Sign in to follow this  
Manny

Horizons VFR Generation X - How good is this.

I am really looking forward to feedback from folks who have Horizon VFR Generation and Megascenery's Hawaii X scenery.I love Megascenery's Hawaii. If its as good as MS Hawaii, I'll go ahead and get the Horizon VFR Gen X scenery for the UK.I'd appreciate some comparisons please.Looking at the screenshots in the website... the Horizons sceneries does seem as clear and or as good as Mega X. Thanks again...Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest sunstriker

HiI have all this scenery - UK I mean its excllent as far as Im concerned very clear etc. There are some issues, such as us still waiting for the night textures/lighting but on the whole you will be impressed.IMHO of courseRich (Xmas screenshot winner lol)

Thanks a lot rich.. I appreciate your response.Could I ask you for one more favor.Would it be possible for you to post a screen shot of a city (with highways) from the UK scenery and one similar city type highway shot of from the Megascenery Hawaii X in the screenshot thread? Whenever you get a chance..Manny

Manny

Guest cwright

Although Avsim have just announced it, it's actually been out for several months. All I can say is that it's the best scenery I've ever used by a long way. By the way, there's a free flyable demo of the Snowdonia area. It will give you an excellent introduction to some scenery that is truly spectacular.The textures are incredibly sharp. I've had very few problems with the dreaded dynamic blurred textures - and that's true of FSX in general. Despite the sharp textures I was surprised by the very good smoothness and high frame rates. Of course, currently there is no autogen and that certainly helps the frame rates. I can easily see my own house and I can recognise features such as the dome, the extension, the garage and the tree in the front garden.Horizon will be releasing a full autogen package (payware) for England & Wales later this year. Meanwhile they have an autogen demo that covers a very large area (Snowdonia). The autogen is stunning. The buildings are accurately matched to their real-world counterparts, as are the trees.When I first used the autogen demo, I noticed that the trees seemed to have shadows, which was pretty neat. I then realised that the shadows were actually the image of a real tree. In other words, Horizon have planted trees where there are trees in the real world - assuming they haven't been cut down! When they release the autogen, and if they haven't placed an autogen tree at the correct position in my front garden, I shall complain bitterly! The demo also includes some beautiful bridges and historical buildings, and many animated objects such as birds, dolphins, hang gliders, and even some climbers stranded on a mountain peak frantically waving at any passing aircraft - though I haven't actually found this yet! On one occasion I was cruising above Snowdonia when I saw a flight of geese off my right wing flying in a vee formation. Pure magic. But remember this is a demo and the full autogen/objects release may be some time yet.But there are some drawbacks as well. There is still no FSX water and no night lighting. These will be available as free downloads hopefully in the near future, but there are still no release dates. Horizon say they are delaying the night lighting release until they can get the highest quality, and i believe them. In my opinion the overall colours are a bit too strong and there are some faulty colourations that can be plain bizarre. But, compared to the Just Flight demo, I think the colours are far better. Try the Horizon demo and see what you think. Some people have reported very long loading times with this scenery (I started a discussion about this here before Christmas). Almost certainly these problems are not specific to the Horizon scenery but are probably due to FSX itself (FileMon shows that FSX is continuously making file accesses that are quite bizarre and certainly do not help performance). Adam Szofran said that he would check this problem when he had installed the Horizon scenery, but he never came back on that. My own loading times are quite acceptable.The Megascenery Hawaii scenery is very good but I think the Horizon offering is superior. One thing struck me: in the Horizon scenery buildings were accurately aligned with their real-world images while the buildings in Megascenery were placed quite sloppily.There's one other thing worth mentioning. The support given by the Horizon team on their forums is outstanding.Best regards, Chris

All right.. Just bought (placed the order) for the whole thing.I went to their user forum..they had some mindblowing screenshots. BTW..They won't let me download that demo (3D objects) until I had registerdc their product. That was kind of silly.Oh well.. Manny

Manny

Guest srathe

Manny,Did you get the 50% off when you placed the order (for their birthday celebration)? I tried to order, but it still showed full price in the shopping cart...waiting to finalize order until I'm sure the discount shows up.Thanks!Jesse

>Manny,>>Did you get the 50% off when you placed the order (for their>birthday celebration)? I tried to order, but it still showed>full price in the shopping cart...waiting to finalize order>until I'm sure the discount shows up.>>Thanks!>>JesseHi Jess.. Well I placed the order at eDimensional. since they would ship it to me quicker from the US. And they did NOT apply nor display the discount (Maybe they were not told). and yes.. I saw the 50% off at Horizon. I sent them an e-mail saying I have ordered it..but the 50% was not applied.Lets see ..what happens.:)Manny

Manny

Guest srathe

Thanks, Manny. I'll let you know what I find out too. Hopefully they'll respond to my inquiry on Monday when they're back at work. No presidents' day in the UK, I'd assume :)Jesse

Guest cwright

>> No presidents' day in the UK, I'd assume :)>>>>No Presidents. :-hah Apart from Blair, of course!Best regards, Chris

Guest srathe

And for what it's worth, the web site now has the discount listed...so I just ordered it for $74.99. Looking forward to trying it out.

>And for what it's worth, the web site now has the discount>listed...so I just ordered it for $74.99. Looking forward to>trying it out.>Yeah..I saw that. I ordered it from eDimensional and I called them today. They said..they'd investigate and let me knowManny

Manny