Sign in to follow this  
Darren_Beattie

Sim Running Hot For Prolonged Time

1 hour ago, swiesma said:

Undervolt it with Afterburner. Pretty easy. I got my 3080ti from 400 Watt and 82 degrees to 300 Watt and 70 degrees with almost the same 3DMark score just by undervolting it. 

And I got an even higher score than stock. Undervolting is key for temps. And lower temps mean higher frequencies. 

This is the voltage curve I use at the moment. Its running around 10 degrees cooler than stock:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vDkNz19tchCWR4ud8

And this is the result:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TKkJnhBNHnsR4yzP7

Long story short: You wont regret undervolting!

Just to exchange some info.

Reading on different forums it appears that actually under-volting/over-volting can lower a GPUs ability to perform and graphics stability. You basically increase the chances of artifacts, black screens, freezes, etc due to VRAM errors. And no it really doesn't reduce temps. If you lower the volts, amps go up to hold the wattage needed.

IMHO, this is not the correct fix to downgrade a good video card just to accommodate faulty coding and potentially create more problems.
Again, it seems that some prefer to do it versus reporting the problem as an issue and have it fixed by the developer.
This guy  https://youtu.be/eFc2kHuxfk0 just did a simple adjustment without any underclock, under-voltage and many are quite happy with temps with proper PC ventilation.
  • Like 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

My 2080TI never goes over 65C, I set my monitor at 75hz in NVP and use V-sync in game set to 30, that will lock my fps to 37.5, half my monitors refresh rate, unlocked I get between 50 -60 fps, but then the GPU temp rises to 77C.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

49 minutes ago, killthespam said:

Just to exchange some info.

Reading on different forums it appears that actually under-volting/over-volting can lower a GPUs ability to perform and graphics stability. You basically increase the chances of artifacts, black screens, freezes, etc due to VRAM errors. And no it really doesn't reduce temps. If you lower the volts, amps go up to hold the wattage needed.

IMHO, this is not the correct fix to downgrade a good video card just to accommodate faulty coding and potentially create more problems.
Again, it seems that some prefer to do it versus reporting the problem as an issue and have it fixed by the developer.
This guy  https://youtu.be/eFc2kHuxfk0 just did a simple adjustment without any underclock, under-voltage and many are quite happy with temps with proper PC ventilation.

Sorry. That’s wrong. For GPUs and CPUs. 

i undervolted both CPU and GPU and run different Benchmarks afterwards. All run fine with higher scores. Especially the Ryzen 5000 are great at undervolting. My 5900x runs single core at 5,1 GHz with lower temps than stock and also multicore score in cinebench is way up. 

So - where is the downside? I get better scores and lower temps. And if you say you don’t get better temps by undervolting - then we can end this here. 

Just google for Ryzen undervolting PBO2 - and „rtx 3000 undervolting“. 
i know almost all Threads. And I never heard about what you say. Sorry. 

Or let me ask: why is my 3D Mark score higher than stock and with lower temps?

edit: your assumption about wattage is plain wrong. If you lower the voltage the wattage will go down. Like I said. My 3080ti runs stock at around 430-450 Watts. But I can reduce this to around 300 watts and I jus loose 1200 points in 3d mark and then run at around 65 degree. 

Edited by swiesma

Is undervolting bad for GPU?

Undervolting a GPU won't damage it, but it won't necessarily result in desirable operation either. ... You won't damage your GPU by undervolting it, but you do risk losing a bit of stability. You'll have to decide if the power savings and cooler operation is worth the slight risk of instability.

Is undervolting bad for CPU?

While undervolting doesn't damage your CPU, overdoing it can make your system unstable (though it's easy to reverse). ... Undervolting, simply put, reduces the amount of power/voltage being directed to your CPU.

Is undervolting GPU a good idea?

For this reason, the benefit of iGPU Undervolting is very slim and does not warrant the time and risk. Conclusion: we do not recommend iGPU Undervolting. If you still want to try it anyway, please keep in mind that GPU Undervolting has different testing methods and different worst-case scenarios.

Does undervolting increase FPS?

Undervolting will help you avoid CPU throttling, keeps your PC gaming for a long time, But it will not increase the gaming performance.

"Conclusion: we do not recommend iGPU Undervolting."

No one here is talking about iGPU's as far as i can see.  Not sure why you bolded that bit.

5 hours ago, The Moose said:

Have you checked for dust?   If not take it out and give it a good blast of compressed air.

How old is the card? If over a couple of years then consider re applying some decent thermal paste.

For reference my 2060 Super maxes hits 76C at worst in the sim and it has rubbish cooling. 

What brand is it btw? 

It’s an MSI 2070S it’s just passed it’s second birthday. From outside looking in I can’t see any real dust build up other than within the fans a little bit. I’m not a computer expert so would be wary trying to remove it less I cause damage.

44 minutes ago, Darren_Beattie said:

It’s an MSI 2070S it’s just passed it’s second birthday. From outside looking in I can’t see any real dust build up other than within the fans a little bit. I’m not a computer expert so would be wary trying to remove it less I cause damage.

It's usually clogging up the fins of the heatsink, so probably wont be visible at a glance.

If you've never cleaned it in 2 years there's a high probability this is at the least contributing to the problem.

Removing a GPU is dead simple, (couple of screws, unplug the power cable(s) hold the little latch at the rear end of the pcie slot and slide the card out) but if you're really not comfortable then get a tech savvy friend to do it. 

Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I would definitely be looking to re-paste it after 2 years as well personally, but that's a job beyond your confidence levels at the moment I suspect!

This is the difference a clean and re-paste can make.  He went from 83c to 70c and got a performance boost as well. so if you know anyone you trust to do it.. do it 😉

I've achieved similar results in the past.  Same for CPU. Cleaning the cooler and re-pasting.  My friend asked me to see why his CPU was running at over 90c  A clean of the cooler and re-paste brought it down to 55c max under load!

Edited by The Moose

I'm also getting high temps on my Titan RTX since SU5. I've gone back and checked by running P3D and XP maxed out and MSFS is maybe 6 or 7 degrees up, and pushing my card to near its limit, power wise.

As this seems to be a coding issue, I'm not going to start messing about with voltages and such things, so my solution has been fairly simple. I've taken the side panel off my PC when running the sim. Safe enough as the PC is up on a desk so is not going to suck in fluff and other muck off the floor. And it pretty much negates that temperature rise.

(oh, and yes my case was well ventilated and cooled to begin with and I blow all the dust out regularly with an air blower)

I prefer simple solutions where possible - technology I can handle <grin>

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

32 minutes ago, The Moose said:

It's usually clogging up the fins of the heatsink, so probably wont be visible at a glance.

If you've never cleaned it in 2 years there's a high probability this is at the least contributing to the problem.

Removing a GPU is dead simple, (couple of screws, unplug the power cable(s) hold the little latch at the rear end of the pcie slot and slide the card out) but if you're really not comfortable then get a tech savvy friend to do it. 

Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I would definitely be looking to re-paste it after 2 years as well personally, but that's a job beyond your confidence levels at the moment I suspect!

This is the difference a clean and re-paste can make.  He went from 83c to 70c and got a performance boost as well. so if you know anyone you trust to do it.. do it 😉

I've achieved similar results in the past.  Same for CPU. Cleaning the cooler and re-pasting.  My friend asked me to see why his CPU was running at over 90c  A clean of the cooler and re-paste brought it down to 55c max under load!

So I took the card out and gave the fans and heat sinks a quick blast with the air duster, I couldn’t see much come out but once it was back in the resting temp was down by 5c which was surprising. I’ve also brought the power output down a bit when the sim is running too. Less preformance perhaps but better temps

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Moose said:

"Conclusion: we do not recommend iGPU Undervolting."

No one here is talking about iGPU's as far as i can see.  Not sure why you bolded that bit.

I don't know what happened. It didn't look like that on my phone, but I see it now on my PC.

That iGPU was additional info that I found, you can disregard it as well the whole info if bothers you.

• Like 1

In the nVidia control panel there is a power management option,  if set to "prefer maximum performance",  the GPU will maintain it's highest clock speeds at all times,   and never dynamically down clock in response to gpu utilization percentage.   

Windows has a similar power option,   which can have a similar effect on your cpu when it's set to high performance.  War Thunder and FS20 both load my gpu to 100% in the Hangar.

My Asus Strix 3090 draws 480 watts max,  limited by it's bios.    My overclocked 10900k can pull  up to 320+ watts.  

Sitting in fs20's hangar my system pulls 600 watts just doing nothing.    Add 150 watts  for my oled/cable modem/router/ Sim peripherals. According  to the battery backup UPS,  I've seen  it pull 770 watts while flying over NYC.

HWinfo64 can show your power statistics and temps as well.    I use the portable version,  which doesnt require installation.   It just runs wherever you unzip it.  https://www.hwinfo.com/ 

Edited by Waldo Pepper
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Darren_Beattie said:

So I took the card out and gave the fans and heat sinks a quick blast with the air duster, I couldn’t see much come out but once it was back in the resting temp was down by 5c which was surprising. I’ve also brought the power output down a bit when the sim is running too. Less preformance perhaps but better temps

Great.. every little helps 🙂  

2 hours ago, swiesma said:

Sorry. That’s wrong. For GPUs and CPUs. 

i undervolted both CPU and GPU and run different Benchmarks afterwards. All run fine with higher scores. Especially the Ryzen 5000 are great at undervolting. My 5900x runs single core at 5,1 GHz with lower temps than stock and also multicore score in cinebench is way up. 

So - where is the downside? I get better scores and lower temps. And if you say you don’t get better temps by undervolting - then we can end this here. 

Just google for Ryzen undervolting PBO2 - and „rtx 3000 undervolting“. 
i know almost all Threads. And I never heard about what you say. Sorry. 

Or let me ask: why is my 3D Mark score higher than stock and with lower temps?

edit: your assumption about wattage is plain wrong. If you lower the voltage the wattage will go down. Like I said. My 3080ti runs stock at around 430-450 Watts. But I can reduce this to around 300 watts and I jus loose 1200 points in 3d mark and then run at around 65 degree. 

So why don’t the manufacturers “factory under-volt” them if there’s no penalty to pay and you get better performance with lower heat?

Sounds like nirvana. 

Depending on what fan configuration you have there is an alternative. I have a Zotac 1080 TI Amp Edition and the fans were really noisy. I found a tutorial whereby I removed the stock fan housing and two fans and basically attached 2 X Noctua - NF12's together with small zip ties then fixed them to the actual card with more of the same zip ties. They fit perfectly over the heatsink. I know for those of you that like the contents of your gaming rig's on show this will look awful. I have a large coolermaster case that sits below my desk so it never bothers me. The fans are rock solid and haven't budged an inch. Best of all I can simply revert to the standard config if I choose to sell the card. I can alter the speed of both fans in my Bios (connected to the card via a Y cable) but I just set them too 1,200 rpm and you can't hear them. I never see temps above 60 degrees using the High End preset in MSFS 2020 or high settings in X-Plane 11, most times they sit around 56 degrees, I also have a couple of Noctua case fans and my i5 9600K runs consistently @ 5Ghz with a Noctua NH-D15 Air cooler. The thing is massive and a work of art but is way more efficient than my previous corsair water cooler. I also clean my pc inside & out twice a year with my air compressor making sure all the fans & components are free of dust & crud.

I am currently in the middle of a 4 hour flight in the A32NX and my CPU is at 58 degrees & GPU is at 56 degrees. My rig has been rock solid since I installed the i5 and did the GPU mod 2 years ago

Edited by RJC68

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I removed the case door from my computer and my gpu ran on average 7c cooler or 44 F cooler....  Its a no brainer,.,  I dunno why pc makers put doors on these things.. must be to sell fancy cooling systems...