sign. I knew I had to be right near it but it never filled in until I was right next to it. You just can't see these things from miles out unfortunately.

>Just for fun, I went looking for the Stonehenge monument in>southern England. I found it near the Bascombe Down airport>(EGDM). The grid coordinates are: N 51 10.67 W 1 49.89>Look between two roads that meet to form a "Y" intersection.>screenshot attached.Yeah, it's just off the A303. The airport is Boscombe Down, by the way.And good to see it's as underwhelming in FSX as it is in real life :D

Guest Tingoose

I agree. Stonhenge in real life is a tad overhyped. And it has a 24hr guard. . . .?!!!

Yeah but hang on...................wheres the fence that keeps the public away from seeing it close up?

Dave Taylor gb.png

>Yeah but hang on...................wheres the fence that>keeps the public away from seeing it close up?You mean you can't go right up to the stones? It's all fenced off?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>>Yeah but hang on...................wheres the fence that>>keeps the public away from seeing it close up?>>You mean you can't go right up to the stones? It's all fenced>off?>Not anymore. When I was there in 1972 I was able to touch them. Last year when I was there, a single rope fence about 2' was there.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Guest JIMJAM

I was there 2 months ago visiting from US.A small rope went around the entire site with a partial walkway.Basically plywood sheets laid out in certain areas to keep your feet out of the mud.If you can, NOW is the time to visit. In the near future, I have the feeling StoneHenge is really going to become a tourist attraction.Purist might consider that it already is but some of the future ideas I have heard are really going to ruin it.

Guest Tingoose

There's also a fence surrounding the henge much further out. It wouldn't stop a spring lamb. At night you wouldn't be seen creeping up to the stones except for the 24 hour guard. These are much in evidence especially during the corn circle period and the summer solstice, not to mention the UFO and strange lights in the sky sighting season, all around the May-June period. Has anyone made an addon for corn circles and UFOs in Wiltshire yet?

It was very busy last summer when I was there-difficult to get a photo with no one in front of you. Even in 1972 it was somewhat crowded when you could touch the stones. I bet when the Olympics come it will be really crazy.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

>There's also a fence surrounding the henge much further out. >It wouldn't stop a spring lamb. At night you wouldn't be seen>creeping up to the stones except for the 24 hour guard. These>are much in evidence especially during the corn circle period>and the summer solstice, not to mention the UFO and strange>lights in the sky sighting season, all around the May-June>period. Has anyone made an addon for corn circles and UFOs in>Wiltshire yet?Hi there!Are you from Wiltshire? I'm from Amesbury just 2 miles away from Stonehenge - though living in Warsaw at the moment. Just curious.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)