Sign in to follow this  

From the FAQ here:

The flight plan does not show up correctly in MSFS

MSFS has many issues loading flight plans. Additionally the format is not documented yet which requires a lot of guesswork.

The following issues are known so far:

• MSFS automatically adds transitions to approach procedures as well as SID and STAR if plan is of type IFR. Changing these results in a completely new routing.
  • Saving a direct plan between two airports of type IFR will result in MSFS adding intermediate waypoints and procedures like SID and STAR.
  • You cannot use airways or procedures for VFR flight plans. MSFS will quietly remove these.
  • MSFS cannot load round trips where destination is equal to departure in some cases.
  • MSFS uses turn anticipation which may result in wrong flight plan display in the GPS units or autopilot behavior. The GPS or autopilot will take a shortcut for hard turns which sometimes messes up a flight plan, for example. Turn anticipation is a function performed by FMS or RNAV devices to tell the pilot when to initiate a turn to the next waypoint on the programmed flight path to avoid overshooting the programmed course.
  • Altitude at waypoints and sometimes the cruise altitude is ignored and replaced by MSFS’ own idea of a climb and descent profile which has nothing to do with the Little Navmap profile. This happens despite Little Navmap saving the altitude for each waypoint.
  • Flight plan names must not contains special characters like umlauts or accents. Little Navmap replaces these automatically when exporting a plan.

Apart from these issues above you might see MSFS crashes or corrupted flight plans when loading.

Also read the chapter Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Airports and Navdata in the Little Navmap user manual to minimize issues with different navdata.

Alex

Edited by albar965
Turn anticipation.
  • Like 1

Asobo needs to know how my of us rely on LNM and @albar965 to enhance our flight sim experience. Any positive suggestions on how we would do this Alex?

PS - It's time to rally and kick Asobo's behind. Once you have again reached your level of protection @albar965, I feel it's time to go payware with all the LNM addons.

I don't have any real problems with Little NavMap and MSFS2020, but in flying a pre-built VFR flight plan, I wanted to add an approach to an airport, not as a procedure but just as two additional waypoints, which are valid Navigraph navaids.

The plan is PAHO to two user waypoints to PAMR.

PAHO
W1
W2
PAMR

I want to remove the 2nd user waypoint W2 and add YOHOE and RICKR to the plan. First, I can't find anything in the manual about inserting a waypoint/userpoint, Like clicking on the particular waypoint and having an "ADD" (or Add Before/Add After) function.

PAHO
W1
YOHOE
RICKR
PAMR

So do I just create a userpoint for each of the navaids? And then what is the best way to insert those waypoints into the plan?

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

15 hours ago, gpbarth said:

So do I just create a userpoint for each of the navaids? And then what is the best way to insert those waypoints into the plan?

No need to create a userpoint. You can right-click on a waypoint (provided its visible on the map, enable it in view menu if not) like YOHOE and select "Add Waypoint YOHOE to Flight Plan".

Or use in menu "Flight Plan" "Edit Flight Plan on Map" to use the drag and drop editing.

Alex

Interesting discussion, not sure anyone if still watching this thread, but, I'm using LNM, and can confirm:

flying the stock beech KA, I finally realised that MSFS pushes the star approach to after the destination runway. Trying to edit this in the plane's FD basically destroys the LNM flightplan loaded before, and I ended up having to re-enter the whole flightplan manually. So here's a question for Asobo: what is the point of allowing third party export/import of flightplans if MSFS is then going to do whatever it wants with them?

Edited by Gumbodadfs

9 hours ago, Gumbodadfs said:

So here's a question for Asobo: what is the point of allowing third party export/import of flightplans if MSFS is then going to do whatever it wants with them?

Good question. 🙂

I spent so much time finding out what they want in their flight plans and often they cannot load their own saved plans. Meh.
I think we can be happy that they at least allow to load something.🤷‍♂️

Alex

Ha. But here's an interesting one: of course, one example is most definitely not statistical certainty. However, I did another one of my flights yesterday. When preparing the flightplan in LNM, I proceeded in the following order in terms of adding elements of the flight plan : departure (parking) - destination - ILS at destination - STAR to ILS - SID at departure - calculate flightplan. Then save, export as pln.

To my surprise, the whole process went perfectly start to finish. The AP followed the whole flight plan, flew the STAR (added a wider curve towards final but OK), switched to LOC1/ILS automatically and led to a perfect landing.

What MSFS did mess up, was that their ATC kept telling me to climb to my cruise altitude up until I turned on final and I was directed to contact approach, despite the correct altitudes being displayed in the plane's FD, and therefore presumably somewhere in the "consciousness" of the MSFS ATC... I of course ignored the AP's altitude calls and followed the flight plan in the descent.

Edited by Gumbodadfs

4 hours ago, Gumbodadfs said:

To my surprise, the whole process went perfectly start to finish. The AP followed the whole flight plan, flew the STAR (added a wider curve towards final but OK), switched to LOC1/ILS automatically and led to a perfect landing.

Good to hear. 🙂

Thanks again to all who reacted. Just a quick update and a question. I've now figured out how to properly plan and execute a flight including landing on ils runways - very enjoyable, MSFS does follow the flight plan except for altitude, and for this I now follow the flight plan in the plane's FMS so I can (no kidding) request the altitude changes as I need them. I also have regularly MSFS ATC telling me to climb to say 9000 from about 4000 on the last leg before I'm supposed to capture the glide slope. Go figure. Anyway, I'm now finally back to the type of planned and controlled flying I was used to in FSX, plus all in VR which is the only way I do things in MSFS now.

I still use the stock King Air, but here's two rubs:

1. When I land, and I am at a correct (I assume) approach speed (90 or less), stall horn goes off just before touch down etc, I mostly float for a bit, or touch down but the nose does not unless I push it down. What am I doing wrong? Too fast? Should I not flare at all?

2. I cannot seem to be able to feather the props. I know this is an issue with MSFS (I can't feather in the Twin Otter either), but I just want to check this once again here, just in case there is a way to do this including with my controller...

Many thanks!

Hello Alex, 

From what I've read this could be the cause why I'm not able to implement FPL from little navmap to mfs. Once I create a flight plan and upload it to MFS it's messed up, I've tried variety of things to correct the issue, but nothing is working. Link below is to couple of images of flight plan. 

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/WDB9uAFdQ6aPopoShSBZiQ.kSPRhpqX-9LkYZrZxemw8s

2 hours ago, Velotrexx said:

From what I've read this could be the cause why I'm not able to implement FPL from little navmap to mfs. Once I create a flight plan and upload it to MFS it's messed up, I've tried variety of things to correct the issue, but nothing is working. Link below is to couple of images of flight plan. 

On your screenshots it looks like MSFS inserts its own approach transition.

How would I go about fixing this? Also,  what's weird is the fact that if I send the FPL  from LNV to Navigraph it all processes just fine, and then if I upload from navigraph to MFS it looks good as well. 

7 minutes ago, Velotrexx said:

How would I go about fixing this?

You cannot fix this and I cannot fix this. Asobo has to fix this. Their flight plan loading is broken from the beginning. I had several cases where I tried to reproduce issues and noticed that they cannot load their own plans which I created and saved in MSFS.

No idea what Navigraph is doing. They probably upload the plan without using files.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015913659-How-to-report-a-bug-

Alex