Sign in to follow this  
Tim_Capps

THEY LIVE! Classic Jets in 5.2

One of the aircraft i really enjoy flying is the BAE 146.

JF have several variations in their store.

There is the 146 200/300, which goes to P3D v2. I tried it in v5.2 but it didn't load fully.

They have a QW Ultimate 146 for v4 for $19.95, & a 146 Professional, [v4 & v5], for $84.99.

I think you can see where I am going with this, austerity drives & so on.

Has anyone successfully run the QW 146 for v4, in v5?

T45

30 minutes ago, Treetops45 said:

JF VC-10 loads into v5.2HF1 without issues & flies very smoothly.

T45

Note that while the JF VC-10 Jetliner loads into v5.2HF1 without issues, the JF VC-10 Professional does NOT.

2 minutes ago, Treetops45 said:

One of the aircraft i really enjoy flying is the BAE 146.

JF have several variations in their store.

There is the 146 200/300, which goes to P3D v2. I tried it in v5.2 but it didn't load fully.

They have a QW Ultimate 146 for v4 for $19.95, & a 146 Professional, [v4 & v5], for $84.99.

I think you can see where I am going with this, austerity drives & so on.

T45

The QW BAe 146/Avro RJs run successfully in v5. For $19.95 the QW Ultimate is a steal. Not as advanced as the 146 Pro I'm sure.

Edited by Alistair Logie
Added context

Yes - I had Accufeel on with the DC-8 once and it was like flying a tin full of worms... all squirmy and mushy.  That's GOT to be it...

25 minutes ago, Alistair Logie said:

The QW BAe 146/Avro RJs run successfully in v5. For $19.95 the QW Ultimate is a steal. Not as advanced as the 146 Pro I'm sure.

I can confirm the QW Ultimate in v5, I had forgotten I had purchased it years ago & updated just now though Flight1 & it runs nicely.

T45

39 minutes ago, Treetops45 said:

I’m curious as well.

Trying it in my sim…the plane seems to functionally be there but I have zero exterior lighting.  So, unflyable for me unfortunately - shame because it’s definitely one of my favorite regionals; would love to have it running in v5.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

56 minutes ago, CaptKornDog said:

I’m curious as well.

Trying it in my sim…the plane seems to functionally be there but I have zero exterior lighting.  So, unflyable for me unfortunately - shame because it’s definitely one of my favorite regionals; would love to have it running in v5.

"zero exterior lighting"

Nav lights, landing lights etc?

T45

2 hours ago, CaptKornDog said:

I’m curious as well.

I just double-checked and I don't see any issues with exterior lighting. Not sure if an uninstall/re-install of the plane might help?

9 hours ago, Treetops45 said:

Yes it works. Make sure enough power is on (APU running, Gen set)

em8sFgW.jpg

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

There is a separate P3Dv5 installer for the QW BAe 146/Avro RJs on their Homepage at the Servicepacks. You than can also use the load- and liverymanager without problems

• Upvote 2

Cheers,
Michael

Aorus Master z390 / i9 9900KS / GTX 1070@2.1 / 32 GB Ram / all watercooled

16 hours ago, Tim_Capps said:

And I just landed the Milviz 737-200. Another really nice little airplane... even better than I remember. But don't check the wx radar box in the config tool. It crashed P3D twice before I remembered. I'm going to look at Accu-Feel to see if that might account for some mushiness. Yeah. That must be it. Because I'm good. And you're right. I didn't follow the instructions. If I wanted to do that I would be flying a PMDG 797 SuperMax,

Tim,

Regarding the Milviz 737 - is the autopilot working ?  I remember that being a bit awkward... just wondering if everybody's home in  V5 ?

3 hours ago, Bunkie said:

Regarding the Milviz 737 - is the autopilot working ?  I remember that being a bit awkward... just wondering if everybody's home in  V5 ?

For the P3DV4 version they just removed the better autopilot, which didn´t work. The less complicated autopilot works well but needs more attention by the pilot. Heading and Altitude can be controlled, but there´s not just a LNAV button to follow the route. It runs fine in V5 except for configurations with MVAMS (mainly load and gravel set) but this can be changed manually. I added a gps in the VC. It´s no big deal, since there is already a predefined entry in the panel.cfg for an empty gps. The radar can not be used. But I will certainly not buy the v5 radar, which does not work at the moment and needs Milviz to fix it after every P3D Hotfix.

Edited by blaunarwal

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

Thanks Blaunarwal,

Very helpful info - which means I think I'll give it a pass.  I own a copy, but I have so many 737's that actually work "out of the box" I don't need another one!

Cheers,

Mark

6 hours ago, Bunkie said:

First, the radar: I think it installs automatically. At least mine got installed. I haven't bothered uninstalling it if you can do that. BUT there's a configuration tool, and you have the option to uncheck wx radar for your intended airplane. You have to do that or it will crash P3D. So you won't have it, but that's the way it is.

Autopilot. Short answer: yes.Don't know what feature was taken away--seems like a pretty good representation of the old model.

Longer answer (not for you, but anyone reading this that is unfamiliar with all this ancient stuff): CWS--Control Wheel Steering! This is a concept that confused me for a long time, but I was overthinking it. Pull and/or turn and the yoke will "stick" if you have the autopilot servos engaged. Magic! That's your "VNAV." It also has a heading bug (don't miss the little engage switch  on the glareshield) for "LNAV" instead of CWS, because CWS won't fly a heading, just turn. Forever. And  you have an altitude hold knob to engage once you're at the desired altitude. (There's also a flight director on the glareshield that looks deceptively like an autopilot, but that just tells you what to do while actually hands-on-yoke flying. Flight directors are sometimes the part devs don't get to work very well, but this one seems to--you match the little airplane wings with the triangle.) There's a digital altitude setting on the pedestal, but that doesn't do anything, either, except remind you what altitude you're supposed to be at, and beeps at you when you get close to it. I have not tried the ILS. I would disengage no later than 200 feet above the runway and finish the job, but you're landing on gravel in some remote valley in western Canada delivering VHS tapes or polio vaccine or whatever, so there isn't any ILS there. And you navigate by radio. That means you dial in radio frequencies on your NAV radio for a VOR in the general direction of where you want to go, turn the autopilot knob to VOR/LOC, twirl the course (not heading) knob until the big broken needle lines up. and it will fly that course. When you get there, time to do the same for the next navaid. The only additional complication is you're really supposed to set the course you want and the needle will be "broken." It won't line up. So you fly in the direction of the "break." perhaps using your autopilot on heading, and engage VOR/LOC. (Yep, they can be used separately at the same time.) When it intercepts the course you wanted and set, and the broken part of the needle starts to move to line up, it will automagically turn. Same principle for ILS, except it should also control altitude according to the glideslope.

You get points for style this way: as you're approaching the VOR, set your heading bug to the new course for the upcoming leg. Just before you get to your VOR, engage heading for your new direction. Then dial in your new NAV frequency and set your new course. Why? Without getting into details, this is the best way to make the turn at the right moment. Otherwise you'll overfly the original VOR, it will stop working temporarily and you'll be wondering what's going on... very sloppy.

There are other refinements, such as using two different navaids (one reason you have two) to help you know where you are, and ADFs, which don't give you distance, but this other stuff is pretty easy to pick up along the way. And for those who might check out this thread and be intrigued but are intimidated by airplanes that are not fire and forget, this is how you do it. It's really not hard at all. Just takes some practice and experience. The great thing is, this is the way you do it in every airplane, so once you get it, there's no stopping you. Yeah, some old ones might have a knob you can turn up and down to control vertical speed, or some other refinement, but it doesn't change much. And when you're in one of those new fancy jetlilners, you can impress your friends by flying that approach using the radio navigation aids published on the charts.

Oh, autothrottle? Bwa ha ha!

• Like 1

By the way, the JustFlight L1011 is growing on me. Without commenting on relative merits, I'll admit that I was comparing it to the Captain Sim L1011. Taken on its own, it's not too bad once you get used to it, and it will land itself like a good L1011 should. Yes, it's a bit dated and some of the cockpit sounds are annoying, but the jury is currently 8-4 in favor of acquittal on the crime of being an awful airplane. That sounds like damning with faint praise, but for what its worth, I'm keeping it and it will have its uses. EDIT: Wow, I didn't expect "damning" to make it past the swear nanny. And one thing I remembered: the cargo doors are supposed to open with the shift + E / 2 (i think; doesn't; matter because they won't). I had to program an unused button via FSUIPC to do the job.