Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Does MS/Asobo do soft updates?

I'm wondering if they have some way of updating certain things without us actually manually downloading?  When HF2 came out I was getting CTD's pretty regularly.  Now I haven't had a CTD in 3 days and the sim seems to be running much better.

I dont think so.

What I think is going on when that happens is that Windows updates or driver updates have occurred.  It could also be a shader cache that needs to be built over time so the sim runs better.

We tend to blame Asobo for things that are sometimes Windows based issues.

Edited by sightseer
  • Like 2

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

One potential issue is the rolling cache if for some reason it contains data that is incompatible with the new update. It may be worth deleting the rolling cache every update.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Todd2 said:

I'm wondering if they have some way of updating certain things without us actually manually downloading? 

I could answer that but then I would have to silence you.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

Just now, Espana Pete said:

I could answer that but then I would have to silence you.

haha 😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Todd2 said:

I'm wondering if they have some way of updating certain things without us actually manually downloading?  When HF2 came out I was getting CTD's pretty regularly.  Now I haven't had a CTD in 3 days and the sim seems to be running much better.

I was wondering exactly the same thing, because I haven't had a ctd in 24 hours, after experiencing lots of them while trying to launch exactly the same standard activities.

What did I change? NOTHING.

Puzzling.

Come to think of it: we are downloading data all the time: weather, traffic and scenery, so maybe there was something there ...

A.

Edited by ADamiani
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Todd2 said:

I wondered that too.  It seems the sim changes from day to day.  It is back to pretty smooth for me without CTD. 

I must say when it is smooth..it is like having your first...:)

Edited by knich

11 hours ago, Todd2 said:

Have you seen this thread? This Tuesday was “patch Tuesday” and my system also picked up some performance after installing this patch and updating to the latest nVidia drivers which also released this past week. 

Edited by neil0311
  • Like 2

Every time we use msfs we are downloading scenery, traffic, weather, etc from the MS servers.  Their content does change as I have seen bing ground textures change in certain areas from time to time. I do also wonder whether server load has a bearing in performance - if a lot of us are using the sim is that slowing down the servers and degrading performance?

As the OP also suggested, Windoze and driver updates might be having an effect too along with perhaps your GPU and CPU temps on a given day (e.g. in warmer weather).

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Not necessarily soft updates, but on a client-server architecture, some problems can be fixed by changing the code on the servers without the need to modify anything on the client side. With the recent updates related to SU5, I had the impression that the few CTDs I had occurred on the day of the update and maybe the day after, but then I spent many hours flying around without a single CTD.

One factor may be server load, e.g. if there's an issue with the networking code in MSFS, this may only come to light under specific load conditions, like after a network timeout somehow invalid data gets injected to the sim... But there are many possibilities, and it's easy to lose yourself in unfounded speculations without knowing more details.

Another reason could be certain packets of traffic or weather data that may crash the sim. As a workaround, these can be filtered out or corrected on the server once the issue is understood, long before a new update is rolled out to the users.

• Like 1

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

I personally think; few runs of a new update / software, settles down something and it runs smoother after few restarts. I noticed this up to now, after every update. (Not mentioning to restart one after install )

Its like machine parts that comform eachother over the time. Of course this is my observation / opinion.

• Like 2

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

3 hours ago, kt069 said:

I personally think; few runs of a new update / software, settles down something and it runs smoother after few restarts. I noticed this up to now, after every update. (Not mentioning to restart one after install )

Its like machine parts that comform each other over the time. Of course this is my observation / opinion.

That reminds me about buying new cars in the good old days, had to run them in for 500 - 1000 miles before you could open them up. Not many seem to bother these days but I still do it out of habit (substituting km for miles admittedly). 

So treat MSFS like an old jalopy straight off the production line and you will benefit 🙂 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H