Sign in to follow this  
flibberflops

Ridiculous update size?

I like to start by saying that I really do apprciate the dedication from Asobo and MS to constantly develope this Simulator. However, after saying that I am getting more and more frustrated at the size and the method of theses updates.

This is my quick story...

For various reasons I had not touched my Sim for about a long while. It started with a few week gap but then I knew I would have to download a large update and it would be impossible to use without a considerable delay... so I left it. Then I realised 3 months had passed so the other day I bit the bullet and fired it up. I was expecting a 20-30GB update perhaps?

Nope, it was 115Gb (one hundred and fifteen).... and this wasn't includingworld updates or anything... it was just the update required before I could get into the menu! ....seriously???

Three hours later I had downloaded around about 40Gb of that update when the cat jumped on my PC, stood on the power button and performed a hard shutdown! %$&!

Then when i booted up I was stuck in the "checking for updates" loop.

An hour of cocking about ensued but nothing would fix the issue (emptying the community folder etc). So I was forced to perform a App reset.

That initiated a full fresh download of 127Gb. So with the cat selotaped to the wall I left it downloading.

Many, Many hours later I was back up and running again. However I wasn't done because apparently the "full install" download doesn't include the world updates which had to be downloaded seperately.

So in all my few week break resulted in about a 200Gb download in all. Ok yeah, some of this caused by the bloody cat but seriously the size of these updates are absoutely rediculous. I mean the full fresh download is 127GB. In the 3 months i didn't use the sim I had a 115Gb of updates waiting... which is 90% of the full Sim!

• Like 1

It pays to start MSFS occasionally to keep up with updates.  

• Like 4

You probably had modified some core files, that can force you to download everything again.

• Like 3

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

On the other hand, games nowadays can be huge, and that's just how it is.

I recently re-downloaded GTAIV, and I think it was about 100gb, and A Plague Tale from Asobo seemed to be similar.

Time for that fiber connection!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

23 minutes ago, Alvega said:

You probably had modified some core files, that can force you to download everything again.

I hadn't modified anything. I hadn't even added anything into the community folder (I only treid deleteing that folder because I found a post that said it might help deleting the folder even if it was empty). All I have ever done is start the Sim and use it.

• Like 1

I remember when a 8mb patch for Falcon 4 was considered huge  😄

• Like 3

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

12 minutes ago, flibberflops said:

I hadn't modified anything.

Thats, what they all say 😜

Maybe not you, maybe a tool or some mod did that, a full install is always, if something is change at the offical files!👨‍🎓

• Like 3

Stephan from Germany

My System

1 hour ago, Todd2 said:

It pays to start MSFS occasionally to keep up with updates.  

I will second this. I found that the latest (SU5) update actually amounted to only a small (few GB) net increase. Turns out that most of the MSFS updates primarily involve replacement of old files rather than new additions (some the earlier updates may be an exception to this). I have frankly been pleasantly surprised at how little my MSFS has increased in size over the last few months. I had thought I was going to soon have to buy a new drive for fear my current 500 GB one would fill up, but at this point it ain't happening!

Edited by cobalt
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, flibberflops said:

I hadn't modified anything. I hadn't even added anything into the community folder (I only treid deleteing that folder because I found a post that said it might help deleting the folder even if it was empty). All I have ever done is start the Sim and use it.

It could of been a glitch that caused it to download the entire sim. I was in the beta and it deleted the entire program when i went to start it up on the 27th.  Had to reinstall from scratch. 

Semper Fi 

10 minutes ago, sal9000 said:

Thats, what they all say 😜

Maybe not you, maybe a tool or some mod did that, a full install is always, if something is change at the offical files!👨‍🎓

I am a casual simmer... no mods, no tools. Nothing. I haven't even purchased any offical add ons.

Not sure why this is being twisted to try and make it look like these huge updates are somehow my fault? If there is someone else who hasn't updated their install for three months and didn't have the same experience as me then I would be inclined to pay more attention. However as you have no direct experience of such things then the suggestions are unhelpful

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, cobalt said:

I will second this. I found that the latest (SU5) update actually amounted to only a small (few GB) net increase. Turns out that most of the MSFS updates involve replacement of old files rather than new additions (some the earlier updates may be an exception to this). I have frankly been pleasantly surprised at how little my MSFS has increased in size over the last few months. I had thought I was going to soon have to buy a new drive for fear my current 500 GB one would fill up, but at this point it ain't happening!

Not sure what the difference is? Its clear to me that the total amount of downloads are the same if you update ever couple of weeks or wait 3 months.

1 minute ago, cobalt said:

Please see my comment above -- SU5 is not a huge update.

Thats the point I am making. Its clear to me that if you miss updates, you don't just download the latest one (i.e SU5) it downloads all of the ones you missed.

8 minutes ago, joec63 said:

It could of been a glitch that caused it to download the entire sim. I was in the beta and it deleted the entire program when i went to start it up on the 27th.  Had to reinstall from scratch. 

I would agree but the full download is 127gb... the my initial update was 115GB (which is not a full download)

4 minutes ago, flibberflops said:

.....Its clear to me that if you miss updates, you don't just download the latest one (i.e SU5) it downloads all of the ones you missed.

But wouldn't you want that? ...... to download all the older updates you missed, I mean?

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)