Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Trafic Tools for FSX

Guest N247K

I have devoted a little time reading the documents associated with creating traffic using the FSX Traffic SDK.As is almost always the case with technical docs, the documentation is written as if the writer's intent is the confuse the reader.I have a busy schedule right now, and just can't devote the time to figure it all out.Does anyone know of a forthcoming "TTOOLS" utility for FSX.Thanks for taking the time to read this!Bob

Guest cwright

Bob, I have used the original Traffic Tools (by Lee Swordy) in FSX and it worked just fine.Best regards, Chris

Guest abulaafia

Grapevine has it it's in the making. But the current one works perfectly well. Just point it your FSX (File - Locate Flight Simulator") It will write old-style traffic.bgls but they work just as well.

Guest N247K

Thanks for the replies!I'll give shot while waiting for Grapevine.Do you have any information on Grapevine - like a link to a site, perhaps?Many thanks again!BobFSXWindows XP ProfessionalVersion 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600Processorx86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~1866 MhzProcessorx86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~1866 MhzBIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.08, 9/18/2006SMBIOS Version 2.4Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MBAvailable Physical Memory 1.28 GBTotal Virtual Memory 2.00 GBAvailable Virtual Memory 1.96 GBPage File Space 3.85 GB

Guest abulaafia

it's on a thread on www.world-of-ai.com if I remember, but I don't know how reliable that is, hence the grapevine

>old-style traffic.bgls but they work just as well. They don't quite work just as well...but I guess they'll get the job done until TTools starts writing FSX-compliant traffic bgl's.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Phantoms

Also note that once you add a TT created traffic BGL, the default traffic will disappear. Right now, Microsoft's TDB created Flightplans and TT created flightplans will not coexist. Unfortunately, no one has figured out how to decompile TDB created flightplans effectively yet.

Thanks for that info guys, I've been been trying to figure out why I lost my all my "sea" traffic. That probally explains it.I bought Traffic (FSX) DVD and wanted to add a few more westjet flights across western canada after the install. Used their FSX Flightplan "editor" (which is compiled with lee's version 202) - and after that - poof - no more ship traffic. The trafficboats.bgl was untouched, but ships are gone.Restored the default FSX traffic bgl, the ships are back.Regards'Garett

Guest Phantoms

Yes, it's unfortunate really because compiling a flightplan with TDB requires a ton more info and you can not create flights unless the airports involved have parking to accomadate every flight. This is something that TT doesn't have to worry about and one of the reasons many flight planners plan to stick with it for now. It would be near impossible to model real world flights like PAI and WOAI do without getting errors and having flights left out because stock FSX airports in the plans do not have parking for every single plane.

>Yes, it's unfortunate really because compiling a flightplan>with TDB requires a ton more info and you can not create>flights unless the airports involved have parking to>accomadate every flight.You can easily get around that problem, to force TDBB to compile *all* of your flights.> This is something that TT doesn't>have to worry about and one of the reasons many flight>planners plan to stick with it for now. Then they are sticking with the wrong boat. TDBB only knows about your airports.dat file. It does not know or care how many AFCAD's you have installed. Thus, it is a simple enough matter to edit a custom airports.dat file, to add enough parking for all of your flights. Then, in the sim, in most cases you will be fine. It is very rare that you will run out of actual gate space. TDBB seems to be very conservative in its error-checking, which is good I guess.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

Guest Phantoms

Rhett, that's true. But one other thing holding TDB back is the ability to decompile the TDB created file. Until something like TT exists for TDB, many will continue to stick with TT created files. Just look at most of your flightplans in the file library. Even WOAI and PAI still use TT created flightplans. And as I stated, TT compiled plans and TDB compiled plans can not co-exist (the TDB ones disappear). Until major traffic players such as those above switch over, smaller flight planners have to stick with TT so their flights will show with them.

> But one other thing holding TDB back is>the ability to decompile the TDB created file. Look for the author Jens Rabmund in the AVSIM file library. He has written a program that will take a TTools plan and convert it into FSX format.It is not a perfect program, as some editing of the resulting (text) file is needed, but it's very useful.I have converted many large airlines (American, Delta, Continental) to FSX AI format using his tool.I would release these but I have used other people's plans, and I would have to get approval, I would think...The biggest error in his program is that it does not convert the day of the week correctly. You must subtract a day, which is a major hassle. The author left no contact info, however...>file library. Even WOAI and PAI still use TT created>flightplans. I maintain that WoAI and PAI are missing out by not converting their plans. Of course, it's still very early in FSX time and I expect things to change in the next 6 months. At present a user is left to having all FS2002/2004 plans, or all FSX plans. Kind of a transition time.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

Guest Phantoms

>>file library. Even WOAI and PAI still use TT created>>flightplans. >>I maintain that WoAI and PAI are missing out by not converting>their plans. Of course, it's still very early in FSX time and>I expect things to change in the next 6 months. At present a>user is left to having all FS2002/2004 plans, or all FSX>plans. Kind of a transition time.Rhett, I agree that it's still pretty early in the FSX game. I have seen you on FSDevelopers forums and some of the tools being worked on for FSX are coming along great. For now, I'm happy to stick with TT flightplans as long as they work. When the tools are available for FSX, I'm sure planners will slowly start swicthing over.James

That's my point there...the tools are available now. Mr. Rabmund's converter is a godsend, even though it's not perfect. RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett