Sign in to follow this  
Tim_Capps

THEY LIVE! Classic Jets in 5.2

Got it.

I had a rogue P3D v4 file sitting amongst v5 folders.

When I deleted that then the installment went ok.

Headed out from LDDU

T45 (P3D v5.2HF1)

ad-1.jpg

Just checking in - the Sky Simulations DC-9's and their new MD-10 all work fine.

I hate to admit it though - I just landed the PMDG 777-200ER at LMML after flying in from Dubai.  For some reason I couldn't get the Petula Clark song "Downtown" out of my head - finally had to start singing along on final into Luqa 🙂  Next flight will be in the 10...

Life is good...

Mark

Mmmm thanks for this reminder, I didn't think I could install the Coolsky DC-9 again in P3Dv5.2. It's high time to fix this!😎

Richard.

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

I’m desperate for a Continental coolsky dc9 livery, to buzz around in those old routes for a few weekends. McPhat’s livery packages had one, but they can’t be bought anywhere anymore. If anyone has seen one, please let me know!

Edited by Bryn

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

10 minutes ago, Bryn said:

I’m desperate for a Continental coolsky dc9 livery, to buzz around in those old routes for a few weekends. McPhat’s livery packages had one, but they can’t be bought anywhere anymore. If anyone has seen one, please let me know!

Bryn that paint was part of the Coolsky/McPhat DC-9 Livery pack which and is sadlyno longer available commercially due to the demise of McPhat-Coolsky. The guys who did that original work all parted company. Strangely the Continental Livery was not included in the Flight1 re-release of the DC-9 as the Super Package with the MD80 and Super 80 for P3D and I never got it either. It took me many months to finally get the grey and brown VC textures they did ( I had never seen a green coloured cockpit in real life in my part of the world they were all standard grey). That came from a member at the Flight1 forum for the DC-9 which is active but not very. If you join there and ask somebody may have it. F1 cannot do any of these older textures as they no longer have them either but somebody must be paying for the Coolsky webpages to keep going if they are all dead ends in terms of getting something!

• Like 1

Of topic but you never know, well one that I cannot think will ever see the light of day in P3D because it never happened with a VC in FSX either but the Convair 880/990 rocket ships. Ah the mighty Convair, TWA, Cathay, Spantex and JAL all had them for years super quick and very stylish looking aeroplane!

The HJG group have some really good ones but they are all effectively 2D/2004 era models, so no VC (I gave up 2D panels with FS98) and they absolutely hate to modernise anything at HJG (It is 2004 or nothing with those guys, shame they covered all the classic jets brilliantly, cockpit variations, sound, paint jobs etc) and no means of grafting one without a rebuild of the models to work in GMAX etc. 

I'd forgotten about the McPhat livery packages; I just re-downloaded them all through my F1 client, and the license keys still work.  All Super 80 packs installed correctly too!  Hard to believe I just reinstalled software I purchased over 11 years ago...

Is anyone else finding the JF DC-8 really mushy on landing? Unless I make a perfect, soft touchdown it seems like it wants to yaw and wobble. Like the shocks are shot. Don’t suppose there’s a quick fix for that.

Tim,

Re: Flight1 / Coolsky DC-9. 

I seen your posted topic [Confused Potential Buyer, October 2020] in the flight1 Ultimate Airliners forum:
http://s80.flight1.net/forums/confused-potential-buyer_topic9059.html

Espen mentioned :
The DC-9 Classic is only available for the P3D platform in the Megapack.

Is that the current Megapack from October 2020 or is there a more recent one?

Is th current Megapack just for P3Dv4?

Note:
I sent Espen an e-mail a couple weeks ago asking if his products were sill for sale from Flight1, will he updating products for P3Dv5 and was he still supporting the products by e-mail or on a forum?
I have not gotten a reply yet.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

DC-8 "mushy" on landing ?

Not here... but then again, they don't call me "Captain Crash" without reason...! 🙂

4 hours ago, Bunkie said:

Not here... but then again, they don't call me "Captain Crash" without reason...!

Wow. I feel so much better now that I can't blame the airplane for my crappy landings 😄

8 hours ago, vonmar said:

Is that the current Megapack from October 2020 or is there a more recent one? Is th current Megapack just for P3Dv4?

I was hesitant for a long time before getting it, because I didn't want to shell out and it turned out that it didn't work, or (more likely) required some computer voodoo beyond me. This is what I can tell you. I had bought both the MD-80 and the DC-9 in FSX a long, long time ago. Miracle of miracles, I found my Flight1 account info and when I logged in I found a coupon for the P3D update as a "Megapack." I think it's version 4 and there probably won't be any more. Anyway, I got it for a substantial discount and installed it without any drama whatsoever. The DC-9 is more fully realized than the MD-80 (which has some weak VC graphics) but both are very good performers and fun to fly. Everyone was right: it worked fine in P3D v5. I can't comment on where Espen is going (if anywhere) with further development except to say I didn't see evidence of anything last time I looked. I won't go into the business reasons behind all this, which you may already know, but that's probably why they're not very responsive. I was concerned about support, but (unlike Just Flight's stuff) I haven't had the need for that. I hate to tell anyone, "yes, it will absolutely work for you even though it is not listed for your sim," because I am not very tech savvy. All I can say is it works for me and a lot of other people and is very nice if you have an interest in the airplanes. And a good deal, considering what you get.

UPDATE: Of the airplanes I mentioned, I'm finding the Just Flight L1011-500 less satisfying than the others for a variety of reasons, mostly having to do with the fact it has not (in my opinion) aged well, but also because of some annoying problems. I can give the Captain Sim L1011-100 an unqualified endorsement. The other is still on probation. The suggestion of the Just Flight (CLS) DC-10 was good. It is indeed "lite," but drop-dead gorgeous and I have high hopes that it will meet the fairly low expectations I have for it operationally. (And some good people have put a lot of time into mods for it; I have yet to get into all that.) The Flight1 (Coolsky) DC-9 and  CS 737-200 (with the Total Overhaul Mod) also get unqualified endorsements. The MD-80 Classic and Professional that comes with the DC-9 in the "Megapack" gets an endorsement qualified only by the VC graphics, which I think are vastly outweighed by its good points. The Just Flight DC-8s are a blast, in my opinion, and a great bargain, but not without the typical Just Flight inconsistent attention to detail and not much in the way of useful support. I still like it better than the Aerosoft DC-8, which is solid, but I personally find uninspiring. Weird how I can find a technically better airplane less fun. Maybe I just enjoy quirky airplanes, like the Just Flight BAC One Eleven. It's not to the level of the DC-8, so I can't give much of an endorsement, but it's a valued part of my fleet after figuring out how to work around things like the "Realistic T-tail Deep Stall" feature (?) A lot depends on your interest in a particular airplane versus the compromises you're willing to make. I really want a One Eleven, so I'm very forgiving and willing to work around its shortcomings.

I found the Milviz 732 in my Flight1 account, too. First attempt to install was a failure, but I'll keep at it, because it was a nice airplane, and unusual.

I just wanted to be clear that my rundown was what's available and a quick look at strengths and weaknesses, not "go buy these now." Not that you would, but...

NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT:

Since having to install a TAMIL font to get the FMC to work in Just Flight's DC-8, there's some keystroke I accidently hit every once in a while that turns my correspondence into... I assume it's Tamil 🤣

Ah, if you're switching into Tamil you didn't follow the instructions!  If I recall correctly, there were a couple options once you'd installed the font, and I remember one of them basically allowing you to have a bilingual keyboard, Tamil/English.   

Funny, but I agree with you - sometimes more simple models end up appealing more than the full-blown variety.  Let's face it, sometimes you just want to kick the tires and light the fires, instead of trying to remember page 57 of the manual that you glanced at a couple years ago... Cntl-E start, wip in the numbers in the AP, and lets go watch scenery coast by!  Yeehaw!

And... I just landed the Flying Tigers DC-8-63CF at Rome.  Not a hint of mushiness anywhere on the peninsula... sorry 🙂

And I just landed the Milviz 737-200. Another really nice little airplane... even better than I remember. But don't check the wx radar box in the config tool. It crashed P3D twice before I remembered. I'm going to look at Accu-Feel to see if that might account for some mushiness. Yeah. That must be it. Because I'm good. And you're right. I didn't follow the instructions. If I wanted to do that I would be flying a PMDG 797 SuperMax,

25 minutes ago, Bunkie said:

didn't follow the instructions!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tim_Capps said:

And I just landed the Milviz 737-200. Another really nice little airplane... even better than I remember. But don't check the wx radar box in the config tool. It crashed P3D twice before I remembered. I'm going to look at Accu-Feel to see if that might account for some mushiness. Yeah. That must be it. Because I'm good. And you're right. I didn't follow the instructions. If I wanted to do that I would be flying a PMDG 797 SuperMax,

JF VC-10 loads into v5.2HF1 without issues & flies very smoothly.

T45