Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Real life aviation & flying book recommendations.

Guest AeroFox

Hi guys, i'm sure most of us over here is eager to learn more about aviation and flying. Thats why most of us put ourselfs into manuals and complicated books about aviation. Every new subject we learn makes difference. Well, I usually purchase 1 book a month.So far i recommend these 3 books, Please give it a shot and recommend some books you read before, especially instrument flying and airline flying procedure books.Here is my TOP list1. The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual ISBN: 08138002342. ASA Pilot Manual Series , Instrument Flying ISBN: 1560275413 3. Rod Machado's Instrument Pilot's Survival Manual ISBN: 0971201501

Guest CRJ700FO

> > > Hi guys, i'm sure most of us over here is eager to learn more>about aviation and flying. Thats why most of us put ourselfs>into manuals and complicated books about aviation. Every new>subject we learn makes difference. >> Well, I usually purchase 1 book a month.>So far i recommend these 3 books, Please give it a shot and>recommend some books you read before, especially instrument>flying and airline flying procedure books.>>Here is my TOP list>>1. The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual ISBN:>0813800234>2. ASA Pilot Manual Series , Instrument Flying ISBN:>1560275413 >3. Rod Machado's Instrument Pilot's Survival Manual ISBN:>0971201501i'll second your #1. an EXCELLENT and EASY to understand book.

Guest Tim__757

Hi AllIts been ages since I posted on AVSIM, but figured I'd post my "list" of good reference material. OK, the disclaimer:There are different areas of Aviation and we are at different levels in our journey...so from a pro-pilot point of view these are the ones I'd recommend if you are interested in Heavy Iron flying:1. "Fly the Wing" by Webb (Iowa State University) CLASSIC on how the aviation system works in airline ops. Covers about 99% of the day-to-day stuff. I think it comes with a DVD/CD now too.2. "Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot" by Lengel. If you are a US pilot this is the EASY to read book on Fed Regs and all the other good stuff/hints etc. The book I would want to have written if I was a aviation lawyer and had a few months on my hand.3. "Transport Catagory Aircraft System" by Wild (Jeppesen) Not sure if this is still available or not. Take Brown and Holt's "Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual" and inject it with steroids and you have this book.4. Any of the Boeing Guides and "What Every New Hire Should Know" by Mike Ray. Mike's a UAL line pilot who's guides are legendary.5. "Guide to Boeing 757/767/747400 FMS" I can't recall the author's name(its a strange name like "buffer") and I am sitting about 670DME from my library. Its a small brown but expensive book on the insides of Flight Management Systems. No-Doze required but good reference book6. "The Art of Instrument Flying" published by Tab. OK, I haven't cracked that book open in 7 yrs but if it sticks in my mind as a good book on the topic there must be a reason.7. "Air Disasters Vol 1/2/3/4" Ok, learn from the errors of other. Even in our annual General Refresher class we review NTSB "stuff".8. Subscription to "Professional Pilot" magazine. OK, its free to those on the inside but has a lot of good business side pilot aviation stuff.Well, that's enough for now....Tim__757

this post type comes up several times a year - you will get some hits on a search that may helpfor me, take a look at 'Air Vagabonds' - nice read

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Although I am a new pilot, I still think "Stick and Rudder" is a classic and every CFI I've mentioned it to considers it a good read. -John